$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » Variants

Subject: Any modifications/variants eliminating luck in cards/movement managment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Any modifications/variants eliminating luck in cards/movement management?

Several.

I use a "staff officer" rule.

A staff officer may be dispatched to any section of the battlefield and issue an order to one formation. The number of staff officers available to each commander is based on that general's historical performance. Staff officers are never eliminated and return to HQ at the end of a turn. They can be sent out again and again during a session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest is to allow any card to be played as a recon in any sector, thus always permitting at least one action in any sector at any time.

Of course the thing to remember us that the 'luck' of the card draw abstracts in all sorts if factors not simulated in the game. Communicatiins issues, units taking local fire, units delayed by terrain etc. Soldiers you cannot command are not just sutting there being shot at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
Of course the thing to remember us that the 'luck' of the card draw abstracts in all sorts if factors not simulated in the game. Communicatiins issues, units taking local fire, units delayed by terrain etc. Soldiers you cannot command are not just sutting there being shot at.

This.

I recommend enjoying the game as is. There is definitely luck involved in card draws, but any solution you come up with provides a crutch for poor hand management, which is a huge part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with the Breakthrough deck (included in the Memoir '44: Winter Wars expansion) even in standard scenarios. The "on the move" ability lets you move units anywhere on the board, but they cannot attack. It's useful for getting units into cover and bringing artillery forward.

It also evens out the number of activated units:

Recon: 1 unit + 2 on the move, draw 2 cards, keep 1 (3 units activated)
Probe: 2 units + 2 on the move (4 units activated)
Attack: 3 units + 1 on the move (4 units activated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
Tim RTC wrote:

This.

I recommend enjoying the game as is. There is definitely luck involved in card draws, but any solution you come up with provides a crutch for poor hand management, which is a huge part of the game.

I concur. The entire motivation behind the design of M'44 and the other C&C games is to model the chaos of the battlefield, and therefore to put players in the role of commanders who have less than perfect control of the situation. The goal is to make something out of nothing, and improvise based on the current situation on the battlefield. Eliminating those elements that represent chaos would, in my opinion, cut the heart out of the game. There are plenty of other wargames out there that give the players God-like power of seeing all and knowing all. Enjoy the chaos that is M'44!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a touch less chaos you might try these minimal changes:

Remove the two Ambush cards from the deck. These can drastically change the balance of a scenario in one action.

Allow any card to be played as "Activate one unit in one sector of the board". This creates a slightly more flexible game, as well as allowing a player to discard a useless card from his hand. I think this change is a good one for beginning players (I do not use it with experienced opponents).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For that matter remove many of the tactics cards as they can be killers. You could also just assign an identical set of cards to each player and they play until exhausted. Just joking of course. Leave the game as it was designed.

You can eliminate the luck factor completely as above, except for the die rolls for battle, but why bother. You would end up with something that is not Memoir '44 and therefore should just play some other game.

These minor tweaks, such as always allowing the player to order one unit, or allowing a discard of any card for a free order, do not assuage the effect of luck. Instead they provide a crutch for poor play and hand management, reward poor decisions, and alter the design of scenarios in which you are supposed to (by design) suffer the ill effects of luck (e.g., games where your hand is 4 cards).

Further, chance is key to the design of the game, primarily manifested in hand management. Scenarios are often designed and balanced by giving one side more or less favorable odds in drawing a decent hand. Removing or limiting this feature destroys the game and puts scenarios out of balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried a draft variant with one 'wargamer' who otherwised refused to play. Before the start of the game: With the start hands each player picked one card placing it face down in front, then passed his remaining hand of cards to the opponent. Continuing the picking and passing until both players had the normal start hand of cards. I'm not suggesting it was my preferred way to play, but it did mollify a opponent who couldn't keep complaining about his start hand (he still lost,even with better dice rolls).

I find experienced Memoir'44 players learn the difference between tactics and strategy and thus have a better win percentage regardless of luck. Before trying 'reducing luck' variants I suggest reading the guide; (ie. https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/other-expansions/gu... ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I agree that no change is necessary, if you insist on it, you could look at what Battlelore did. This is how it works in the app, and it might be how it works in 2.0, but it did not work this way in the original game:

You have identical hands of section cards and a few (three I think) tactic cards. One of those is "issue a command to one unit and refresh your cards." The other tactic cards are once per game, I believe.

But that makes it a different game. Still enjoyable, at least as the app I've played, but not the same as Memoir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Tim, this is not the way Battlelore 2 works, the boardgame I mean. But the rules contain a variant for "tournament" which has some resemblance, namely start with a predefined hand of cards. Then, play and draw normally. This means that the initial hands are identical for the two players, but during the game they become progressively different. The problem with these variations, in my opinion, is that they induce more tactics based on card counting, spoiling a bit the game.

P.S.: Just to be clear, I'm of the party of those who believe that random cards are perfectly ok as they are and in fact recreate fog of war and limits of command in a very simple and effective way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.