Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm doing some statistics of games published by year, and the advanced search of BGG does its work. Nevertheless, I would also like to know which three games published at certain year were on the top of the rank. For example, which three games were top on 1995?

When I do a search from 1995 to 1995 the list of games appears sorted, but it is not clear to me what is the criteria. Does anyone know?

Then, of course, if I sort with the board game rank, it provides the rank now, not then. Is there any way to get this information?

I know this: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/64885/item/1597483#item15..., but it does not provide the information for the games published on a specific year.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
realnewton wrote:
When I do a search from 1995 to 1995 the list of games appears sorted, but it is not clear to me what is the criteria. Does anyone know?

Default sorting is by how often the game page has been viewed. (You can check this number on the Stats page.)

realnewton wrote:
Then, of course, if I sort with the board game rank, it provides the rank now, not then. Is there any way to get this information?
Given that BGG has only existed since 2000-ish, that info doesn't exist. The entire concept of game ranking was probably only introduced in August 2001 (going by this geeklist, with the statistics back then being based on just a handful of ratings.

I think I seem to remember that the BGG API which once upon a time returned historical data was closed off a year ago or thereabouts due to the heavy load it was causing. (Never used this myself, so am hazy on the details, including on what exactly it provided, and/or how useful that would've been.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
The entire concept of game ranking was probably only introduced in August 2001 (going by this geeklist, with the statistics back then being based on just a handful of ratings.

Searching quickly I also found a couple of other milestones that changed the system.

New Game Ranking System

Game Rankings now on Game Pages

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
I think I seem to remember that the BGG API which once upon a time returned historical data was closed off a year ago or thereabouts due to the heavy load it was causing.

Similarly my understanding was very informal, but it seems to me as much as two years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
TVis wrote:
a_traveler wrote:
I think I seem to remember that the BGG API which once upon a time returned historical data was closed off a year ago or thereabouts due to the heavy load it was causing.

Similarly my understanding was very informal, but it seems to me as much as two years now.

Could very well be! My time perception has definitely been underestimating how long ago things happened as I've been getting ol^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H spending more time on the site, here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.