Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Corporations and Starting Set-Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Lawrence
msg tools
mb
Hi there...

I have had several questions answered in this forum, but have not seen this. I have played the game several times, recently played with the non-beginner corporations (haven't added drafting yet, that seems like it would add a lot of time, but sounds interesting).

Anyway...When playing with the non-beginner corporations, do we still put all production levels at 1 for each of the 6 resources? The example in the rule book says this, but yet on at least one corporation (Thorgate) it says you start with 1 energy production. It doesn't say to add one energy production. We took that to mean that the card supersedes the rule book and everything starts at 0 except for the production mentioned on the Corp. cards. It makes for a long game, but it is doable...I wanted to check on here.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
You start with one production of each if you play standard game without corporate era cards and no production with those cards.

After that, you choose corporation and do with that card as if it was any other (blue) card played, so what's on the corporation card is added to the start value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
Here's an official reply on this topic:
(https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24021770#24021770)
EagleEye80 wrote:
Just want to confirm that Sebastian is 100% ríght!

TM can be played with a few different options, and unfortunately that creates some confusion sometimes:

There are 1 standard game and 1 expansion included in the box:
- Standard game: start with 1 extra production of everything (+corporation starting bonuses).
- Corporate Era Expansion ("extended game"): start without extra production of everything (but add corporation starting bonuses). Add all CE cards (red triangle in the frame).

Playing with or without extra production affects all players, no matter if they play with Beginner corporation or (regular) corporation!

There are also these options that work with standard game and expansions (CE and coming expansions):
- You can either choose a Beginner Corporation (intended for beginners), or choose between 2 of the regular corporations. Beginner Corps gets their 10 cards for free so they don't have to make any difficult choices during setup. The other players look at their 10 starting cards and 2 corporations at the same time and decide which cards they want to buy and which corp they want to play.
- You can play draft variant and draft the 4 cards in the Research Phase (draft is never applied on the 10 starting cards!).
- You can play solo - but then you always play with CE expansions (all the cards and no extra producion).

We hope that all these options offers more replayability, rather than headache to people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
I think the main confusion on this comes from the name of the cards:

"Corporate ERA cards"
"Corporation cards"

A standard game, which is just a game without corporate ERA cards (red/white triangle) , everyone starts with 1 production of each.

If you choose to play a standard game with the special corporation cards, you get to add whatever they say to your already +1 production.

Supposedly this helps new players, because they start with 10 free cards, and a big chunk of money.

So if you are playing a regular corporation in a game with beginners, you may start with a little more production then they will, but you will have significantly less money and cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roblaw wrote:
(haven't added drafting yet, that seems like it would add a lot of time, but sounds interesting).

While not your original question, just wanted to point out that drafting should not be a variant, but rather the standard rule. It makes a massive difference in choice and gameplay in a completely positive direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Roblaw wrote:
(haven't added drafting yet, that seems like it would add a lot of time, but sounds interesting).

While not your original question, just wanted to point out that drafting should not be a variant, but rather the standard rule. It makes a massive difference in choice and gameplay in a completely positive direction.

This is mere opinion, it is quite clear from the rules that drafting is a variant and so it should be because it adds length to an already (potentially) longish game. It is up to each individual group as to whether or not to use the variant based on whether they have a problem with the game as it is and whether they are happy with the increase in play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
DaveD wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Roblaw wrote:

This is mere opinion, it is quite clear from the rules that drafting is a variant and so it should be because it adds length to an already (potentially) longish game. It is up to each individual group as to whether or not to use the variant based on whether they have a problem with the game as it is and whether they are happy with the increase in play time.

It has been my focus during development to make the standard game a great game in it's own right. This game is fairly long so it was important to provide a basic game that is not too long and easy to play for new players. I have played almost exclusively without draft during the 5 years of development. I like having my cards reviewed, chosen or discarded without involving the other players. You might get weak draws from time to time, but over the course of a game, it's usually not a problem.

We still recommend starting your first games without Corporate Era Expansion and without draft. I would only play beginner corporation the first time to get into the game faster and then play the regular corporations, which are much more fun...

But of course, the point with expansions and game variants is that everyone can play the game the way they like. And more expansions are coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malek1 wrote:

If you choose to play a standard game with the special corporation cards, you get to add whatever they say to your already +1 production.

Just wanted to confirm that this is right... let's say we are playing Standard game and I have Ecoline that says on the card 2 Plant Production...

Do I start the game with everything producing 1 and Plant production on 3 OR it's everything Producing 1 and Plant Production on 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Roblaw wrote:

Is there something about my statement that indicates it's not opinion? I understand why it's a variant, but having played it several times now, and evaluating my first draw of the draft as if I had to work with that draw alone, I would never play "draw four and use them". I see the time added as negligible that only get better with more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Malek1 wrote:

Just wanted to confirm that this is right... let's say we are playing Standard game and I have Ecoline that says on the card 2 Plant Production...

Do I start the game with everything producing 1 and Plant production on 3 OR it's everything Producing 1 and Plant Production on 2?

3 plant production and 1 on everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
DaveD wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Roblaw wrote:

Is there something about my statement that indicates it's not opinion? I understand why it's a variant, but having played it several times now, and evaluating my first draw of the draft as if I had to work with that draw alone, I would never play "draw four and use them". I see the time added as negligible that only get better with more plays.

Although I recognised that you were stating an opinion, I felt that the way you presented it might be found confusing by some, maybe I misjudge people and if so I'm sorry.

I have to say based on my experience so far that I have found no problem with the game without drafting and it seems to me that, even without anyone with AP, using it would add several minutes per generation which could easily be half an hour or more over the course of a game, that is not insignificant in my eyes.

Also while drafting might sometimes give you a chance to get a better selection of cards, there are times (not that uncommon) where you receive multiple useful cards in your initial draw, meaning you would be forced to pass useful cards on with no guarantee of receiving something as good in the draft, especially if the people who are passing you cards are paying even the remotest attention to whether or not the cards they pass help you or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.