Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Gents,

Am nearing a half century as a hard core wargamer. If it didn't have tanks, ships, airplanes, or guns I wasn't interested. Am now trying to learn about the non-wargame gaming community. Have had several non-wargames recommended and among these was one described as a COIN game. Of course I was clueless ... I might as well ask. What is a COIN game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT COIN Series
Guide to GMT Games's COIN Series

I reckon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
COIN stands for COunter INsurgency, it's a series of wargames from GMT about various historical events. They are asymmetrical card driven games, that can be played with 1-4 players.

Here's the page from GMT:
https://www.gmtgames.com/c-36-coin-series.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Cundiff wrote:
Howdy Gents,

Am nearing a half century as a hard core wargamer. If it didn't have tanks, ships, airplanes, or guns I wasn't interested. Am now trying to learn about the non-wargame gaming community. Have had several non-wargames recommended and among these was one described as a COIN game. Of course I was clueless ... I might as well ask. What is a COIN game?

Erm... another wargame from GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I was thinking it was one of those counter insurgency games too, but from the reference the individual was clearly referring to a non-wargame Eurostyle game. So, it can't be those from GMT, or I'd have caught that reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
Maybe the other individual doesn't know what they actually are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one never knows. That could certainly be the case. I surely don't know anything about Euro's and could easily make the same mistake in reverse (assuming a Euro is the opposite of a wargame ... they are, aren't they?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
There are COIN games that are not GMT. Literally counter insurgencey games that people like Kim Kanger and Brian Train have designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soares
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
There are COIN games that are not GMT. Literally counter insurgencey games that people like Kim Kanger and Brian Train have designed.

I could be wrong here, but I believe a COIN game is distinctly unique from games that have counter insurgency.

To elaborate, what makes a COIN game unique (in my opinion) is the system that it uses is essentially card driven by a common deck, which affects turn order, and decision-making as it relates to one's turn, and not so much about a hand of cards like other common CDGs. Likewise, this isn't about hex-and-counter, chit pulling, or playing by the numbers, relying on strategic combat.

In fact, Brian Train helped design A Distant Plain and the upcoming Colonial Twilight, which uses this exact COIN system of the one deck "card-driven" system.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, as I've only dipped into just a handful of war games, but in my view, COIN games are exactly specific to the COIN system used by GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
No, I was thinking it was one of those counter insurgency games too, but from the reference the individual was clearly referring to a non-wargame Eurostyle game. So, it can't be those from GMT, or I'd have caught that reference.

Where's the reference? Seeing the context would make it easier to know what the person was talking about.

Maybe they were talking about games played with coins.
Coin games
(As coin games go, I highly recommend Fight!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:

COIN games are very Euro-y. Card-Driven wargames have always been the most euro-friendly wargames (and a sign of euro-drift from hex and counter.) In addition the bits are euro wood bits, not counters, and the conflict is entirely deterministic. Also, the neat Sequence of Play mechanism involves some very euro-style positive action jostling.

I'm pretty sure they're almost the only popular wargames amongst euro-players that weren't designed by Mark Herman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the reference and the link to the thread here at BGG:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/24090620#24090620

I'm mostly a Euro player and two of the guys in my group really like hex and counter wargames. The Euro games they tend to gravitate toward have conflict and area control. So with that in mind, you might give these a try:

Stabby Area Control Games:
El Grande
Kemet
Tammany Hall
Chaos in the Old World
Dominant Species
Shogun/Wallenstein
A Few Acres of Snow
Any of the COIN series

Other Euros worth considering:
Food Chain Magnate
Historia
Agricola (kind of dry, but a great pure Worker Placement title)
Keyflower
Mage Knight
Dominion

Other great games that are nothing like H&C Wargames:
Codenames
Tokaido
Telestrations
Cash n Guns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Cundiff wrote:
This was the reference and the link to the thread here at BGG:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/24090620#24090620

I'm mostly a Euro player and two of the guys in my group really like hex and counter wargames. The Euro games they tend to gravitate toward have conflict and area control. So with that in mind, you might give these a try:

Stabby Area Control Games:
El Grande
Kemet
Tammany Hall
Chaos in the Old World
Dominant Species
Shogun/Wallenstein
A Few Acres of Snow
Any of the COIN series

Other Euros worth considering:
Food Chain Magnate
Historia
Agricola (kind of dry, but a great pure Worker Placement title)
Keyflower
Mage Knight
Dominion

Other great games that are nothing like H&C Wargames:
Codenames
Tokaido
Telestrations
Cash n Guns

Yes, he's referring to GMT's COIN series. He is not, in that context, calling them euros, unless he is rather confused about several other games there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he sure had me confused. Of course that happens any time I wonder outside of the wargame world. Those Euro guys speak an entirely different language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Yes, he's referring to GMT's COIN series. He is not, in that context, calling them euros, unless he is rather confused about several other games there as well.

I agree he's talking about the GMT COIN series, but given the context (a direct explicit request for euro game recommendations by Tom the OP) and his list has many euros or quasi-euros, he does seem to be implicitly and confusingly calling COIN games "euros".

I'm guessing that he just started typing a lot of games he liked, and then in mid-comment he lost track of the fact that it was supposed to be "euros" specifically ... as often happens in recommendation threads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A COIN game is a helluva good time, is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
given the context (a direct explicit request for euro game recommendations ... the OP) and his list has many euros or quasi-euros, he does seem to be implicitly and confusingly calling COIN games "euros".

Exactly. Figured since it was a list of Euro's he must be describing Euros, and therefore what he was describing as a COIN game couldn't have been what we as wargamers know as COIN games and must be a different Euro animal. ..... Left me scratching my balding head and that's a bad thing, not much hair left up their to scratch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, there are some hardcore grognards/purists who insist that COIN games (which are indeed different from traditional hex and counter wargames) are clearly not wargames, and then because COIN games use colored wooden cubes they somehow must be euros... I do not subscribe to this theory, but it exists...

So maybe he really did think COIN games are euros. But most people who identify as exclusively euro players would certainly not recognize COIN games as euros, but would almost certainly think of them as complicated wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
Those Euro guys speak an entirely different language.

lssoru alfdjf aj aoroejfl gnncval.

otuya;t!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See! I can read French, but I never picked up Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Cundiff wrote:
See! I can read French, but I never picked up Euro.

Qu'est-ce qu'il dit, celui-là ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mi rekomendas lerni Esperanton; ĝi estas pli facila ol tiu lingvo de Lenny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
Mi rekomendas lerni Esperanton; ĝi estas pli facila ol tiu lingvo de Lenny.

Wow. I understood the first sentence entirely correctly, and that second one I got the general sense of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
To be fair, there are some hardcore grognards/purists who insist that COIN games (which are indeed different from traditional hex and counter wargames) are clearly not wargames, and then because COIN games use colored wooden cubes they somehow must be euros... I do not subscribe to this theory, but it exists...

So maybe he really did think COIN games are euros. But most people who identify as exclusively euro players would certainly not recognize COIN games as euros, but would almost certainly think of them as complicated wargames.

There are also people out there that don't think Smallworld is a wargame.... Ok, I'll let myself out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.