Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Phillips
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

Just played through our second game of this and had a bit of uncertainty with one of the haunt rules and wanted to seek some clarification:

We played Haunt 41 - which features an invisible traitor.

If a hero uses the revolver to shoot several tiles away, will the hero hit the invisible traitor if the traitor is located within the line of sight, but not in the tile that they have targeted?

eg, if tiles are laid out [A] - [B] - [C] - [D]

Hero is in [A] and has LoS to [D]

Shoots with revolver to [D]

Invisible Traitor is located in [A] also

What happens?

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, the Secrets of Survival says
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If the traitor is in the same room as you, you fight normally. If the traitor isn’t there, you fail and you can’t make another attack that turn. If you fire the Revolver or throw Dynamite into a room where the traitor is, resolve the attack normally.

and the Traitor's Tome says
If a hero guesses (or knows) what room you’re in and attacks you, that attack is handled normally.

From these statements, I'd say heroes need to declare which room they think the traitor is in (regardless of the type of attack or line of sight). So, in your example, a hero who declared he was shooting at tile [D] would miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Thurlow
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
For reference, the Secrets of Survival says
If the traitor is in the same room as you, you fight normally. If the traitor isn’t there, you fail and you can’t make another attack that turn. If you fire the Revolver or throw Dynamite into a room where the traitor is, resolve the attack normally.

and the Traitor's Tome says
If a hero guesses (or knows) what room you’re in and attacks you, that attack is handled normally.

From these statements, I'd say heroes need to declare which room they think the traitor is in (regardless of the type of attack or line of sight). So, in your example, a hero who declared he was shooting at tile [D] would miss.

In the example given by the OP the invisible traitor is in the same room as the hero so, according to your spoiler quotes, the fight is handled normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Phillips
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
ironregime wrote:
I'd say heroes need to declare which room they think the traitor is in (regardless of the type of attack or line of sight).

Yeah that was my logic too - that the shooter must declare the tile and we resolve if that tile contains the traitor.

But on the night we ended up going the other way, and letting the invisible traitor take a hit. But that was moreso because

(a) it was getting late and the game needed to wrap up, and
(b)it is a rarity to shoot an invisible child in a boardgame

so I suppose we must embrace the opportunities when they arise :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Phillips
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
acediamond1013 wrote:
In the example given by the OP the invisible traitor is in the same room as the hero so, according to your spoiler quotes, the fight is handled normally.

Yep that's where we stumbled on interpretation on the night... essentially the question boils down to:

Does the attack hit only tile [D]

or

Does the attack hit [A], [B], [C], and [D]

I can see how it can go both ways, but I think if something like that happens again we will have it so the shooter declares which tile they are attacking specifically, and then we resolve only that tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.