Subject: Solo variant: why monsters gain power as if there were 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

I am curious why in the solo version monsters gain a base of 3 power while in the 2 player mode, they only gain a base of 2.

I would think that this is because there is an inherent advantage to the different turn sequence and/or maintaining a single deck instead of two (other than reducing shuffling).

I don't know about turn sequence, but I feel that maintaining two separate decks is an advantage over maintaining a combined deck. With multiple decks, you can (and should) specialize your decks. With a single deck, this doesn't work. In my recent plays I was often hampered by drawing several (good) actions in one hand and only none in the other. Not only where the monsters coming out more rapidly than in a two player game, but my deck was slower...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
tbollaert wrote:

I am curious why in the solo version monsters gain a base of 3 power while in the 2 player mode, they only gain a base of 2.

I would think that this is because there is an inherent advantage to the different turn sequence and/or maintaining a single deck instead of two (other than reducing shuffling).

I don't know about turn sequence, but I feel that maintaining two separate decks is an advantage over maintaining a combined deck. With multiple decks, you can (and should) specialize your decks. With a single deck, this doesn't work. In my recent plays I was often hampered by drawing several (good) actions in one hand and only none in the other. Not only where the monsters coming out more rapidly than in a two player game, but my deck was slower...

The primary advantage is the pace at which your deck can improve relative to how quickly the monsters act. Consider the Seal: In a 2-player game, if a Shadowrift comes out on turn 1, it provides power for at least 2 turns. In a 1-player game you could buy a Seal and a Prophecy and seal that bugger the next round.
This advantage can turn against you if you let yourself get too banged up, but that's in line with the advantages and disadvantages of working solo, innit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
karishi wrote:
[In a 2-player game, if a Shadowrift comes out on turn 1, it provides power for at least 2 turns. In a 1-player game you could buy a Seal and a Prophecy and seal that bugger the next round.

Ah ah ah! I was about to write "no you can't" - and then I realized that I have been playing this wrong. For whatever reason I used a deck of 20 cards (2 starting decks) instead of just 10. The rules are not to blame, it's purely on me, I can't figure what made me think this. blush

Obviously with 10 cards instead of 20 you cycle through your deck much more rapidly and avoid the above problem...

I got kicked pretty badly by the Glacien, and now I have a good reason to look for revenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.