12 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: First contact broken rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Marc Boulay
Canada
flag msg tools
The first contact requirement is it broken when a crisis card destroy a system and cut the connexion between two or more homeworlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jimbull57 wrote:
The first contact requirement is it broken when a crisis card destroy a system and cut the connexion between two or more homeworlds.

I don't believe so. You are talking about being able to bid during the initiative phase correct? It says that once first contact has been made, those factions can start bidding during that phase. Even if it gets broken later, it has still "been made". As a logical comparison, a cake has still "been made" even after it has been eaten...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Marc Boulay
Canada
flag msg tools
I was thinking exactly like you.You only confirm my comprehension of that rule.Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to understand how this happened in the first place. I thought you only drew an explore card the first time a system is entered. If the planet was destroyed by a crisis card, did first contact even happen? I guess its a matter of how you interpret the rules for timing purposes. (Even then, the only way a planet could connect two homeworlds is if the placement of a new planet connected to hanging space lane. This isn't impossible, but I would think it would be rare.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont even think this is actually possible, or likely, to occur as you cant perform an exploration on an existing system.

what i mean is, you move your ship to explore the unknown area
-you then come across a system, you explore it at which time a crisis card is drawn, showing a system destroying event.
-the planet is removed before you established a 2nd spacelane from that system towards another player's territory.

a possibility would be that player A finds the system first, but his ship is destroyed by a hazard before it could check the exploration card
-player B then connects to the same system with a spacelane from his side
-then is able to perform the exploration card thereby destroying the system.
-in this case there would be for a moment 2 spacelanes linking the system to both A and B but i do think the idea is the exploration card must be resolved first before the connection becomes permanent ie before the exploration is truly done.
-if the system is destroyed at that point then i think first contact wasnt yet established, the path was never truly in place

i could see it both ways, so perhaps some clarification would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess that the contact did not have a chance to happen, if the case is as noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimbull57 wrote:
I am not sure I understand the post. Are you thinking that once the connection is broken that the conditions of first contact are no longer in effect or that the actual rules for first contact are broken and negatively affect the game?

I THINK you are referring to the first case. If so, I do not see this as a problem, as has been stated the contact has been made and there is no snaking it. I do not see this as a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quick quest though, that would break trade agreements, right? Because you can't have trade with a player you lost connection with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
Quick quest though, that would break trade agreements, right? Because you can't have trade with a player you lost connection with.

Trade actually has nothing to do with contact...it just seems that way because contact will almost always have been made when the conditions to trade are met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty sure it's impossible to break a connection once it's been made. No scenario comes to mind that would allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack mercenary for hire
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

-if the system is destroyed at that point then i think first contact wasnt yet established, the path was never truly in place

Angelsenior is correct. Follow the order of operation as presented in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
Pretty sure it's impossible to break a connection once it's been made. No scenario comes to mind that would allow it.

It's very unlikely but it can happen. If you die to a hazardous system while exploring, you place the exploration card face down on the planet. The first person to brave the hazard encounters the card. There's nothing stopping someone connecting more systems to the one with the card on it before someone stops there and braves the hazard. In this way, Planet Eater can occasionally eat a system other than a newly-explored dead end.

In any case: first contact can't be un-made. It happens the first time your homeworld is connected to another player's homeworld by space lanes, even for a second. Once it happens it's permanent, nothing in the game currently is capable of taking it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.