34.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty! So, couple questions based on my wife and I playing through Book 1 Battle 2. It didn't actually effect our game, but I could see it having been a possibility.

So, question 1) villains only get a KO marker after attempting to Awaken. So, in a situation with a villain at 0 life, I can extend the battle by simply not activating the villain until I'm potentially in a more advantageous position, correct? (Bringing more minions over, KOing adjacent Turtles, etc.)

Question 1b) does this also mean that I don't HAVE to activate a downed Villain until I have nothing but cards for said villain in my hand or no other figures that can legally activste?

And lastly, but connected to the others, Question 2) what happens when I have no eligible figures to activate at all? For instance, in Book 1 Battle 2, let's say Hob is on the ground and I've got 1 Brawler on the board, with no cards for Hob in hand. I activate the Brawler with a card...and then what? I can't activate him a second time, and I can't Desperation Activate a downed Villain.

Tying it all up, I'm assuming you can't even play a card if you can't at least partially activate it. Like, if you've got no Brawlers left to activate, you can't play another Brawler card. But you COULD play a 2 Brawler card with only one eligible Brawler on the board.

This matters because, in the situation where KO tokens mean defeat for the Villain, being able permanently avoid activating the Villain by wasting cards on figures that can't legally activate, would be pretty lame. (Got a hand full of Hob cards or only have a minion that you've already activate? Just Desperation Activate/Play a card for a figure who has already moved. He can't, but the book doesn't say I can't play a card, just that he can't actually activate!) I'd never do it myself, but I know people who will abuse rules to win, so, I figure it's better to get clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
You should read the rules about the "desperation activation" which lets you play any card face down to activate any character with a single action. Also, the villain must play two cards every turn, no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg ivan
msg tools
In addition, KO checks are mandatory

If anyone is down, they make Ko checks before dice and cards are played.

You must play 2 cards, a desperate card play is putting 1 face down and making a ninja star, sword, OR move icon. Just one.

I dont think you can "buy time" or "drag the battle out" by just ignoring the guy laying on the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ivangamer84 wrote:
If anyone is down, they make Ko checks before dice and cards are played.

I don't think that's how it works. A hero doesn't attempt to awaken until it is that hero's turn, and a villain doesn't attempt to awaken until it has been activated by a card (keep in mind that desperation activation cannot be used on KO'ed villains). So it is possible for both sides to buy some time before attempting to wake a character up.

I haven't yet found anything in the rules that addresses what happens if the villains don't have enough characters to play a second card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
A villain must always play 2 cards per turn. It doesn't matter if either or none of the cards accomplish anything. Kevin has confirmed this, and the mechanism relies on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg ivan
msg tools
I see, I re read the rules again

I think i got it

Heroes inately "activate" on their turn, so they get a chance to wake up

Villains need to play a villain hero card (face up since you cant desperate play for this?) to try and wake up, otherwise they just lay there, not getting a ko token, but also not helping win either.

What i still dont get is...

lets say mikey has 0 life left, all the turtles roll their dice, i suppose assuming mikey is going to get up, his turn comes and oops he doesn't wake up....

Can other turtles use his dice? Can leo still move his dice? If yes, I think thats dumb because Mikey is on the floor and there at worst makes him 1/3 less efficient since his neighbors can effectively still take his turn for him.

Likewise, The shredder gets to 0 hp, the villain can just sit there for what, 4 turns not playing shredder cards, and we assume the shredder is just chilling on the floor to avoid the ko token? yah no, also lame.

I feel that thematically, if you go to 0 hp, you are inherently knocked out otherwise what the heck are you doing and get up already! Otherwise your dice and cards should not count until you wake up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg ivan
msg tools
Saw on facebook page from Kevin Wilson that if a villain hero fails to attempt to wake up that turn they get a KO token anyway, so no "corpsing" or "sleeping"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Dice are always rolled and always shared. That may seem unthematic, but the central mechaninc of the game relies on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ivangamer84 wrote:
Saw on facebook page from Kevin Wilson that if a villain hero fails to attempt to wake up that turn they get a KO token anyway, so no "corpsing" or "sleeping"

So, if you have no card for the KO's villain, you're just screwed? Ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
donnbobhardy wrote:
So, if you have no card for the KO's villain, you're just screwed? Ouch.

Much as that sucks, I don't have a problem with it. If someone gets KO'd, you don't know how long they're going to be out. The only thing I might change is that you could use a desperation activation for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dufficy
msg tools
mb
ivangamer84 wrote:

To clarify this statement, Kevin indicated that the villain would at least need to attempt to awaken during that 'round' in order to avoid a KO token, not necessarily on their next 'turn'. So you have a few chances depending on where you are in the round, unless you have no other option but to play a villain leader card right away. Apparently there is a loophole in the rules which technically allows the villain to just play other cards to keep going without attempting a villain leader revival attempt, possibly preventing a hero win, but he will add a patch to this in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.