Hide
8 Posts

Mousquetaires du Roy» Forums » General

Subject: Co-op mode questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MD Slope
msg tools
1. Rules say you can have only 1 trap per mission. My understanding is there are 2 missions at a time--one in Paris and one at the Louvre, each of which can have 1 trap. So you could have 2 traps on the board at one time. Correct?

2. Athos never has an encounter with Rochefort. In co-op mode, Milady's location is revealed at the beginning of the round. So you always know where she is. So it seems obvious that Athos would go there every single time to avoid the duel with Rochefort. This essentially puts Rochefort out of play the entire game. What am I missing here?

3. Again in co-op mode, you randomly draw a Paris card and match it's strength with adversary and trap cards. If the Musketeers complete that mission they draw another card at the beginning of the next turn. My question is, do those advesary/trap cards that you may not have conquered from the first mission card--do they remain or do they get removed along with the mission card you completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Rules say you can have only 1 trap per mission. My understanding is there are 2 missions at a time--one in Paris and one at the Louvre, each of which can have 1 trap. So you could have 2 traps on the board at one time. Correct?

Yes.

Quote:
2. Athos never has an encounter with Rochefort. In co-op mode, Milady's location is revealed at the beginning of the round. So you always know where she is. So it seems obvious that Athos would go there every single time to avoid the duel with Rochefort. This essentially puts Rochefort out of play the entire game. What am I missing here?

a) That movement is not free, and Athos might have more important things to do than to take advantage of his specialty.
b) That Athos does not neutralize Rochefort, i. e. he does not prevent Rochefort from attacking other musketeers.

Quote:
3. Again in co-op mode, you randomly draw a Paris card and match it's strength with adversary and trap cards. If the Musketeers complete that mission they draw another card at the beginning of the next turn. My question is, do those advesary/trap cards that you may not have conquered from the first mission card--do they remain or do they get removed along with the mission card you completed?

You got that wrong. The Paris card is only replaced if the mission is solved – but the mission includes any adversaries (and sometimes also a trap) in addition to the task given on the card. When you solved the task on the card you just mark the card with a "resolved" marker, you do not replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Slope
msg tools
Quote:
b) That Athos does not neutralize Rochefort, i. e. he does not prevent Rochefort from attacking other musketeers.

I'm still confused on this. In co-op mode, if the other musketeers choose not to go to where Milady revealed herself at the beginning of the round, how is Rochefort ever going to attack them? Just decide up front that Athos will always go where Milady is revealed and no one else go there and Rochefort is not a factor in the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carwax wrote:
…if the other musketeers choose not to go to where Milady revealed herself at the beginning of the round, how is Rochefort ever going to attack them?

He isn't. But you are probably not going to win, either: Each musketeer has 3 actions, and each has a specialty he will probably be needed for. If you use 1 action per turn to move away from Milady/Rochefort you are never going to solve the problems in Paris or in the Louvre. And you are not going to solve the main quest in time, either. This is a race against time, and moving around just to avoid Rochefort is going to make your task very difficult.
You can alleviate the problem somewhat by equipping your best fighters with horses to save movement actions. Unfortunately, that is expensive and to the detriment of their fighting equipment, as you are limited to 2 equipment tokens.

Summary: You can evade Rochefoort, but that does not solve your problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Slope
msg tools
Fritz--thank you for your excellent responses thus far. Very much appreciated. I have two more.

1. If a musketeer is in a location with Milady and fights Rochefort but does not wound him, during the next round, does Milady stay in that same location or does she randomly pick again?

2. I now understand, according to your earlier response, that a mission in Paris includes the Paris card and adversary and trap cards assigned to Paris. You do not complete the mission until all the challenges on each of the 2 or 3 cards are complete. However, under the co-op rules of the manual, it says for Paris:

"Draw one Paris card at random at the start of the game. If the Musketeers complete this card, draw another card at random at the beginning of the next turn."

This seems to contradict your response that you don't change that Paris card until the Paris card, and associated adversaries and traps are complete. The rules say change "this" (single) card when it is complete. Tell me where my understanding is messed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Fritz--thank you for your excellent responses thus far.

This Fritz is called Lutz. Otherwise you're welcome, though I confess I prefer to know to whom I speak rather than answering the questions of some anonymous entity.

Quote:
1. If a musketeer is in a location with Milady and fights Rochefort but does not wound him, during the next round, does Milady stay in that same location or does she randomly pick again?

Phase 1 is not bound to any condition. Meaning that she decides in each round anew.

Quote:
"Draw one Paris card at random at the start of the game. If the Musketeers complete this card, draw another card at random at the beginning of the next turn."

That is why I recommended to use the Wade Nelson re-write of the rules. The original rulebooks are bad, really bad (in French slightly less than in English and German).

Quote:
Tell me where my understanding is messed up.

Did you mean "please tell me"? Of course: Your understanding is based on rules that are messed up, i. e. not precise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Slope
msg tools
Yes, I meant Lutz. Please forgive me.

I wish to remain anonymous for personal reasons but I appreciate you responding nevertheless to this anonymous entity.

I am now reading the Wade Nelson re-write. Thank you for that recommendation. I regret not reading it before asking my questions.

Yes, I forgot the "Please" and hope you will forgive this faux pas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carwax wrote:
Please forgive me.

Done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.