24.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Christopher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably 10 years ago or more I read somewhere (probably on BGG) about a vast, sprawling game of real politics, economics, and international relations. Pictures of the game were incredible and in my memory it was a huge, detailed, (3D?) map board of the globe. It reminded me of the Cones of Dunshire from Parks and Rec. The game was never published, but was used in classrooms to teach international relations. Does this ring a bell for anyone? (I did say vague clues...) I have dug through all my old thumbs on BGG and can't seem to find a mention of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tupelo bound wrote:
Probably 10 years ago or more I read somewhere (probably on BGG) about a vast, sprawling game of real politics, economics, and international relations. Pictures of the game were incredible and in my memory it was a huge, detailed, (3D?) map board of the globe. It reminded me of the Cones of Dunshire from Parks and Rec. The game was never published, but was used in classrooms to teach international relations. Does this ring a bell for anyone? (I did say vague clues...) I have dug through all my old thumbs on BGG and can't seem to find a mention of it.

I seem to remember a discussion back then about doing an elaborate board game version of the old computer game Balance of Power. Is that what you're thinking about by any chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't seem to be quite it. Maybe it did inspire the game I am thinking of though. The description seems similar. I just can't get these images of this giant board and all these pieces out of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does ring a bell, and I suspect that there was a thread on BGG that linked to some kind of news article about it. Probably more recent than 10 years ago, though - maybe closer to 4 or 5? Unfortunately, I can't remember any more than that, and don't think I interacted with the thread so I won't be able to look through my contributions for it. And even worse, I have a lingering suspicion that the article mentions that it doesn't have a name.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely board, as in physical pieces?

Can you describe the globe and 3d-ness of the board/globe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having no name sounds vaguely familiar to me. Also I seem to remember some discussion about refusing to sell copies of the game. Does that sound familiar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my memory (and this is bordering on just making things up) it seems there were lots of oversized pieces and a kind of multi-tiered level of play with a military and a market (not physically multi-tiered though). Beyond that it's just a fuzzy memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
It wasn't up on Kickstarter, was it?

The only thing that comes to mind is this gargantuan war game that seemed far beyond the capabilities of anyone to produce.

I've tried searching the forums and Kickstarter, but haven't uncovered anything yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, it wasn't on Kickstarter. It was someone's homemade one-off game that they used for teaching. Thanks anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Was it John Hunter's World Peace Game?

The TED Talk

The game's website
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
!!!

I knew if I turned to BGG that someone would know what I was talking about! Thank you so much. And there is the multi-level board that I thought I remembered (but didn't really get right in my description). Thanks again to everybody who responded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.