Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. I've been interested in Imperial Settlers for a while. I finally was able to play a demo copy last night and really had a great time with a friend.

I had previously decided against because I had heard that it was mean and that opponents could really ruin your plans. That's fine by me, but my girlfriend isn't as into that. My friend and I played Barbarians and Romans and razed each other only once (and he stole some resources from me). It didn't feel like too much but I only played once and haven't played the other factions yet.

My girlfriend and I both love tableau builders and resource engines, so I think in that way it would be a good fit for us. I've read about the Peaceful Variant, but I'm really more interested in playing the game per normal rules.

What's people's general consensus on this? Does a player need to be mean/nasty to be viable in all four factions? Are the other two factions more confrontational?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found that the interaction to be so intense that you could call it meanness. A player can interrupt some of your plans but not that it should cost you the game. Also, if a player is so hellbent on messing up your stuff, they might not be building enough relevant places to win with.
That's just my take on it.
I really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I'm actually selling my copy because there's not a lot of interaction between the players. You're generally in your own little world doing your own engine.

The other players can snipe at you, but its not something that can completely derail you. It's more annoying than anything.

Naturally, after I sold it, one of the players in my group pipes up that he loves the game for those very reasons.... sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
You're generally in your own little world doing your own engine.

The other players can snipe at you, but its not something that can completely derail you.

See, this is actually perfect for my needs. We mostly play 2-player games, so doing our own thing won't lead to very much downtime, and we both really like building our own worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Play the peaceful variant. It is part of the official rules and solves your whole problem. So....do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
Play the peaceful variant. It is part of the official rules and solves your whole problem. So....do it.

Zepheus wrote:
I've read about the Peaceful Variant, but I'm really more interested in playing the game per normal rules.

It's okay if there's some confrontation and an ability to negatively effect the other player(s) as long as it's not the main focus of gameplay. I don't own the game and I'm not really interested in purchasing it just to play a variant (whether it's in the official rules or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in base game there is not too much interaction.

but in expansions... there are lot of nasty cards in every faction that messes up the opponent, that makes the game more competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.