Mythos Tales» Forums » General

Subject: Comparison to Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan smit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

So, I really want to get an investigation game, and I'm really torn between these two. Which, to you, is the better game? I realise this forum might be slightly biased, because I'm posting this in the Mythos Tales section, but I figured that the people who play Mythos Tales might've already played SHCD.

Oh, and before I forget: is there still a place where I can download some of the mythos tales cases?

Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giledude wrote:
Which, to you, is the better game?

Well, I might be not the best person to answer these questions because I only finished the Prologue Case and Case 1 so far. And for Sherlock I only played the first case a little while ago.
In general the concepts of the two games are quite similar. And game-wise there is not much of a difference. Here are some pointers

+/- Theme. This one is set in a Lovecraftian universe whereas Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is set in the time of Sherlock Holmes. This game includes supernatural beings and such from the Lovecraft story. Not everything makes sense in "real life". In Sherlock most of the cases, but one (as I heard) are very "down to earth" and similar to the stories in their nature.

+/- This game feels a little bit easier. It has a flatter learning curve, with the cases getting harder one by one. Sherlock pushes you right in. And it can be hard in the beginning to connect the dots.

+/- Mythos Tales uses a maximum time mechanic where you actually track time. In Sherlock you compare the time you needed to Sherlock's time and that is it basically. Here you might have another outcome depending on the time you needed.

+ Some of the encounters in Mythos Tales might change future investigations.

+ This game uses clue cards to unlock encounters at certain points. This makes the story a little bit tighter because you must have spoken to Person A about Matter X before you can go to Person B and talk with them about Matter X. It also means a little bit more to keep track of.

+ The newspaper feels a little bit more coupled to the setting for me.

+ The introduction and prologue stories have a professional voice actor, reading them which you can easily access with a QR code.

+ There are expansions already in the work.

-- This game feels lees proof-read. There are several cases that have huge errors in them, making them unsolvable. There are some pointers in the forums what to do so you can navigate around them but it is still a downside of this game. Sherlock feels more playtested. Cases that have such problems are: Case 1 (easily fixed with an errata), Case 4, Case 6, Prologue Case to my knowledge

Quote:
Oh, and before I forget: is there still a place where I can download some of the mythos tales cases?

As far as I know they are not available anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gosland
Australia
Hoddles Creek
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Links to the first two cases are still on the Kickstarter page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan smit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Very detailed comparison. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
giledude wrote:
Hi guys,

So, I really want to get an investigation game, and I'm really torn between these two. Which, to you, is the better game? I realise this forum might be slightly biased, because I'm posting this in the Mythos Tales section, but I figured that the people who play Mythos Tales might've already played SHCD.

Many thanks

I've played all 10 games of Sherlock Holmes and 6 Mythos Tales.

I find Mythos Tales much more enjoyable. The time tracker is great because it gives you a sense of urgency and forces you to not explore every nook and cranny. There are also some cool time based mechanics that you will discover as you play more.

The stories are much more interesting and the mysteries make much more sense. I felt like in Sherlock, you had to make really far leaps to solve the questions, but Mythos Tales has much more conclusive evidence.

The red herrings in Sherlock are also much more frustrating. You can easily waste 3+ turns following a useless lead in Sherlock... this doesn't really happen in Mythos Tales.

Yes there are typos, but Sherlock had many of those as well (due to the translation from French). If you're a fan of these choose your own adventure mystery type of games, I would definitely get Mythos Tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Magee

Missoula
Montana
msg tools
I think both are great for different reasons. With sherlock you have a puzzle, you can travel to many different locations, acquire the necessary pieces but you need to put them all together to form a cohesive solution. This is true in some cases over others, and it is in those that I felt sherlock really shines. Mythos is more a choose your own adventure with a time limit, creating a sense of urgency. There is still a mystery to be solved but the answers are generally provided so long as you speak to the right people. It is much more concerned with telling a story then placing you in a situation where you run over your notes again and again trying to figure out what you might be missing. Mythos is fun, I'm halfway done and Case three has really been the highlight. Frankly once you have played one, if you enjoyed it, you will likely pick up the other, there just are not enough games like this out there to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that Mythos Tales has more in common with Gumshoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
+ This game uses clue cards to unlock encounters at certain points. This makes the story a little bit tighter because you must have spoken to Person A about Matter X before you can go to Person B and talk with them about Matter X. It also means a little bit more to keep track of.

This part alone makes Mythos Tales more appealing to me.

Without these cards, there can tend to be some metagaming going on. "Now that we learned X, maybe we should finally visit A." "Nah, A was available from the very beginning so a group that went to A first wouldn't be able to follow up with X since that is learned much later."

With these cards, I envision visiting A and getting only the partial story if you haven't uncovered X. With these cards, you can duplicate this. I think all the cards ought to have been referenced even if they're not used because knowing that a location is not contingent on other information is yet another form of metagaming. Oh well, maybe the expansions will have those smokescreens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.