Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week?

mbmbcorn This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbcorn WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbcorn The WDYPTW Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was so good to have Game Night again...

Tuesday
1x - Concordia - mb Britannia map

Wednesday
1x - Forbidden Island

Thursday
1x - Concordia - mb Italia map

Friday
2x - Morels

Saturday - Game Night
1x - Nika
1x - Thief's Market - New!
1x - Medici - New!

It was a blast hosting Game Night after a few months off. We had a great turn out with new and familiar faces. I have two more on the calendar before the end of the year and a pile of games we all want to play.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2016 List at 78/100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Wishesx6
The Game x1
Ticket to Ride: Rails and Sails x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Monday
I'd been planning our Halloween game night for a little while, and it didn't disappoint. We had our first game of Mansions of Madness: Second Edition, completing the first scenario. Wonderful time.

Wednesday
Took on the second scenario in Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. Things did not go so well.

Thursday
Settled in for some Tanto Cuore, mixing our 3 sets together. Unfortunately there was a family emergency after the second game.

Friday
Another 2 games of Tanto Cuore, followed by Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy. I finally learned to stop focusing on my patron card and go for pure points, and actually won by a single point.

Saturday
First time mixing Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game with the Dead of Winter: The Long Night expansion. 2 games. I used to love the game. Now... meh. There's a puzzle there, sure, but doesn't do much for me. Also broke out Hey, That's My Fish! for a quick best-of-three. Apparently we'd been playing wrong until now, and the real rules aren't my forte. Got crushed.

Sunday
I'd been waiting for days, so was thrilled to get Mansions of Madness: Second Edition out again for the second go at Innsmouth. We kinda won, although both my investigators lost hard in the final turns. Awesome. I love this game so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great week of gaming! 4 new games (1 of them PBF but still), 5 days of gaming with 11 plays of 11 games. I only won 3.

Monday

Glorantha: The Gods War - PBF

Wednesday

Mare Nostrum: Empires
Mystic Vale
Imperial Settlers

Thursday

Cthulhu Wars
Cosmic Encounter

Saturday

Battlestar Galactica
Beasty Bar
Oceanos
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King

Sunday

Neanderthal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little. soblue
1 x Ghost Blitz
1 x Cards Against Humanity

We played CAH for 1 hr 45 minutes, and I won by shuffling my first hand then picking only the top card in my hand and placing new cards at the back of my hand. This was the only way I could entertain myself during this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Really good week for me helped by some more time off.

Monday
Port Royal x3. Our first plays of this one.
San Juan (second edition)

Wednesday
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small x2. Past the 140 play mark. Still loving this one.

Friday
Drive. I really like this one as a game to play when you want a break from Lost Cities or Jaipur. More people should be playing this or one of it's many iterations.
Suburbia x2. Now past 160 plays. The last 50 or so with the Inc expansion.
Port Royal x3. I don't know, it seems like the decisions are too straightforward in a two player game.

Saturday
Agricola (revised edition) x2. Our first plays of this too. Though I have played the app version probably 30 times, my wife crushed me in the first game and beat me by a few points in the second game. It made her very happy and she said that she likes it better than ACBAS! Looking forward to more of this one.
Ticket to Ride x2.

Sunday
Fjords. Not my wife's favorite game, finally just hitting the 20 plays mark (owned since early 2014.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junk Art x 4 [New to Me]
City of Spies: Estoril 1942 x 2 [New to Me]
Diamonds Club x 1
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective x 1
Terror in Meeple City x 2 [New to Me]
Castellion x 4 (solo)
The Witches: A Discworld Game x 1 (solo)
Guilds of London x 1 (solo) [New to Me]
Sentinels of the Multiverse x 1 (solo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Marvel Legendary x1
Dice Masters x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday:
Lords of Vegas x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a superdupergreat week of gaming, but very acceptable nonetheless

On Monday, GF and I played our very first game of The Gallerist. I picked up a KS copy in the BGG Essen auction, only to find out that EGG were selling the game plus both stretch goal packs for a little bit less than what I paid in the auction. Ah well, this copy is in perfect condition so I don't mind

What a smooth game! There is a lot going on, but it all makes sense. I wasn't as instantly blown away as with some other games, but I think this one will show its strategical richness with some more plays. I thought I won this game, but my GF actually did. I just messed up one detail in endgame scoring (actually giving out money for the work of art won in the auction).

On Thursday, we played The Gallerist again. Seemed like the sensible thing to cement the rules. This game was much shorter than the one on Monday. In part because we knew the rules now, but in part because we both went with a strategy focused on buying lots of cheap (1$ cheap) pieces of art, trying to sell them at a better price later on. We both failed in that respect, as I only sold one work, and GF sold two when the tickets and meeples ran out. But promoting heavily meant my collection was worth a lot, and I won the auction cheaply because GF, in a momentary lapse of reason, moved the visitors she meant to use for a last-turn auction bid from her lobby to her gallery.

Quick picture of the endgame state. GF wasn't feeling too well, so she didn't want her picture taken ninja

On Friday, we played two rounds of the new-to-us Terrible Monster. I liked it, GF didn't. I hope she's willing to give it another go some time, since it didn't appear to 'click' for her since she made some moves that were so obviously bad that I'm sure she wouldn't have made them if she had been feeling better.

And on Saturday, we played a quick two-player game of Ice Cool. It's better with more players, but two is still fun. And we spent twenty minutes after the game just trying out trick shots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Price
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game
Saturday Roll for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wednesday
1x Flash Point: Fire Rescue
1x Small World

Sunday
1x Flash Point: Fire Rescue
1x Small World
2x King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Had a great weekend playing games.

Red-Handed x2
BANG! The Dice Game x2
5 Alive X2
This Game is Bonkers! x1
Love Letter x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
Saturday
First time mixing Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game with the Dead of Winter: The Long Night expansion. 2 games. I used to love the game. Now... meh. There's a puzzle there, sure, but doesn't do much for me. Also broke out Hey, That's My Fish! for a quick best-of-three. Apparently we'd been playing wrong until now, and the real rules aren't my forte. Got crushed.

What were you playing wrong in HtmF? I own the game and thought it was pretty straightforward. But I guess you thought the same, so I'm wondering if there is some easy-to-miss rule in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday 2nd

The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel
Captain Sonar
Flamme Rouge
Imhotep
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong (x3)

Friday 4th

Triumvirate
Fluxx
Cthulhu Rising
Game of Thrones: Westeros Intrigue
Dominion

Sunday 6th

T.I.M.E Stories with T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons
Escalation!
Ghosts!

A pretty good week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Wormaap wrote:
celdom wrote:
Saturday

What were you playing wrong in HtmF? I own the game and thought it was pretty straightforward. But I guess you thought the same, so I'm wondering if there is some easy-to-miss rule in there

I thought you moved, then took away the fish you ended on, not the fish you started on. I have no idea why I thought that was what you did. It was unthematic and really fiddly (put penguin down, pick back up to get tile, put penguin back down). So playing the real way made things less fiddly, but also... I don't know... blocking felt different somehow. It's possible my girlfriend's just getting good at that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
Wormaap wrote:
celdom wrote:
Saturday

I thought you moved, then took away the fish you ended on, not the fish you started on. I have no idea why I thought that was what you did. It was unthematic and really fiddly (put penguin down, pick back up to get tile, put penguin back down). So playing the real way made things less fiddly, but also... I don't know... blocking felt different somehow. It's possible my girlfriend's just getting good at that though.

Ah yes, I can imagine that does change the game a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday

Starfarers of Catan
Dungeonquest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro + Harbor + Millionaires Row exp | 5 players

Pandemic The Cure | 3p

7 Wonders + Leaders + Cities | 6p

Evolution | 6p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FRIDAY:
T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons

SATURDAY:
Blood Rage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Rodrigues
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
The Castles of Burgundy x2
Concept x?
Codenames Pictures x4
Telestrations x?
Mysterium x1

Yeah, it was a "partyish" week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROBERT Burg
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had quite a bit of dud game plays this week unfortunately.

Tuesday

King of New York w/ Power-up Expansion: Loved it and the evolutions are fun, the new character is whatever (sharks are pretty uninteresting)
Epic Spell Wars: Rumble at Castle Tentakill: Played this just by itself and love what they added with the blood tokens and passing the tower, can't wait to combine it with the previous game.

Thursday

Tuscany: Finally got to play this expansion to Viticulture and I loved it. I have played so much Viticulture Essential Edition that I was excited to see Tuscany. They change so many worker spaces and how the seasons work I feel like they are different worker placement games after awhile. I would be more than happy to play with or without the Tuscany expansion.

Fresco: Horribabble, went into it knowing nothing about it. Left, never wanting to see this miserable game again.

Friday

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization: Got another 2 player game of this in with my brother in law. Beautiful, long, dumb, and one of my favorite games.

Saturday

Tzolk'in: A perfectly mediocre worker placement. Went a little longer than I wanted it to be.

Mexica: Got through round 1 and realized that we were running out of water tiles because we were using them to block off bridges which we found out was illegal water placement a little too late and just scrapped the entire play. It was fine.

Castle of Mad King Ludwig w/ Secrets: Fun, I usually hate tile placement games but something about this is very fun. The swans are a little interesting set collection aspect and the moat is a if you are in a mood for a different type of castle building experience. The worst part was the actual secret room halls, which didn't really add anything to the overall experience. Still love the game.

Vinhos Deluxe Edition: used 2016 rule set. First play and from what people said I was expecting a much more heavy experience. It was a pretty simple action selection system. We were playing it next to people who were playing Tuscany, they seemed to be having a much more fun time. I enjoyed Vinhos and was happy to play it. Just was a lighter experience than anticipated.

Inis: Probably the biggest disappointment of the week. I have been hearing about this from all sorts of different podcasts and the comparisons to Kemet made me even more amped. Not interested in the least. The 17 cards that are drafted are uninteresting, the win conditions are uninteresting, the epic tale cards of uninteresting, and surprise the land cards are dull. I will keep my description of this game as boring as the game was to play.

Pretty good to play alot of new games, in the end didn't play anything that tipped me out of my seat. Through the Ages probably takes top spot last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness x1
Codenames Pictures x2
The Game of Bad Choices x1
One Night Ultimate Werewolf x3
Mystic Vale x1
New Bedford x1 (really loving this game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wednesday:
The Butterfly Garden
Las Vegas
Age of War
Fairy Tale

We had a last minute change of venue so we ended up focusing on games that could be played around a relatively small table.

Saturday:
Battlestar Galactica

Sunday:
Munchkin Legends (this game marked my completion of this year's 365 game challenge)
Terra Mystica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.