16 Posts

Legends Untold» Forums » News

Subject: Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi guys just to let you know more reviews coming out imminently.

Michael May at Toucan Play has just posted and there should be two or possibly three more this week from UK based reviewers.

We have also got another two US based reviewers looking at copies.

It's important to point out that one of our reviewers this week found the game fairly complicated.

We are very grateful for the review and of course want you guys to see it ASAP so you can make an informed decision.

The challenge we always have with this game is depth vs. simplicity and where we draw that line.

We have always pushed the boundaries with Legends to try and squeeze as much depth as possible out of it. We look forward to seeing the remaining reviews as they come in to help in that decision process.

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the KS (more than I have for any game in a while). I appreciate the research you are doing prior to the launch and expect a successful campaign. What is the latest on launch date? Also, what are the plans for post KS? How does shipping look to be shaping up for US pledges?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Ryan,

OK so we are planning on launching at 8pm GMT on 15 November.

Current hurdles to overcome prior to launch:

1 - Finalise KS video (I'm supposed to see the first draft tonight)
2 - Add voiceover to video from voice artist (being recorded today)
3 - finalise KS page.

This is the biggest moving part.

What we need to do now is lock down what you guys want in terms of card sizes, we need this to finish the stretch goals and can't launch the KS without the stretch goals in there.

Feedback from Reviewers and you guys is:
separate out Events and Scenarios - check
give us more content - check
give us bigger cards, Locations certainly, others if possible (not everyone on that to be fair).
You want to be able to sleeve cards

We need to pick two card sizes to nail this and keep costs down and make the mechanics work. All cards in the Adventure deck need to be the same size - so if we make Foes bigger then everything needs to be bigger.

The biggest Card Sleeves we can see are 88*125.

This MAY work for our large format cards which are double poker (88*127), if the manufacturer can trim - I need to hear back on that.

If not we need to drop to the next lowest size which is 88*120.
Not the end of the world but you will lose that card matching tableau effect at the bottom.

We have tried out the bigger Locations and we can definitely put more stuff on them for you.

Questions for you lot though:

1) do you really care is if is 88*120 rather than 88*125?
2) Are you happy to increase the cost price by say 10% (£19 becomes c. £21) to accommodate the increased cost of the larger cards lower down the stretch goal list so that you know you will be more likely to get them?

Post KS we hope to be able to retail the game but clearly we won't know until we see if we fund.

Shipping for US pledges is very decent. If we keep the game as was planned (see above) it came in at less than $10 last time I checked.
If we can still keep the box pretty small we would hope this will remain the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response. I have no doubt the campaign will be a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessie76 wrote:
1) do you really care is if is 88*120 rather than 88*125?
2) Are you happy to increase the cost price by say 10% (£19 becomes c. £21) to accommodate the increased cost of the larger cards lower down the stretch goal list so that you know you will be more likely to get them?

My opinion is:
1) I like sleeving my cards especially when shuffling is needed. As such I would prefer 88x125 cards as it would fit commercial sleeves. If it drops to 88x120 I would still use the 88x125 sleeves anyway but would probably need to trim them to be able to lay the cards correctly on the play area.
2) $2 is not a big deal for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nessie76 wrote:

We need to pick two card sizes to nail this and keep costs down and make the mechanics work. All cards in the Adventure deck need to be the same size - so if we make Foes bigger then everything needs to be bigger.

The biggest Card Sleeves we can see are 88*125.

This MAY work for our large format cards which are double poker (88*127), if the manufacturer can trim - I need to hear back on that.

If not we need to drop to the next lowest size which is 88*120.
Not the end of the world but you will lose that card matching tableau effect at the bottom.

It seems 88*127 is about the same size as the cards in Cutthroat Caverns, so this entry should apply, which means there's still 2 options:

Swan PanAsia sleeve size: Cutthroat Caverns (SWN-048, 100/pack) - (90 x 128mm)
Ultra-Pro sleeve size: Oversized Black Deck Protector (82420, 40/pack) - (90 x 127mm).

So I think there's no need to reduce the size if that means losing some visual information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
I think £21 is still a great price, and think the cards will benefit being slightly bigger for more visual and info, so not all crammed in.
And please add the druid and alchemy deck as stretch goal that you mentioned in the other post those sound great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK thanks Claire,

Right If I get a few more opinions on the price we will finish off the stretch goals section and move forward.

Druid and Alchemy - ahh to finish those complete decks would require a lot more cards to be designed up right now and we don't want to delay getting the game to you. we are just future proofing the starter set Location cards so they will be compatible with these Occupation paths in due course.

I know you haven't seen the career path tech tree yet, all will be revealed soon enough. I've managed to map out the first 54 planned Occupations so far.

However don't fear we have got a couple of treats for you guys in the KS Campaign that will at least let you dabble in these two areas.

Hmmm, maybe there is a captured Druid initiate in the Caves or Sewers who needs your help - can you befriend her and unlock a 9th Career path?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
Watched the ToucanPlayThatGame review, what he said about the solo variant is a shame, am hoping that won't be an issue, as will be playing this one mostly solo. Was also confused with the way he was laying the obstacles on opening the barriers that seemed somewhat chaotic. Hopefully will make more sense in due course.

Aaah so the Druid set etc will be for another KS maybe by the sounds of it??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
Watched the ToucanPlayThatGame review, what he said about the solo variant is a shame, am hoping that won't be an issue, as will be playing this one mostly solo. Was also confused with the way he was laying the obstacles on opening the barriers that seemed somewhat chaotic. Hopefully will make more sense in due course.

Aaah so the Druid set etc will be for another KS maybe by the sounds of it??

His comments on complexity in the solo game are to be expected. I play PACG solo with three characters, so I'm used to managing an array of individual actions and abilities. To a new player that can seem overwhelming, but it didn't seem like too much to overcome in Ricky's play through.

Also, it looked like he was trying to make the cards look as chaotic as possible to drive home his point about the barriers. Again, judging from Ricky's video, I don't think it will be much of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We are really grateful for Michael spending his time reviewing the game because I know it takes hours to produce those videos let alone the hours invested to learn our game.

I worry that this may sound defensive rather than factual, it's not my intent.

Art: Very hard, always subjective. The only thing I can say is that we sifted through over a hundred portfolios before slecting Simon who then worked for 3 weeks on the new cover and Scott (our graphic designer), myself and Hugh had several conference calls about it. I am a huge fan of Simon's work personally but art is subjective.

Barriers: Locations can only be placed portrait or landscape, not at angles. Barriers remain in play so we can impact them in fun ways with the Event deck they need to be close to the Locations concerned. We are considering using linking tokens for this if it is a great concern to people.

Solo play balance: I'm sure Michael is right and this may need looked at. Playing the three talents plus Grit has always worked for me in Lonewolf mode. We recommend that people can start at a level above 1 if they feel the game is too difficult.

Complexity around talents: This is a worry for me. I asked Deborah who as you can say played multihanded, I asked Ricky who said the difficulty level was moderate at best.

We will see other Reviews whent they come in and can tweak accordingly.

A suggestion Ricky gave was to have a very simple introductory scenario. We were thinking something like fully explore 3 Locations then camp just to get used to the game. Would this help?

Defined terms or glossary words: Michael is correct there is an A4 sheet of these guys. You don't need to learn them all from the start just have them as a reference. However we found using defined terms was the only way to keep the game succinct enough to fit on the cards.

Once again to reiterate, huge thanks to Michael for his review and I hope you guys enjoyed the chance to see a different opinion on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to come here and suggest the linked marker tokens for traps. Good to see that is in consideration.

Art is subjective. Personally, I'm not in love with it but if the gameplay is as good as it looks to be it won't detract from my enjoyment.

Complexity looks fine to me based on Ricky's video.

A quick tutorial scenario with set foes and barriers that introduce the main concepts and keywords would be welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Aaah so the Druid set etc will be for another KS maybe by the sounds of it??[/q]

Yes, there will be a cheeky surprise for you in the KS we hope you like but that is correct to do it justice it would be a future release date.

To give you an idea I had mapped out the following Lores for Druidism
:

Reptiles, Insects, Mammals, Aquatic, plants, birds and weather.

Now imagine you have these icons in the various Environments to power your chosen Talents. Now imagine you are exploring the world and travelling between two cities, suddenly the Druid has a whole new set of Talents.
It's a VERY big talent path.

Alchemy again needs similar devotion. The last time I was using it my vision was to have over 100 different ingredients that could be collected. These could be combined in a huge number of different ways.
And we would want to give you a special Alchemist's pack so you can collect your hard earned ingredients and use them from one Scenario the next.

So that is why we took the decision to park these for expansions. We need to walk before we can run.

Hope that helps!

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
Don't worry Kev it didn't sound defensive.

Very true that art is subjective. Like I said on one of my posts I prefer the box art above then the new one.
That makes sense with the barriers, thought was a bit odd how it was laid out.

An introductory scenario sounds good idea.

Things that some people find complex won't be complex for others I suppose. Look forward to the other reviews and it is appreciated that you are taking everyone's views into account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra price, £2, is fine if we are going to get larger cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 = No, not bothered at all
2 = Not really bothered either way

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.