Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Pandemic: Legacy and that game had potentially 24 games. What is the time investment to play through SeaFall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm still near the beginning, but SeaFall looks to take about 16 games on average. The games appear to be longer than Pandemic: Legacy games. I'd guess 2-3 hours per game, depending on group playing speed (and strategy), so maybe 35-50 hours total to play the campaign, with some groups finishing faster and some groups finishing slower?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
I don't know how accurate that fifteen-game estimate really is. According to the poll thread, nobody on this website seems to have finished yet, so it's impossible to know!

My household's group just finished our game 13, and we're not really in sight of the ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd B
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone concerned by the fact that nobody seems to be finishing the game, reviewers included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This guy finished: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1660984/just-finished-2-play...

(Also, the game hasn't been out all THAT long).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:

(Also, the game hasn't been out all THAT long).

This. Come on, I know we're in the age of fast Internet and all but one game lasts more than 2 hours and you do more than 15 of them in a campaign. Patience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'll be concerned if very few people have finished the game by like March. I'll be really concerned if very few people have finished the game by November of next year (around when I expect my group to maybe finish). Right now, there are lots of groups that have played actively, like once a week since getting the game or more, and are 6 games in or so. That's about what I'd expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy about a month ago, but our group just started our campaign. We won't be able to play any more than once a week, so it'll take us into next year to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Come on, I know we're in the age of fast Internet and all but one game lasts more than 2 hours and you do more than 15 of them in a campaign. Patience?

I'm not expecting people to have finished the game already!

However, with Pandemic: Legacy we knew going in that the game had potentially 24 plays. What I'm asking is, before I invest any time playing this game, I want to know potentially how many games this could go on for. I would need to organise my gaming evenings based on how long I could spend potentially playing SeaFall.

A member of our group has purchased the game and wants to play. I don't mind joining the team if the game's OK, but I'd rather not spend hours and hours playing a game that I'm personally not enjoying and I wouldn't want to drop out and spoil the experience for other players. It's not getting good initial reviews.

This is one of the reasons that I'm not keen on the legacy format. Far too much time (gaming sessions) spent playing the game, and if it's a game that you're not enjoying, dropping out is defeating the purpose of the game and spoiling the game for others who may be enjoying it. Now Pandemic: Legacy was a good game (not deserving of the number 1 spot, but a good game all the same), plus we already had played plenty of Pandemic, that acted as a guide as to whether we were likely to like Pandemic: Legacy. But SeaFall does not have a 'base' game to compare what the game experience is likely to be like, so I certainly want to know for how long I'm going to have to potentially set aside to play a potentially poor game.

tilouboy wrote:
all but one game lasts more than 2 hours and you do more than 15 of them in a campaign.

Does SeaFall give an indication of the potential maximum amount of games you could play. If each game lasts 2 or more hours, that's equal to one gaming session per game, so I want to know how many calendar entries this game could take us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Come on, I know we're in the age of fast Internet and all but one game lasts more than 2 hours and you do more than 15 of them in a campaign. Patience?

I'm not expecting people to have finished the game already!

My comment wasn't directed at you but at the geek who found it strange that there weren't yet a few reviews from people having finished the campaign.

Quote:
tilouboy wrote:
all but one game lasts more than 2 hours and you do more than 15 of them in a campaign.

Does SeaFall give an indication of the potential maximum amount of games you could play. If each game lasts 2 or more hours, that's equal to one gaming session per game, so I want to know how many calendar entries this game could take us.

No maximum that I know of. It's between 15 and 18 I guess judging by what I have read so far.

Personally, I wouldn't want someone from my group dropping out, but what would be even worse was if one player wasn't having fun and forced himself to play it through. I'd rather him quit. The game is said to handle varying player-numbers.

So join the group, mark your calendar and have fun. If not, drop out and don't feel bad about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
tilouboy wrote:

Theoretically, Seafall does not have a maximum number of games. The chest unlocks are based on milestones that may or may not be achieved during a game, depending on how the game plays out. If players don't pursue them (unlikely), or get really unlucky with dice rolls on the unlocks that require it, or interfere with each others' attempts to achieve the milestones, each unlock could take longer for one group than another.

The 15 games people toss around is just the developer's estimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Random
msg tools
So far my group that is ahead is 10 sessions in with each being 2-3 hours. I think this group was a bit slow though, we probably could be farther but we wasted a couple games before opening chests. My second group is 5 sessions in, but is only 2-3 away before catching up.

I haven't finished the game, but based on my assumptions and knowledge I have of what needs to happen it will probably be somewhere around 15 sessions to complete. Especially if people aggressively try to complete the game (like I am ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SomeoneRandom wrote:
So far my group that is ahead is 10 sessions in with each being 2-3 hours. I think this group was a bit slow though, we probably could be farther but we wasted a couple games before opening chests. My second group is 5 sessions in, but is only 2-3 away before catching up.

I haven't finished the game, but based on my assumptions and knowledge I have of what needs to happen it will probably be somewhere around 15 sessions to complete. Especially if people aggressively try to complete the game (like I am ).

How do you like it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McFarland
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb

My group of 4 planned to play 1 game a weekend. This weekend we played early Saturday morning and everyone agreed we should play again Saturday night. And after that we all agreed to play one more game on Sunday. We took food breaks, chore breaks, PlayStation breaks along the way ( with one of us guarding the board to stop The Cat from destroying the world) sauron.

Games 5,6 and 7. We have 2 boxes left.

Each game has taken about 2.5 to 3.0 hours give or take. We do a lot of role playing and smack talkingarrrh, but also a fair amount of rule investigation, boardgamegeek searches and clarification discussions.blushshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris P
msg tools
We're 4 games in, including prologue, and each night is about 2 hours long. We play 4 players not 5 so it's a bit faster I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.