Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Not using the miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anybody play this not using the miniatures and instead just using the cardboard monster tokens.

I hate unpainted miniatures (and apparently the quality of miniatures in this game is poor anyway) and don't have the skill to paint them myself. I'm an Eldritch Horror player so I'm used to just having tokens representing the monsters anyway, so maybe this is the way to go? Does anybody else do this and do you feel you are losing something from the game by doing so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
This doesn't really answer your question, but you could get those FFG clear plastic stands (or any clear plastic stands) and have your cardboard tokens stand up for, perhaps, a little more immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Yep.
Don't mind the minis but hate the bases. Because I have 1st ed I didn't want to be conatantly swapping 1st and 2nd ed chips and having them get wrecked in those POS 2nd ed bases so I just ended up using the counters only.
One day I may rebase the minis and start using them again, but for that to happen I need a basing solution that I can easily take the monsters off so they can go back on the 1st ed bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use he cardboard monster bases and leave the monster minis in the box. If they were painted they might be worth the hassle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game I played, I just used the tokens. Worked very well. Till I get round to re-basing the minis, that's what I'll stick with; maybe I will stick with it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah, seems like there's more people using just the tokens than I thought. Maybe that's the way forward then, cool.

I'll still probably try and get the investigators painted then.

May look at getting smaller bases for the monsters but some of them look massive so god knows what size bases I would need for them.

Although it would have the added benefit of meaning all expansions would fit in the box no problem if I left out the minis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bases look terrible, and once the minis are assembled the game becomes a hassle to store and organize, so I've mostly just been using the tokens too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also switched to using just the tokens. It reminds me of Arkham Horror, which is a good thing. Very likely that I'm not going to bother with the minis again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mckay
United Kingdom
Westerham
Kent
flag msg tools
Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
mbmb
In which case does anybody want to part with their minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scharr
msg tools
I played Cult on Sentinel Hill this way, as I was just using the conversion kit and some printed-out tiles to play. Had pretty much the same feel as when I used the minis in other scenarios, but it played faster since I didn't have to sort through all my 1st/2nd edition minis to find the monsters.

I feel that as a solo gamer you don't really notice the minis all that much. It's cool for other players to look at when it's not your turn, but 90% of your interaction with monsters is via the app and there's no real interaction with them on the board except when you move them around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Oddly, the weakest part of this fantastic game seems to be those big ugly square bases.

One of the reasons I re-based all of my figures. Plays much better.

I can fully understand why some people would opt to use cardboard standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention that.
Before I got my game, I could not understand all of the fuss about the large bases. To me, it seemed like a lot of talk about nothing of consequence.
I had every intention of using those bases as they seemed functional.
I just got the game and finished painting the miniatures.
Then I put a few on the bases and tried to store them away.
Wow, now there's hardly any room for anything. And, OH!, they are so ugly when on the board! I immediately went online and ordered some clear round bases.
I've printed out one of the monster reference lists from the files section, so I can quickly see the "stats" for each monster.
Unlike a lot, I am quite pleased with the "quality" of the miniatures and I like the way they look on the board when playing the game, so I wish to continue using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Not using the miniatures
I also re-based my minis on clear plastic bases. Best decision ever! I also have no complaint with the mini quality, they really are fine, particularly when painted. Those bases though... awful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
new user
Looshkinx wrote:
In which case does anybody want to part with their minis?

This right here! I would love some extra minis. I'm going to try my hand at painting them and would love some to experiment on first. (It's been 20+ years since I painted a mini.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
That might actually be an interesting group trade to set up. some spare minis for some spare cash.

On a general note. The figure tokens are designed to allow use without the miniatures. I personally think that unpainted miniatures < tokens-only < painted miniatures. Which is probably why they built it in as an option. I intend to paint them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.