$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Is going for Scyhe worth for area-control/combat strategy games fan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of games such as Cthulhu Wars, Kemet, Chaos in the old world, Forbidden stars/starcraft, Theseus, Blood Rage (not played yet).

My question is: would Scythe be valuable addendum to such collection? Especially considering that there's still Cry havoc out there, and few upcoming/or absent in my collection games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Get Cry Havoc if you like those games. Combat is not very central to the game of Scythe IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omnibus4404 wrote:
I'm a big fan of games such as Cthulhu Wars, Kemet, Chaos in the old world, Forbidden stars/starcraft, Theseus, Blood Rage (not played yet).

Well I love Kemet, like Chaos and Starcraft, I would like Cthulhu Wars and Bloodrage although I've never played them, and I know nothing about Theseus - and I love Scythe.

That said, Scythe is nothing like any of those games! It's not Ameritrash, and it's not 4x - it's a resource planning and optimisation euro, with the occasional threat of attacks (with only moderate consequences), but mostly it's a cold war, not war game.

It's very possible not to have any attacks in a game (certainly in 1-3 player), and possible at higher counts, although unlikely.

Honestly I'd say a better litmus test would be games like Through the Ages, Le Havre, Caylus or Struggle of Empires...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severijn De Wilde
Belgium
flag msg tools
Scythe has very little combat, or even player interaction beyond some passive aggressive upgrades. If you are a fan of games like Kemet or Citow, then do not go for this game. There certainly are cool miniatures in the box, but they rarely see combat.

From what I saw in a video review (I have yet to play it myself), Inis is shaping up to be a game you might be interested in. It is another mythology-based light wargame similar to Kemet from the same publisher as Kemet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Severijndw wrote:
Scythe has very little combat, or even player interaction beyond some passive aggressive upgrades. If you are a fan of games like Kemet or Citow, then do not go for this game. There certainly are cool miniatures in the box, but they rarely see combat.

From what I saw in a video review (I have yet to play it myself), Inis is shaping up to be a game you might be interested in. It is another mythology-based light wargame similar to Kemet from the same publisher as Kemet.

Scythe does not focus on combat, no matter how cool the mechs might look cool.

It's basically an engine building / resource management / area control game. As it has been said before, rather than a 4x, it's really more a 2.5x game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
omnibus4404 wrote:

Well I love Kemet, like Chaos and Starcraft, I would like Cthulhu Wars and Bloodrage although I've never played them, and I know nothing about Theseus - and I love Scythe.

That said, Scythe is nothing like any of those games! It's not Ameritrash, and it's not 4x - it's a resource planning and optimisation euro, with the occasional threat of attacks (with only moderate consequences), but mostly it's a cold war, not war game.

It's very possible not to have any attacks in a game (certainly in 1-3 player), and possible at higher counts, although unlikely.

Honestly I'd say a better litmus test would be games like Through the Ages, Le Havre, Caylus or Struggle of Empires...

Just to build on this comment as I answer your question.

I too love combate games like Forbidden stars, Blood Rage, TI3, etc

However, I also like some euro engine building games like viticulture, Le Havre, etc

So, for me Scythe is awesome because I get a taste of both in this game. It is a hybrid so it is not the attack heavy game Forbidden stars is, nor the euro heavy the Le Havre is. But since I already have a game that fits that nitch, this fits another, which is what I look for when I get new games.

So your view of this game depends on what you like in your gaming as a whole, what other types of games you like, and if you want a game that is the same as a game you have and like, or if you want one that has simularities but hits a different spot in your gaming collection and play line up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is room for Cry Havoc and Scythe booth games are great and will be in the top 100 for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.