Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the recent iconography threads I looked through some of the building cards and needed clarification.

There are buildings that let you gain influence based on the poker cards shown at the start of phase III (Blacksmith, Cattle Farm, Haberdashery, Lodge). The rule states "...Gain 1(X) For Every ? Suit Poker Card in Play..." This makes sense to me. If there are 3 of a certain suit, you gain 3(X) (three of any combination of influence you want).

There are buildings that let you gain influence based on the amount of Industry Symbols you own (Lumberyard, Train Station, Mining Co.). The rule states "Gain 1(X) For Every ? Industry Icon you Own" This also makes sense. If you own 3 of a certain industry, you gain 3(X).

Lastly, there are buildings that let you save influence during purchased based on the Industry Icons on the purchased card (Collapsed Mine, Wagon Repair, Newspaper Office). The rule states "Pay 1 less (X) for each ? Industry Icon..." This one I'm not so sure of.

If you place on the Newspaper Office (Railroad Discount)
Then during the buy phase you purchase the Outhouse
- 3 Railroad Symbols
- Cost 1 Law, 1 Gold, 1 Force

How much does the Outhouse cost you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A TRICK QUESTION!!!

I would say that the Outhouse costs you 1 Force... and maybe a match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A TRICK QUESTION!!!

I would say that the Outhouse costs you 1 Force... and maybe a match.

Not quite the reply I was looking for, but it made me laugh +1 to you sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You could acquire the Outhouse for free that way. Because it saves you 1(x) for each Railroad icon of the building you buy and the Outhouse has 3 Railroad icons, and cost 3 influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
You could acquire the Outhouse for free that way. Because it saves you 1(x) for each Railroad icon of the building you buy and the Outhouse has 3 Railroad icons, and cost 3 influence.

Ok, that is the way we've been playing it. But it goes against the wording slightly.

With multiple industry icons I see the card saying this...
Pay 1 less (X) per
If three icons then: Pay 3 less (X) per -> Therefore Pay (X)(X)(X) less.
- Meaning you could only get a discount on one type of resource, so you'd still have to pay for the other two.

Rather than this...
Pay 1(X) less per
If three icons then: Pay 3(X) less per -> Means you get a full discount of 3 of any type of resources for purchasing that building.

Not sure I get why this was worded different from the others if it is following the same rules as the others.

Thanks for the official answer though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.