United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an avid proponent of atmospheric soundtracks for board games--from bombastic thematic games to fifty-shades-of-beige Euro games. As a result, putting together a playlist for Arkham Horror: TCG is a no-brainer. I searched existing Arkham Horror playlists and found that most of them are chock-full of cheesy MIDI-clogged "graveyard" tracks from lame "spooky" music albums.

HARD PASS.

Now, I'm not saying that the soundtrack I have begun to construct is perfect, but I try to be very discerning. Thus far, I've strung together the most appropriate sinister music from some of my favorite video games, as well as some dark jazz noir, classic crime film soundtracks, and minor-key orchestral works.

LINK: https://open.spotify.com/user/jwilliamparkin/playlist/5nl9hG...

This is a work in progress. I'd like to get some feedback based on what I should remove, and if there are any tasteful additions I should make. Right now I can see it as a bit jazz-forward, perhaps too much. I want it to gel.

Listen. Share. Comment here. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Wolowicz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'd like to add this as a deep, dark playlist for such gaming. Ymmv.

https://open.spotify.com/user/mrwoller/playlist/1RzQh2CKT2oC...

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Parolini
United States
Mendota Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my current youtube playlist. Many of the albums or ambient atmospherics are long enough that you can leave them to run for your entire game. I've been pretty careful to avoid anything grating, and have taken care to drop in a lot of ambient noise entries to suit various environments you may find yourself in.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzxL9KebiyZzYmxzsX25N...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leventa24: that track 5, Arkham MixTape, is wonderful. I'll likely try that one when the game arrives. Some of the graphics during it are delicious too.

I didn't check the spotify ones because I would have to register first.

Some music by Coil would not be amiss for this kind of ambiance. Drawing from albums like: How to Destroy Angels, Stolen and Contaminated Songs, Unnatural History, and others would be fruitful. The best, though, would be The Unreleased Themes for Hellraiser. (Don't be fooled by the movie it was going to be used for- it is subtle and sinister, like madness licking at the very corners of your vision when you thought you saw something move.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Planning on listening to both Stranger Things soundtracks while playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Darby
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking about music for this game. Links bookmarked, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would suggest anything by Midnight Syndicate. However one album would stand out and fits the theme is Gates of Delirium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great topic!
If you're looking for cthuloid music just listen to Musica Cthulhiana!
Midnight Syndicate is good too and Raison D'Etre has great ambient tracks, but trust me, Musica Cthulhiana is the best Our Cthulhu RPG-group loves it.

In fact, after watching Stranger Things I put together a cthuloid 80s playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/eldersigned/playlist/7uH25RGXa...

Have fun! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I listened to the first four or five tracks from the OP's spotify playlist (all Fable I think).

Very atmospheric and creepy. I enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
I listened to the first four or five tracks from the OP's spotify playlist (all Fable I think).

Very atmospheric and creepy. I enjoyed it!

Fable I, II, and III have spectacular soundtracks. It was very easy to cherry-pick several items from all three games for this playlist. A dash of Diablo and Warcraft, a twist of jazz and old-timey caper music, along with Mahler, Gorecki, and Rachmaninioff and I'm off to a decent start, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the playlist, Jim...nice work.
I've always found Satie's Gnossienne no.1 to be beautiful but disquieting...I think it might make a good addition.
https://play.spotify.com/track/4820SC1xnUaabzzYQTDkP2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
Love the playlist, Jim...nice work.
I've always found Satie's Gnossienne no.1 to be beautiful but disquieting...I think it might make a good addition.
https://play.spotify.com/track/4820SC1xnUaabzzYQTDkP2

Tom! I kid you not! I was banging my head against the steering wheel on my commute this morning attempting to remember the name of that piece by Satie! Thank you! A million thumbs-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Tom! I kid you not! I was banging my head against the steering wheel on my commute this morning attempting to remember the name of that piece by Satie! Thank you! A million thumbs-up!

Haha! What I particularly like about this is that I was in the same state myself for several years (pre-internet!)...this piece of music was used as the theme tune for a favourite TV series of mine when I was a kid in the late 70s (James Burke's "Connections") and I don't think I found out what the piece was until sometime in the 90s!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ramsey
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the OSTs from the 70s Dario Argento horror flicks. Like the film Profondo Rosso. A prog band named Goblin did a bunch of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Houston
msg tools
Funny you posted this, FFG themselves posted an AMAZING Arkham Files playlist.
https://open.spotify.com/user/fantasyflightgames/playlist/52...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
ElderSigned wrote:
Great topic!
If you're looking for cthuloid music just listen to Musica Cthulhiana!
Midnight Syndicate is good too and Raison D'Etre has great ambient tracks, but trust me, Musica Cthulhiana is the best Our Cthulhu RPG-group loves it.

In fact, after watching Stranger Things I put together a cthuloid 80s playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/eldersigned/playlist/7uH25RGXa...

Have fun! meeple

Wow, Musica Cthuliana is unsettlingly creepy!

rogerniner wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Parolini
United States
Mendota Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
Leventa24: that track 5, Arkham MixTape, is wonderful. I'll likely try that one when the game arrives. Some of the graphics during it are delicious too.

Thanks! Also appreciate the suggestions and I'll look into them. I'm trying to be super careful with curating this music list. One thing I don't like about Spotify and the like is just the fact that the songs will be switching every few minutes and mixing up the mood of what you're playing too often for my liking. I prefer albums or ambient music with a consistent theme that will last you a good hour. I find a lot of outright "spooky" music just isn't fun and can be really grating after a while, which is why I've been primarily playing really dark, smoky jazz albums with a bit of background ambient noise alongside it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leventa24 wrote:
coil23 wrote:

Thanks! Also appreciate the suggestions and I'll look into them. I'm trying to be super careful with curating this music list. One thing I don't like about Spotify and the like is just the fact that the songs will be switching every few minutes and mixing up the mood of what you're playing too often for my liking. I prefer albums or ambient music with a consistent theme that will last you a good hour. I find a lot of outright "spooky" music just isn't fun and can be really grating after a while, which is why I've been primarily playing really dark, smoky jazz albums with a bit of background ambient noise alongside it.

Wow, Taylor, this is great stuff. I agree that Spotify can be too random at times for game soundtracks. This LCG may be one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
Give Melodice a run:

http://melodice.org/playlist/arkham-horror-the-card-game-201...

Been pretty good for soundtracks for most games I've run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Wolowicz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
rogerniner wrote:

Well played FFG, well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't recommend Bohren & Der Club of Gore more. Their dark jazz reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks and smoky jazz clubs. Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me is also another fine soundtrack with similar sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
AmusedToDeath47 wrote:
I can't recommend Bohren & Der Club of Gore more. Their dark jazz reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks and smoky jazz clubs. Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me is also another fine soundtrack with similar sounds.

I'm really digging it. I'd never heard it before, but it's a perfect match for this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to this thread I have already bought one Bohren album off itunes and may be getting more.

It finally clicked on what this reminded me of...listening to the Black Earth album by Bohren & Der Club of Gore (especially Midnight Black Earth track) keeps reminding me of some of the music and definitely the feel from the movie Angel Heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lawrence kniffin
msg tools
Check out Yidhra. Sweet little band out of california. Stoner doom metal with many Cthulhu references over the 2 cds. They are on band camp and pandora

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.