10 Posts

The Others» Forums » General

Subject: Seven Deadly Paint-Ups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
Figured I'd throw my hat into the painting race as well... Hell, half the reason I bought the core game (and the 5 sin expansions) was for the models!

I'm gonna use this thread as a log of my painting progress... seeing as I just got the game a 1-2 weeks ago, I've got a long way to go. So I'll be updating with pics as I finish them in clusters.

I'm trying to keep close to source artwork and/or the CMON paint-ups, whichever I like more. So here we go...

Pride Abominations:

Pride Controller:

I'm trying to teach myself to push for more contrast than I typically go for, since my normal style is pretty desaturated and "natural" looking as well.

I know the source art has the Avatar a little more yellow, but I wanted to use the same colors for the abominations for unity.

Originally, I was planning on painting all the bad guys first (core game only to start), but I really wanna paint Karl... so I think I'm moving onto Heroes next, heh. We'll see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Very excellent. I'm assuming this is airbrushed, correct? If not how do you do the blending so well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
For these I prime in airbrush (black/grey/white), but for the most part, these models' details are too small for an airbrush to be of any real use. For blending, I "feather" out my paint. Some people call it "two-brush blending" (because you're painting with one brush while using a damp brush to blend).

So you can lay down some paint and before it dries, rinse out your brush or grab another brush that's damp (dipped in water, quick wipe on paper towel) and lightly brush away the edge of the still-wet paint.

Try it out on a test model or prime a piece of plasticard and do some tests. I've found for larger areas (like Avatar's muscle masses), this works well and gets me a pretty smooth blend pretty fast... but for smaller areas (abominations for example), I still stick to pretty diluted paint (1/1 to 3/1 water-to-paint ratio) and just glaze in my colors (keep in mind where your brush leaves the model is where most paint will end up)... drag your color from where you want the blend to start to where you want your color to be strongest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kill ape
msg tools
Looke really good. I like the contoller very much. Nice skills. i am gonna paint mine as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent! I aim at painting most of my KS (I rarely do so) but I'm sure mine will be faaaar from this quality XD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
Alpha Team (I'll update this post with progress...):

Karl(s):

The mark on his chest is supposedly a scar, but with his necklace it was too hard to see, so I changed it to a tattoo. Also, my first attempt at glowing eyes for the werewolf... It's fun and from a distance, looks pretty dang good. I definitely wanna do more lighting effects in the future and get better at it too. =)

Rose:

Black is really difficult to paint... and this was the first time I tried painting different materials in black, as in dress vs. belt/straps.

Thorley:

He turned out a little bluer than I originally wanted (my demon ginger smurf!), but it's not bothering me THAT much. Lessons learned, though. I also figured he's the type who would wear leather pants, so I tried to paint his black pants (black is REALLY hard for me...) to look like leather.

Morgana:

Tried making her dress look like red velvet... still not quite there, but I like keeping in mind the kind of material to paint. Also, the source art has her eyes open, but the sculpt (at least the way mine looked) seemed like she was closing her eyes... no eye-lids in the sculpt and her eyes would seem like they were bulging. So it was just another chance to try my hand at eye-shadow, Rose being my first attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
Added Rose to the Alpha Team post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Turner
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow - these are all amazing paint jobs.

Like you, I originally backed the Kickstarter just because the models looked amazing (and I was just getting back into painting after a 15+ year break). As it turns out, I quite like the game, which is a nice side-benefit. But I'm very slowly making progress with the painting, trying to practice new techniques that I haven't used before - glazing is the big one that's made a huge difference for me, and also making sure I use thinner paints.

I'm working on the Pride Avatar right now, so your pic is being referred to quite a bit at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing the rest as they get finished!

Stu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
stuartgturner wrote:
Wow - these are all amazing paint jobs.

Like you, I originally backed the Kickstarter just because the models looked amazing (and I was just getting back into painting after a 15+ year break). As it turns out, I quite like the game, which is a nice side-benefit. But I'm very slowly making progress with the painting, trying to practice new techniques that I haven't used before - glazing is the big one that's made a huge difference for me, and also making sure I use thinner paints.

I'm working on the Pride Avatar right now, so your pic is being referred to quite a bit at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing the rest as they get finished!

Stu

I'm in the same boat! Until about a year ago, I didn't really paint minis for 20 years or so (I used to be obsessed with it... more so now, heh). I did the odd mini for D&D maybe a few years back, but take it much more seriously now... honestly, strong/exaggerated contrast is new to me, The Others being the first time I've tried it. Played two games of it this past week and the contrast really kicks it up on the table.

Even now I look at my Pride Avatar and see that I should have kicked up more contrast, but it's sealed now so it's too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmb
Added Thorley and Morgana to the Alpha Team post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.