Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rotten / Invisibility - How exactly does this work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
As are others, I am confused on how the Rotten/invisibility enchantment card works.

I assume the enchantment needs to be recast each turn. So I assume you take the rotten token off after the zombies activation/spawn?

I'm confused by the official ruling which seems to contradict the rule book:

- Can Invisibility be cast on a survivor who used a combat action or made noise in their turn?
- Can a survivor cast it on himself?

GG: In both cases, the answer is “Yes”. The Enchantement is lost if the target Survivor makes Noise after it is cast.

The rules state that a survivor that has not made noise and/or attacked can become "rotten."

However, the official clarification above seems to do away with this rule and invisibility can be cast on basically anyone no matter wither they attack or make noise. So if I understand the rule clarification correctly a lone survivor could attack and make noise and then as his last action cast invisibility. The end result would be all zombies would simply head for him and he would have immunity. Obviously this would make the game ridiculously easy!

So which is it? Can a survivor make noise and attack and then cast invisibility (or have it cast on him)? Or can the spell only be cast when the survivor has not made noise and/or attacked?

Call me confused! I would love some clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way. There is a difference between actually having the Rotten skill vs just gaining the benefits. The Invisibility spell grants the benefits (regardless what the target survivor has done previously in the turn).

And yes, GG has said you can cast Invisibility on yourself. If you think about it though this can easily become a broken mechanic and be abused. It could be used to control all the zombies on the board by managing noise and invisibility. Some players, myself included, house-rule that you can't cast it on yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks Chuck!

I only have the core game. Unless I am mistaken the only way a survivor can become invisible is by getting the invisibility card and/or casting invisibility spell at a cost of one activation.

So if I understand the enchantment card correctly anyone can benefit at any time, correct? What action(s) they did before hand or after the spell is cast on them are irrelevant. For example, according to the official rules a person could cast the spell on himself and make noise and engage in combat.

I assume that the rules regarding combat and noise breaking the spell ONLY apply if a survivor has the skill on his survivor card to begin with? In other words, not having or using an enchantment card.

The way you house play is the spell can be cast on anyone but themselves (at the cost of 1 activation and 1 noise) and the targeted survivor can make noise and engage in combat w/out losing the benefits of being invisible.

Am I understanding the official rules and your house rules correctly?

You'd think they'd issue a clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I just read the card again. It DOES matte what the survivor does after the spell is cast on him. The survivor can't attack or make noise. The survivor CAN make noise/combat beforehand, however.

Since it states directly on the cart itself you can't engage in combat or make noise how does this skew the game?

I'm still confused. Hopefully you can spell if out for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, if you make noise or do combat after receiving Invisibility you will break the spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Carcking wrote:
Correct, if you make noise or do combat after receiving Invisibility you will break the spell.

So the OP problem only applies when a survivors starts with "rotten" skil. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotten is fine. It is easily understood and is not broken. Invisibility is a broken version of Rotten.

I just say that the noise caused by casting Invisibility happens after the effect, thus cancelling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
Carcking wrote:

So the OP problem only applies when a survivors starts with "rotten" skil. Is that correct?

The OP issue is with Invisibility. For example, a survivor can make enough actions of noise so he is the noisiest zone, then cast Invisibility on himself. He can do this turn after turn. This will draw all the zombies on the board to his zone, effectively ccontrolling the Zs so the other survivors can go about the quest relatively unhindered, by managing LoS. Then the Zs can easily be lead away from his zone if they spend a turn making sure he is not the noisiest zone. The Zs will simply walk away from the zone. If he happens to have dragon bile and torch, well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules for Invisibility as written are broken and simply do not work; I'd suspect they never have been playtested for issues.

The most common variant I've seen to make it less OP is to prevent casting invisibility on oneself (you're making noise as part of the casting).

I'm considering another variant: Invisibility doesn't affect zombies on the invisible survivor's zone - They're close enough to smell him. This allows a survivor to avoid attracting attention, but not to act as a zombie beacon while other survivors complete the scenario objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, the rule is broken. Perhaps we can email GG and request they update/change the rule?

The house rule that you can't cast the spell on yourself works fine, however, obviously the designers intended the survivor w/ the card could use the spell on himself.

Why not just use the rotten rules as if they apply to the enchantment card? In other words anyone that makes noise/combat before or after the spell is cast loses invisibility. That way you could cast the spell on yourself but only if you did not make noise or engage in combat before or after. By doing this you are giving a survivor a one turn invisibility skill which I believe was the intention.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, the rule is broken. Perhaps we can email GG and request they update/change the rule?

From experience, it won't help, but feel free to try.

Quote:
That way you could cast the spell on yourself but only if you did not make noise or engage in combat before or after. By doing this you are giving a survivor a one turn invisibility skill which I believe was the intention.

Casting the Spell causes noise, so this seems impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.