Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro
Most game reviews seem to focus on the things the reviewer really likes, or really dislikes. Often, I want to read a review that tells me the potential deal breakers that are not masked by bias.

"The Worst Of It" reviews look at the worst parts of games I enjoy and how it impacts my enjoyment of it. I am not trying to balance the good with what can be improved, but want to give others a critical (and hopefully fun) look at what may be a deal breaker for them.

Shogun is a 2 player abstract game where the moves each piece can make change each turn based on the individual piece dials moving with the board magnetics.

#Plays - 5

Components - The Worst Of It
1. Pieces are not very interesting, except for the fact that the dials spin automatically.
- Impact - Not a big deal since this is an abstract, almost derivative of chess. I find the pieces functional, but not very attractive.

Rules - The Worst Of It
1. The rules almost makes you think it is a kids game.
- Impact - The first time you play, you may think the game is pretty shallow.

Gameplay - The Worst Of It
1. The arbitrary way the numbers change on the dials make you think you have no chance at a strategy.
- Impact - Most people like to plan multiple moves ahead in an abstract. This game is not about that, but seems like it should be. As a result, it forces a different type of strategy. One of less targeted attacks.

2. Lucky magnet placement can give random advantages each turn.
- Impact - As your opponent gets a surprise "4" on a move, you may feel helpless for the next turn. This seems to be part of the point of the game. If you expect this type of thing, then you will not feel so helpless. It will just force you to think differently from other abstracts.

Other Comments
I picked this up for about $1 at a thrift store. It is not my favorite, but I am glad I picked it up. I can teach a different way of thinking to my kids with this one. I find the game is really about dealing with uncertainty and mitigating risk by managing what is in your control since you really cannot trap or manipulate your opponent into making certain moves.

See my other "Worst Of It" reviews here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211522/worst-it-reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
... I find the game is really about dealing with uncertainty and mitigating risk by managing what is in your control since you really cannot trap or manipulate your opponent into making certain moves.

In other words, Shogun is an abstract simulation of real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! In fact, when my job was going through a big period of lay offs and reorganization a while ago, there was a lot of uncertainty. Many people felt like they could not control anything. I played this game one night and it helped me realize that I can only control what I can control. I can only plan for what I know. It helped me feel better realizing that I do have some control (over me and my actions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
The world would be a better place if everybody would adapt such a stance. On all levels that is.

Anyway, I think I should bring my old copy to the table now that my sons are old enough to appreciate the big life lessons. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.