Subject: First play of COIN - is going solo a crazy idea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had FitL sitting on my shelf since last xmas gathering dust, and as I'm on holiday now I'm taking some time to play solo games. However, I've heard that FitL is a seriously complex game.

I've not had the pleasure of playing a COIN game yet. Will it be over the top to try and play my first game solo? Or should I hold off until I've got some other players around, or am able to get onto a teaching game?

If I do go ahead with the solo play, what are the pitfalls I should look out for - easily missed rules, basic strategy tips, etc.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my first COIN game, Andean Abyss, solo. FITL is a bit more complicated.

My advice is to try to go solo as best as you can, and expect to make a lot of mistakes the first few times. Just accept that there will be a lot of errors and that those initial games are purely a learning experience.

You can always ask any questions that come up on the boards here. There are plenty of people who are willing to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
I'd heavily advise to play your first solo game by playing all factions yourself, not by using the official solo bot rules.
The bots are really great, but they add a ton of complexity to what is already not an easily grokked game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what he said: play all the factions yourself, don't try to figure out the bots on top of trying to figure out the game too. But I would say that if you feel stuck as to what to do for a particular faction, checking out what the bot would do might help to resolve things for you. In our experience as new players, feeling overwhelmed with the number of things you can do and finding it hard to figure out what is best to do in a given situation was one of the harder parts of getting a handle on the game. This was my first COIN game too, and I started solo to learn it (so I could teach my usual opponents how to play), and I did get it figured out. But it will take a few games until you really feel comfortable with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it solo as all four factions--the playbook is very helpful and so are the strategy guides you can find in the file section of the Fire in the Lake BGG page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for playing all factions on your first couple games. You will likely pack the game quickly if you try playing with bots the first time, especially if you have no prior experience with COIN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
I'd heavily advise to play your first solo game by playing all factions yourself, not by using the official solo bot rules.
The bots are really great, but they add a ton of complexity to what is already not an easily grokked game.

This.

Definitely do this the first few times. It's also a lot of fun actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael De Meirleir
Belgium
Hamme
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'd have to concur with the others.
Playing all factions a few times, before reverting to the bots, helped me to get a better grasp on Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeld wrote:
I'd have to concur with the others.
Playing all factions a few times, before reverting to the bots, helped me to get a better grasp on Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar.

I guess that I am the lone voice for using the bots right off. They really helped me to better understand the rules. Also, Vassal helps a lot for the first games, as it keeps track of your victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jay,

Playing solo is fine, but as others have said, play each Faction. However, you can use the bot chart to help you understand how each faction would play in a given situation if there were no other competing factors. Also, consider the bot chart that tells you when a Faction would choose the Event (including whether unshaded or shaded) and under what circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to follow along at home, I have played out a full game and posted explanations and pics.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1666016/bots-take-bots-ii
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.