Catacombs» Forums » General

Subject: Catacombs 2e ... Is it just fundamentally broken? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn McCool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played this game multiple times... I have scoured the rules trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong... But, the game just seems to go nowhere.

The heroes are trying to kill monsters so that they can get money. They get to buy stuff (maybe) at a certain point in the dungeon. Then they try to get more money, and then they buy healing to fight the boss. Ok, I get all of that.

But, what's up with all of the other bits? Aren't you able to design a 2D dungeon to move around? Why isn't here more to this game? Where are the rest of the rules? Do people just house-rule this game into something that works?

I imagine that the new version that comes with walls and a bunch of other stuff probably makes the game into something that feels coherent.

Am I doing something wrong maybe? Do you feel like the design works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ra
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Interesting
badge
Dance Dance Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the game is about flicking guys (disks) around laughing when you miss taunting when your opponent misses. I don't see this as a serious game and sit down to have fun flicking arrows or fireballs or crashing the bezerker into enemy after enemy. not sure how you are playing it but i would call it crokinole with a dnd theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always viewed it as DnD PitchCar.

Honestly, it's probably one of my favorite dex games of all time. I've just had some great moments with the game. It's definitely not a game for everyone, so it's hard to tell if you had a bad game of it or if it just wasn't your style.

I've seen incredible teamwork from the heroes as they try and plan how to attack. If one hero doesn't have a great move, they can knock an teammate out from behind cover so they have a clear shot. Trying to plan who uses what abilities and when. I've really never seen a dex game form players into an actual group like this.

Now, the Overseer is overpowered. Which I treat just like a DM in DnD. They control the feel of the game and how difficult it really is. You can wipe a group out in three rooms if you really want to simply by sending all of your minions after one hero constantly. Once one's dead, the rest are at a sever disadvantage. And then the game becomes less fun for the hero players.

Take that role as more of a DM position, and spread the damage around a bit. try some different tactics that take the heroes by surprise a little and force them to react. My favorite is putting a small monster behind a troll and using the small guy's movement to catapult the troll behind enemy lines. The usual "HOLY CRAP!" comment is worth the price of admission as you watch four sets of gears turning trying to figure out the best way to get rid of this huge thing that just plopped in front of them.

Mark my words. Get a fair player behind the Overseer and it's a different kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.