Subject: Percent that the world wins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I've played Chaos in the Old World twice now and have enjoyed it very much but the world has won both times.

The first time, we ran out of old world cards (the old world card where you immediately discard it was included), and even so we had a few gods very close to 50 points and a few gods one dial tick away from a dial win.

The second time, 5 regions got ruined before anyone had 50 points or a dial win, though one person was like 7 points away and I was one dial tick away as Korne. To be fair, I could have prolonged it one more round because I had a chaos card that prevented corruption being added, which would have prevented a region from being ruined.

I was just wondering though what everyone else has experienced in terms of "the world" winning vs one of the four gods winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
In addition, in the second game while the person in front had around 43 points, everyone else was far below in points. Are there any common rule mistakes made that would result in us not scoring lots of points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ishield wrote:
I've played Chaos in the Old World twice now and have enjoyed it very much but the world has won both times.

The first time, we ran out of old world cards (the old world card where you immediately discard it was included), and even so we had a few gods very close to 50 points and a few gods one dial tick away from a dial win.

The second time, 5 regions got ruined before anyone had 50 points or a dial win, though one person was like 7 points away and I was one dial tick away as Korne. To be fair, I could have prolonged it one more round because I had a chaos card that prevented corruption being added, which would have prevented a region from being ruined.

I was just wondering though what everyone else has experienced in terms of "the world" winning vs one of the four gods winning.

It's quite rare, and not just for me - see here: Accumulating Statistics - How Many Wins For Each Chaos Power? (Part II)

As you've only played twice, I suspect there's a good chance you're doing something wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Rulebook page 22:

Quote:
Five Regions Ruined

If five regions have been ruined, the player with the
most victory points wins. If some players are tied, the
tied player with the highest Threat wins.

World didn't win your second game.

As for your question, I've played this game dozens of times and never seen the world win though a few times have been close. We've seen the "discard a card" event multiple times. I'm going by memory but I'd say it's pretty common for the game to end on rounds 4-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Ah you're right, one of us did end up winning last night. Ok I'm more confident now that things were done correctly, with the first game being an anomaly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0%

(idea of the Old World winning may sound cute, but the rule is just there to make sure the game doesn't go on too long if for some reason none of the players are doing anything that actually wins the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's been very rare that it happens. When it does, it's usually because of Franz's Decree (the one that plays an extra card). One time we lost because of playing all Horned Rat cards, but even that was an anomaly for other times we've done this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Ishield wrote:
In addition, in the second game while the person in front had around 43 points, everyone else was far below in points. Are there any common rule mistakes made that would result in us not scoring lots of points?

I always recommend people to reread the rulebook after a few playthroughs. It works wonders for fixing any rule mistakes that remain after your first read.

Beyond that, remember to score and block scoring as appropriate. Points are irrelevant if you win by dial ticks. Nurgle really can't win with a dial as his dial is too long and too easy to block. Khorne will have a tough time winning with points. Rest can do what they will. Nurgle will still want to run his dial to get upgrades and Khorne will still score points, sometimes a lot, even if it happens incidentally as a result of blocking others.

Make sure you play Slaanesh dial advancement correctly. At least some printings of the game had incorrect information on that. From the FAQ:
Quote:
Slaanesh earns one dial advancement counter each time he places two or more corruption tokens in the same region as a Noble or Hero token during the Corruption Step of the Corruption Phase. The dial advancement condition printed on the Slaanesh Power Sheet is incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened once in my 22 counted games

Game was a round shorter than usual and everyone tried to stop each other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never happened in more than 150 games. Not even with the expansion, where there are some tougher old world cards.

Some games, where I did not have a chance to win anymore, I tried to enforce an old world win, rather than kingmake. Did not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Nekku wrote:
Beyond that, remember to score and block scoring as appropriate. Points are irrelevant if you win by dial ticks.

Not quite true. If multiple players win by dial, there is a tiebreaker by points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
It has never happened to me in 21 plays. Many many times it has come down to playing the 5th ruined region card, someone(or multiple people) going over and 50 and someone winning buy dial advancement on the last turn.. but the old world has never won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, wait, wait -- the world can WIN???? Well, that never got remotely close to happening in my 4 plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekku wrote:
I always recommend people to reread the rulebook after a few playthroughs.

I re-read the rulebook after my first play session for virtually every game I learn. With a moderately complex and detailed game like CitOW, I'll read the rules a third time after I think I have a good handle, usually after the 2nd or 3rd session. It's simply too easy to get something wrong and fall into bad play habits otherwise.

(And to clarify my earlier post, when I said "it's quite rare" to win as the old world, I meant that as a general statement not a personal one. I've never seen it happen.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Actually, another rule that I messed up was that I didn't award points if you contributed a corruption token on the turn a region got ruined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.