Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkids.com/2016/11/07/dice-masters-new-rule-announce...

------

Some of us tried to help raise awareness five years ago. I suppose better late than never.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/7472465#7472465

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/687839/turn-order-advantage...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/688621/how-much-glory-would...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although, since the mechanics of these games are actually quite different, I'm not sure why you're equating this to meaning it's and answer for Quarriors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. They performed a pretty good test:
Quote:
We had a small number of playtest groups focus on trying to determine how likely the first player was to win when two aggressive teams faced off in a mirror match? Depending on the particular mirror match in question, we were seeing the first player won somewhere between 72% and 76% of games. In total, our playtest groups logged over 100 games just trying to determine the current state of the first turn advantage.

Unfortunately, they didn't discuss the results of the experiment using the new start-player rule under the exact same experimental conditions. That would have been nice to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pinter
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I get the problem of first player advantage. It's nice that they finally addressed it. Also a huge plus that they were objective, fairly thorough, and transparent in their explanation (should help cut down on follow up questions/concerns)

That said, I don't play tournaments so it hasn't affected me much. My wife and I primarily play together, and we've mitigated first player advantage by the following: randomly select first player, then 2nd power gets to go first in alternating draft for teams (we draft from a common pool of character cards). We then evenly split dice, play best of 3 games, and loser goes first in subsequent games (with same teams, although a player can reallocate dice for their team within the 20 dice limit per team).

That said, often my wife wants to speed up the process by randomly dealing teams and eliminating drafting (we deal 9 to each player, keep 8, and if a player gets dealt an alternate version of a character it immediately gets discarded and they get a replacement). So in this setting, I think we'll definitely need the new rule. Obviously this random deal business is...well...random, but we only play a limited set of age of Ultron dicemasters from a limited character set (definitely NOT complete) and if we're up for it we play best of 3 and then switch teams for a second best of 3 and see who won overall.

Makes for an interesting way to play without needing to chase rares or new releases. Just our approach and YMMV.

Thanks for the heads up on the news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about why this is in the Quarriors thread; DiceMasters and Quarriors are fairly different games. (Though I do think there is a fairly large early player advantage in Quarriors).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold on. The rule is this:

The player who goes first in a game of Dice Masters, on their first turn, only draws 3 dice from their bag during their Clear and Draw Step, and places 1 die from their bag out of play.

What do they mean exactly by "places 1 die from their bag out of play?"
Do you draw one additional die at random from your bag and put it out of play, or do you pick one of the three dice you just drew and put it out of play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Hold on. The rule is this:

The player who goes first in a game of Dice Masters, on their first turn, only draws 3 dice from their bag during their Clear and Draw Step, and places 1 die from their bag out of play.

What do they mean exactly by "places 1 die from their bag out of play?"
Do you draw one additional die at random from your bag and put it out of play, or do you pick one of the three dice you just drew and put it out of play?

Typically "out of play" would mean it will go the used pile at the end of the turn, but cannot be used for anything during this turn. Since some cards affect dice in the used pile, I'm assuming it's out of play to prevent this. So you draw 3 dice to roll, then draw one more that sits out.

I think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Carl G is correct. Remember Out of Play and Used Pile are different things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the rule discussion in a Dice Masters forum:
Wizkids 1st turn rule change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.