Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider this question:

Quote:
Does a character with the Blocker skill still block enemies when that character is in the Cautious Stance?

The first time i heard this question, my instinctive reaction was "of course!" but the more i think about it, the less certain i am.

The real question is possibly "is Blocker an active activity or a passive side-effect of tremendous bulk (or similar)?"

My current assumption is that Blocker is a "passive" skill (a category of skill/ability which thread 1659148 clarifies as being "always on," unaffected by Aggressive/Cautious stance), but i think that it's easy to make a valid argument that blocking requires active intervention on a blocker's part to keep enemies from moving by. (e.g. the Blocker must continually shift their position and generally be threatening enough that nobody will want/be able to move away from them.)

If blocking is an active skill, however, then OL characters with the Blocker skill have a notable advantage over heroes with Blocker because OL units don't have the equivalent of a Cautious Stance. Therefore, OL units would always block, whereas heroes would only block when in an Aggressive Stance.

To avoid differences in handling of the skill for heroes vs. OL units, i currently think that Blocker is necessarily a passive skill.

But... i think there's a fair argument to be made for it being an active skill, and thus subject to "disabling" when the Blocker takes a Cautious Stance.

Hmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now who is over-thinking and second-guessing

As I have already stated numerous times; there is no such concept of active and passive skill use in the rules, we have constructed this to explain away huge inconsistencies in the printed rules. As such, there is a danger to over-think.

To me it should be more simple: if you are in cautious stance and a skill wants you to use any action or related activity other than the Guard or Reroll action, then it is not allowed. This even explains away the inconsistency apparent is allowing Bodyguard but not Leadership. I believe that all other skills we have labeled passive pass this test.

Based on this the Blocker skill is what we would define as passive.
Note: this would make Blocking the only movement skill allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
Now who is over-thinking and second-guessing

As I have already stated numerous times; there is no such concept of active and passive skill use in the rules, we have constructed this to explain away huge inconsistencies in the printed rules. As such, there is a danger to over-think.

To me it should be more simple: if you are in cautious stance and a skill wants you to use any action or related activity other than the Guard or Reroll action, then it is not allowed. This even explains away the inconsistency apparent is allowing Bodyguard but not Leadership. I believe that all other skills we have labeled passive pass this test.

Based on this the Blocker skill is what we would define as passive.
Note: this would make Blocking the only movement skill allowed.

Agree 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:

Indeed we have, but BadKam (from Monolith) has confirmed this distinction, which makes it almost as official as it gets (just short of being in the rulebook).

So, there is that.

CardboardAnt wrote:
This even explains away the inconsistency apparent is allowing Bodyguard but not Leadership.

That's actually not an inconsistency but a translation error. In English "Guard and rerolls" are allowed, but in French "defense and rerolls" are allowed (or at least that's what i'm told the French version says). Bodyguard is explicitly a defense action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have thought that if you don't need to allocate a gem to use a skill then it is a passive ability - always on and not affected by choice of stance.

But then what do you think about 'counter-attack'? Is that considered part of a characters defense when in Cautious stance? For the sake of simplicity and game-flow I would say yes and allow it in any case but I am not sure if it is technically correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
I'd have thought that if you don't need to allocate a gem to use a skill then it is a passive ability - always on and not affected by choice of stance.

It's not quite that clear-cut, IIRC, but i can't think of a counter-example at the moment (and there might not be one).

Old Deep One wrote:
But then what do you think about 'counter-attack'? Is that considered part of a characters defense when in Cautious stance? For the sake of simplicity and game-flow I would say yes and allow it in any case but I am not sure if it is technically correct.

User BadKam (from Monolith) confirmed in another thread (edit: #1659148) that Counterattack and Attack from Beyond belong to the passive/reactive skills, and trigger automatically, regardless of stance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Stephan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.