Clank!» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Making" Clank! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason V

Washington
msg tools
mb
I have a question about the mechanics of Swagger. The card states, "For each Clank! you make this turn, +1 skill". How does this work when used in conjunction with -Clank! cards? For example:

My hand contains:
- 2 Stumbles (+1 Clank!)
- Swagger (+1 skill for each Clank! made)
- Move Silently (-2 Clank!)
- <Something else not related to Clank!>

Did I "make" 2 Clank! or did I make 0 Clank!?

Additionally, if I play a card that causes other players to make Clank! (like Tattle), that doesn't count for Swagger, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
TX
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
lagezz wrote:
I have a question about the mechanics of Swagger. The card states, "For each Clank! you make this turn, +1 skill". How does this work when used in conjunction with -Clank! cards? For example:

My hand contains:
- 2 Stumbles (+1 Clank!)
- Swagger (+1 skill for each Clank! made)
- Move Silently (-2 Clank!)
- <Something else not related to Clank!>

Did I "make" 2 Clank! or did I make 0 Clank!?

Additionally, if I play a card that causes other players to make Clank! (like Tattle), that doesn't count for Swagger, correct?

You made two clank. I would give you two skill.
A question for the designer to answer definitively.

Edit: I presume Tattle is outside the intent of Swagger. But I understand the argument that you "made" that clank by forcing others to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you made 0 clank, so 0 skill gained

And none for Tattle, thats a bit cheeky ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dennen
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
In your scenario, you made 2 clank, so you get 2 skill even though you played the -2 clank card.

Correct, you don't get credit for the clank other players make when you Tattle on them.

Also note that Swagger looks backward and forward, so after you play Swagger, if you buy a gem, you immediately get 2 more skill from the 2 clank you make for buying the gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to see Clank as a net figure, so +1+1-2=0 is the amount of Clank you produced. It's not explicit in the rulebook, but it does talk about having negative Clank, rather than just removing Clank, so I think that's the way to view it.

So, that's two votes each way so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagpuss42 wrote:
I'm inclined to see Clank as a net figure, so +1+1-2=0 is the amount of Clank you produced. It's not explicit in the rulebook, but it does talk about having negative Clank, rather than just removing Clank, so I think that's the way to view it.

I'm pretty sure that Paul Dennen's (the designer's) input overrides ours. However, I do think the rules are not very clear. How do you "make" Clank if your total sum is 0? What if you play the negative Clank card first and then the positive Clank card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4tonio wrote:
Bagpuss42 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Paul Dennen's (the designer's) input overrides ours.

Okay, I'll let him be the tie-breaker.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul, and let me just say that the rule book was generally very clear. It's just not possible to predict all the ways in which we fools will misinterpret things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you can play the cards in your hand one at a time, or all together...so in this instance you would want to play the 2 stumbles (put in the two clank) then play swagger to get the 2 skill...then play Move Silently to remove the two clank you put in. Then you could use any move, sword, and skill on the group of cards played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dennen
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Sorry that the rule book was not clear on this one. Maybe we should put a FAQ up.

As for the question of how you "make" clank if you end up at 0, how does a bakery make any cupcakes if at the end of the day, they sold out and everyone ate all the cupcakes?

The intent of the card and we think the best gameplay and balance is every time you play a +1 clank and have a cube to push into the clank pool, you made a clank. This provides an answer to the technical edge case that wasn't asked about, which is "what if you run out of cubes when you have Swagger? Do you 'make' clank if you can't put a cube into the pool?" The answer is no, so a super clanky Swagger strategy can eventually run out of steam.

We also generally don't want players to have to worry *too much* about the order of playing their cards, which is why this and rebels and so on look forwards and backwards for bonus effects. The game does present some sequencing challenges sometimes, in particular with movement, but we felt that card sequencing pressure isn't particularly fun when it happens a lot. (Even there, there are exceptions. Sequencing is important and fun with discard mechanics.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.