Subject: Campaign Mission Order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got my copy of Shadowrun Crossfire + High Caliber Ops recently, and it'll still be a couple of weeks before my first play, and I'm wondering what would be the best order to play the missions.

I intend to use all the expansion content in all of the runs, except when a mission explicitly instructs otherwise.

The number of runners is yet to be determined. I don't know if I'll be playing solo, or with other players, probably both, and even for the solo runs, I haven't decided the number of runners yet (but probably 2, for most runs).

There's the Initiation mission from the demo kit, which doesn't even take karma into consideration, and doesn't reward karma. It claims to be a moderate difficulty, as opposed to a normal difficulty, and I'm not sure which designation is supposed to be easier. And it seems to be very similar to a Crossfire mission, just on easy mode (just 2 waves). I'm thinking of skipping Initiation entirely, what do you folks think?

I'm thinking of starting with Ambulators, since you're not even supposed to send runners with more than 0 karma into it, so that pretty much seals its place as the first run to take on.

Then it seems to me it'd be time to take up arms Against the Ancients, since its difficulty is marked as introductory.

After that's dealt with, that's the point I think we can start taking on Crossfire missions, but those will also be the brunt of our campaign throughout, so we could tackle them whenever we feel like it, but at the same time is also when we can try to Close the Portal, or even take on a Freefire-For-All.

Further from there, the path is fairly clear, with Extraction and Two Corridor Assault both unlocking at 5 karma per runner. Then a while later we can go after Crazy Katie, at 25 karma, then straight Into the Ork Underground at 30... Once we reach 40, we'll have a Pandemic on our hands, and at the big 7-0, there's the notorious dragon waiting for us.

What do you think about that order? Mostly about the beginning of it (since the later stages are made fairly obvious with the minimum karma requirements)?
Are there any homebrew missions you'd recommend be interspersed in the early campaign as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kocur
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had the demo kit but Against the Ancients is by far the easiest I've played and I would start with that. Up your confidence and run it a few times adding karma awards to up the challenge. Get your first sticker upgrade then I find Extraction the next easiest followed by crossfire. Then work off karma recommendations for following missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sar Athas
msg tools
Ambulators is a great start to learn the rules, as it basically consists of the first two rounds of a normal Crossfire mission. However, if you want to spice up things, I can only recommend Against the Ancients as your start into a new campaign. The elves provide a sort of immersion and RPG-feeling acting as a tribe, buffing each other... it's really cool.
Next, at 5 karma, you can tackle Crossfire and Extraction. I personally do not like the Freefire mission, but you can try this now as well.
I would recommend to Close the Portal as early as possible, simply because the karma reward for it starts dropping quickly.
The same goes for Crazy Katies Combat Towing (at 25 karma). One of my favourite missions simply for the RPG-style and the new idea to not just "kill everything and win". Enjoy it as long as you can, especially as it does not scale well to player count. For two players, the options to make the run harder in exchange for more karma are simply too hard for my taste, with one of them not even being applicable.
Pandemic, on the other hand, is great for two players! I do not want to talk about that stage and waht is coming afterwards. You'll see devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a good handle on putting missions in order. I did the same thing by listing missions that are good for 2 runners (since I like to solo with 2) and then put them in an order I felt would be challenging. My list looks like this.

Author Mission Name Karma Reqs
Fan Made Package Delivery 0-10
BaseG Crossfire 0+
BaseG Against the Ancients 0+
BaseG Freefire-for-All 0+
FanMade The Glitch 5+
BaseG Extraction 5+
FanMade The Traitor 10+
FanMade Are You Not Entertained? 10+
FanMade The Pit 15+
HCO Crazy Katie's Combat Towing 25+
Website Into the Ork Underground 30+
HCO Pandemic 40+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing it in the past week, and already got some 11 games on my belt (and 8 karma, woo~)

The mission order so far has been Ambulators: 1 failure, then 1 success.
Then Against the Ancients: 2 failures, then 1 success.
Then Crossfire: 4 failures, 1 abort, 1 success. That abort got me my first upgrade (Cigar Money), and the success got David his first one. I don't remember what he picked, and we haven't played since, that was last night.

One of the runs was 3 players, but the rest have all been 2 players.

Kurt, do you recommend the fan made ones? and Freefire-for-All?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.