Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Parker
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
So, the Timid Promo Card reads as:

Timid: Can't be attacked by a Carnivore. May not feed from the Watering Hole until all your non-timid species are fed.

I'm curious how others (including NSG) choose to play this card. Since it only specifies the Watering Hole as a food source, could you have a Timid Carnivore that gets all the protection of the card with none of the cost. I mean a Timid Carnivore could attack and eat whenever it wants since it isn't going after food in the Watering Hole. The same question applies to many other card combos with Timid that get food from other sources like Long Neck, Insectivore, Migratory, Scavenger and Flight (a Timid Flying species can still eat from the Cliff, just not the Watering Hole, yes?).

What about Cooperation? If a species to the left of the Timid species eats from the Watering Hole, does the Timid species get to take food from the same source? Is that considered feeding from the Watering Hole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goldman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your intuition is correct, you want to find another way to feed it that isn't watering hole based. Otherwise it is a defense that is pretty easy to counter... make sure the food runs out and wave goodbye.

I think an intelligent timid herbivore is the way to go (especially if you can combo that with a foraging or cooperation.) But cooperating to it is also a fine solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
So you would say that Cooperation would still work if the species with Cooperation feeds from the Watering Hole and the Timid species is the recipient of the food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Could you have a Timid Carnivore that gets all the protection of the card with none of the cost. I mean a Timid Carnivore could attack and eat whenever it wants since it isn't going after food in the Watering Hole. The same question applies to many other card combos with Timid that get food from other sources like Long Neck, Insectivore, Migratory, Scavenger and Flight (a Timid Flying species can still eat from the Cliff, just not the Watering Hole, yes?).

Yes, Timid is a hard protection for species that don't have to venture to the Watering Hole for food. It's powerful in the right situation, but I don't think it's overly powerful. We like the promo cards to be on the higher level of power so that they impact a game. There is nothing worse than putting in promo cards and discovering that the new cards never get played.

Using up a trait slot on a Carnivore for Timid make it difficult for that species to get fed. That's not over-powered at all.

CenozoicMatt wrote:
What about Cooperation? If a species to the left of the Timid species eats from the Watering Hole, does the Timid species get to take food from the same source? Is that considered feeding from the Watering Hole?

That's fine. The Timid species gets the food from Cooperation. The only restriction is that the Timid species cannot be the species that goes to the Watering Hole on your feeding turn unless all of your other species (including Carnivores) have fed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
msg tools
What if you have a carnivore that has no valid targets and therefore remains unfed? Does the timid creature have to starve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! Sometimes it sucks to be too timid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
New question regarding this card:

Let's say I have a species with Timid and another species with Hibernation.

If the Hibernation species is not fully fed, but no longer hungry and will survive until the next round, can the Timid species start eating from the Watering Hole? Or do all of your species, regardless of traits like Hibernation, need to have food equal to their population before a Timid species can go for the Watering Hole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the fleshed out explanation on page 14 of the rules:

Quote:
Up to 2 Population may be ignored when determining if this species is Hungry. Those Population don't need to be fed during Phase 5 (Feeding) and they won't be lost due to Hunger at the End of Feeding.

Based on that, I'd say your Timid species can go eat so long as every other species of yours is no longer hungry.

**edit for typos**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
If the Hibernation species is not fully fed, but no longer hungry and will survive until the next round, can the Timid species start eating from the Watering Hole?

Yep, David is correct. Hibernation makes it so that species is considered fed even though 1 or 2 of its Population do not have food.

I can see the question though. We need to be really clear about key terms and we're getting sloppy there. It's increasingly tough to consider every card ever printed as we make new traits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.