Subject: Solo occupations campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all, I'm very far from exploring a tenth of what the game has to offer. I'm still trying to crack 90 points and the C deck remains unopened.

I'm enjoying this a lot, but after ten games in a row and considering I well may have to play AFFO solo for the rest of my days, I was wondering if a "keep 1 tile/occupation/whatever to the next game" would work or would break it.

It would be something similar to Agricola solo, where you keep an occupation and need to beat a higher score next game. would it work?

Warning. The rest is digression:

Without a goal other than points, AFFO solo becomes an exercise in optimization. That's why I don't like the idea of variants that reduce the randomness of cards. Dice, mountain strips and cards are the only things that keep new plays fresh (for solo players). Random is good.

IMO, the perfect implementation of beat your own score is Mage Knight. You play the same puzzle, with lots of tactic randomness, and there is a victory condition on top of your score. I know we can't have that here, so maybe trying to get a campaign going would help me alleviate this feeling of "ok. Let's break the tower down and rebuild it again". Agrícola for me is a misery trudger. A Golgotha walk. Even when I (rarely) get my partner to the table, no one of us has really fun. Not even dwarf fortress fun. It's more of an Excel spreadsheet fun.

I like AFFO a lot better. I read the reviews and knew what I was getting. I want to give it another go right now. I have a sense of accomplishment while playing and -the reviews are true- I'm trying completely different things each time. This hyperhyped stage of wearing my new toy is much more intense than with Agricola or Le Havre for me.

Back to the occupations conundrum. In my fourth game i drew the same starting occ as in the third. I though "really?". I'm a newbie, so I could try a different approach. Anyhow, I think -probably I'm wrong- that a few starting occs won't be effective until round three, so there is the danger of establishing opening moves and sticking to them. Time will tell.
If we add a new occupation a-la-Agricola for subsequent games... would this lead to bigger, flashier, over the top Games? Or will those stacking starting occs. Make you focus on a given engine for games on end? This may well make the matter worse.

Sorry about the long speech. I'd love to hear from this guys that are cracking 160 points to see what their first impressions are about long term solo fun.

In the meantime I'm gonna have a last game before putting it back in the box. Just one more game, I promise. Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I could imagine some sort of solo campaign mode working. For the weekly solo challenge, I'm planning not to repeat ANY starting occupations for 45 weeks straight, so that should give a bit of variety.

If we make it that far, who knows. Imagine we'll finally be sick of the game, or maybe someone will have made a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In 45 weeks, we should even have an expansion... *whistles*

Do you hear oinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
In 45 weeks, we should even have an expansion... *whistles*

Do you hear oinking?

An expansion? Wow.... I would love to get AFFO first, then think about an expansion.

Don't see any other expansions to Uwe Rosenberg's titles other than Agricola. I'm sure there are those that want one for Le Havre or some of his other games. That said When AFFO is available I will order ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I could imagine some sort of solo campaign mode working. For the weekly solo challenge, I'm planning not to repeat ANY starting occupations for 45 weeks straight, so that should give a bit of variety.

Just to be thorough in case someone brings this up far in the future, it MIGHT be less than 45 weeks until repeats, because some weeks I might offer multiple starting occupations for people to choose between and compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.