Subject: Enemy activity after causing a casualty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is (was, actually) the situation: i am checking enemy defensive activities. There is this German HMG, the assault team that triggered it is a casualty now.

Trying to decide hmg priorities, I know the hmg is not firing, as a casualty is not a valid target, and there's no los to another friendly units, so it's supposed to have received a cease fire order.

But does the casualty qualify for the «not under fire and no LOS to a US unit» paragraph?

I decided it didn't and kept the German HMG in a overwatch stance (instead of removing it); but after finishing the game and reviewing my notes, I'm curious about what other people would do in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is clearly not under fire and has no unit on sight so it will disappear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In didn't have a lot of time before but this is a time to sell my variant.
According to the rules as written the HMG would disappear and in the place where it stood a new PC would be placed. My variant would have the HMG disappear but the new PC would be place in the card of last contact, i.e. In the card with the casualty.

Another popular variant is to avoid taking away strong units (HMG nests, 88, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know about your variant and in fact, that's how I play.

Still it confuses me sometimes. For example, picture a package that deploys units in two different cards (say hmg nest). After a while, the hmg has no los to friendly (as in americanas) units but the squad has no problem switching to a different valid target. Would I replace the hmg with the original pc marker?

If i do, what keeps me from using te gamey tactic against the squad, knowing there would be no impact? I mean,two pc markers together.

Im not for gamey tactics so never mind. A couple of turns later I've cleared the new pc marker but the squad i mentioned before has no valid targets now. So? Should I place a third PC marker?. Clear the card once more?

Going back to the original question, what confused me is that a casualty is defined in the rulebook as a unit. The chart asks me if the hmg has los to a unit... And it has. I think in this case I like my solution -which you also mention- of keeping the hmg on overwatch.

Ok this game is not as hard as writing this tirade in English (sorry native English speakers for butchering your language) and on mobile with a Spanish keyboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
My variant would have the HMG disappear but the new PC would be place in the card of last contact, i.e. In the card with the casualty.

NoMasOvejas wrote:
real valid concerns

I'm gonna take it further... and what about with night missions where the LOS can be lost in just one turn? And what about variable weather/night conditions like some missions in Korea or Vietnam?
How do you apply your house-rule here?

Really wanting to see the new rulebook... I'm wondering how the developer/designer will jump these hurdles (and another majors ones)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Por partes.

1. The rules are clear, and they remain the same in the latest version. If there is no unit firing and it is not firing you take out the unit and place a PC marker inthe card were the unit was.

Ben has clarified that this system is not perfect but that avoids going into complex situarions (like the one you describe).

2. My variant doesn't play exactly the way you mentioned. Lets take an example

A B C
D E F

All with PC markers. I move a unit to E and I trigger a double Germon encounter. A HMG in A and a squad in C. First turn, the unit in E is hit and killed. I move another unit to F, resolve the PC and nothing new comes up. In the enemy phase the HMG in A disappears (in my variant a PC is placed where it was firing to, i.e. E) and the squad in C now fires to F. Lets say that it gets lucky and kills my unit, or that I got scared and moved the unit in F back. Now the unit in C changes to a new PC marker in the card it was firing to (not the card that initially triggered the encounter!) that is F. So after 2 bad turns, E and F still have PC markers on them!

The idea is that PC marker represent potential units towards the card (not on the card) and if I leave a card without being sure that no enemy is firing at it, I might be surprised again.

3. Nevertheless, this game has a bit of a sandbox nature so if you feel the HMG nest should stay, keep it! You can even create an scenario were a HMG nest is on a bunker in the middle of the map and you have to try and take it, or avoid it, or.... This game has unlimited possibilities.

4. If no English speaker appears in the conversation I think we can continue in Spanish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vamos, que nos vamos

abendoso wrote:
1. The rules are clear, and they remain the same in the latest version. If there is no unit firing and it is not firing you take out the unit and place a PC marker inthe card were the unit was.

Ben has clarified that this system is not perfect but that avoids going into complex situarions (like the one you describe).

Uo that's sad soblue
in some ways this show me that they are dropping the ball... Not even something like this?
edited: this is not official in any way.. it's just how I play it at my home with 2.1 rulebook

abendoso wrote:
An example of the variant

Yep Antonio, I fully understand your variant. But, this variant sometimes dont work well. Let's see the case "Korea Mission 1"
In this mission from turn 1 to 4 we have "Daylight" and from turn 5 to 6 we have "Limited visibility". And Korea Terrain Deck is full of Open Terrains. So something like this can happen at the end of turn 4:

A---> with an enemy A-V firing to your men
B---> no PC marker because the enemy line of fire
C---> no PC marker because the enemy line of fire
D---> your men, lets say a squad with a A VOF

And with the beginning of turn 5 with Limited Visibility, you will end with a PC marker on D, that will output an enemy adjacent to your squad. So a new (maybe) enemy teleportated will advance two rows

Someone can understand my example? (crossing fingers )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A ver, por ahora el trabajo (y te puedo asegurar que está siendo una currada) se ha centrado en las reglas. Al fin y al cabo piensa que lo estamos sacando entre cuatro tíos a tiempo parcial y algún que otro voluntario que hace la del Guadiana. Las reglas van bien, pero el juego siempre será complicado.

En cuanto a la matriz de decisiones, no se decirte de cabeza si se ha revisado. El problema es que tocar eso significa cambiar más que las reglas y la gente que tiene la primera edición tiende a cabrearse. No quiero darte ningún dato oficial porque aunque las nuevas reglas las tengo frescas, más o menos, las ayudas no me acuerdo.

En cuanto a mi variante, la verdad es que la pensé y playtesteé con WWII. Tendría que revisitar Corea y Nam. No descarto hacerlo.

De todas formas fíjate que en tu ejemplo no se da el supuesto al que yo hago siempre referencia y es que por muerte o por movimiento voluntario me quite de en edil una unidad enemiga. En este caso lo que tú planteas es colocar un PC en una carta TODAVÍA ocupada por los americanos y es ahí donde veo la diferencia para aplicar dos reglas distintas (y en este caso simplemente quitar la unidad y poner un PC donde estaba).

Me encanta este juego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
A ver, por ahora el trabajo (y te puedo asegurar que está siendo una currada) se ha centrado en las reglas. Al fin y al cabo piensa que lo estamos sacando entre cuatro tíos a tiempo parcial y algún que otro voluntario que hace la del Guadiana. Las reglas van bien, pero el juego siempre será complicado.

Si necesitais dos ojos más para repasar a fondo las reglas (que no editar/maquetar/ o escribirlas) puedes contar conmigo Antonio.

abendoso wrote:

En cuanto a la matriz de decisiones, no se decirte de cabeza si se ha revisado. El problema es que tocar eso significa cambiar más que las reglas y la gente que tiene la primera edición tiende a cabrearse. No quiero darte ningún dato oficial porque aunque las nuevas reglas las tengo frescas, más o menos, las ayudas no me acuerdo.

He editado el mensaje comentando que es como yo juego. No cambia las reglas en ningun caso. Simplemente es añadir 1 linea más para conseguir no saber SIEMPRE si el enemigo se convierte en PC. Que es lo que más me molesta a mi, por que digo yo que el enemigo tendrá derecho a irse acobardado

abendoso wrote:

De todas formas fíjate que en tu ejemplo no se da el supuesto al que yo hago siempre referencia y es que por muerte o por movimiento voluntario me quite de en edil una unidad enemiga. En este caso lo que tú planteas es colocar un PC en una carta TODAVÍA ocupada por los americanos y es ahí donde veo la diferencia para aplicar dos reglas distintas (y en este caso simplemente quitar la unidad y poner un PC donde estaba).
esto no lo habias contado. Okey, en ese caso si que podria ser una variante perfectamente valida

abendoso wrote:
Me encanta este juego.
En esto nunca te voy a llevar la contraria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

Me encanta este juego.

Coincido en esto. Y cada vez más.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

2. My variant doesn't play exactly the way you mentioned. Lets take an example:

[explicación clara y detallada]

ok, creo que ya lo tengo claro.

A ver cómo haría esto. Evento enemigo "Fall Back: move all unpinned units back one card";

Una LMG alemana en F2C4 estaba disparando a F1C4; retrocede a F3C4 y pierde la LOS a cualquier unidad mía. Como no tengo ocasión de mover tras el evento, va a desaparecer. Pongo otro marcador en F1C4 ¿verdad? donde mi ATeam lo va a activar de inmediato.

Edito para añadir: que esa era la parte fácil. Otro Squad apareció sin poner VoF/PdF (paquete 15 Maneuver). También retrocede pero no disparaba a nadie. ¿?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Precisamente por eso Ben no apoya mi variante, demasiadas excepciones.
Para mí si una unidad se mueve y desaparece no es la misma situación que si yo muevo (o muero) una unidad. Si se ha ido por su propia voluntad sigo la regla original (PC donde desaparecio). Si, mi unidad se retira o muere entonces pongo el PC donde estaba mi unidad.

De la forma en que entiendo este juego es que los PC marcan zonas que no se han explorado. Si yo mando un tío a una zona y el tío no vuelve porque se ha muerto, o vuelve corriendo acojonado no puedo estar seguro de que en esa zona ya no haya enemigos en el futuro. Sin embargo, si mando a un tío y el tío se queda en la zona y ve como el enemigo se retira, puedo apuntar la. O a como "limpia".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.