United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Is shipping for your basic Kickstarter Souls Pledge, to the USA, listed as $30 too? Or am I special?

£24.00 ~ $30.00 USD

I know they said shipping was going to be a bit more then estimated, but considering the original estimate was "USA: £7-£11 to most states", £24 is more than double the original estimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
£30 (US$37) for domestic delivery in Australia, for a single core box, even though they claim to be covering the cost of shipping from China to the Aussie hub themselves. Right.

Parcel would cost about $15 (~US$11) for the domestic leg via Australia Post. Perhaps they gold-plated the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Mark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yes, it's that much. It's kind of crazy. They're also splitting shipping up. The core game box will be March 2017. Then all stretch goals and additional add on's will ship October 2017!

I emailed support asking for a refund for my additional items (I went all out...everything). They want to ship it 7 months later...when everything should be out in retail. Not sure if I'll even be able to get one. I don't want to eat Kickstarter and processing fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiloforce wrote:
Wow! Is shipping for your basic Kickstarter Souls Pledge, to the USA, listed as $30 too? Or am I special?

£24.00 ~ $30.00 USD

I know they said shipping was going to be a bit more then estimated, but considering the original estimate was "USA: £7-£11 to most states", £24 is more than double the original estimate.

Shipping is more expensive and, more importantly, they are doubling the number of shipments.

gla55jaw wrote:
I emailed support asking for a refund for my additional items (I went all out...everything). They want to ship it 7 months later...when everything should be out in retail. Not sure if I'll even be able to get one. I don't want to eat Kickstarter and processing fees.

Plus you lose more money on the exchange rate due to the British pound dropping in value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are doubling the shipments because they are behind schedule, and I speculate that they need the core box rushed to shops for retail sales. They must do this before the hype surrounding DS3 and the DLC fades.

Shipping in two waves is no favour to backers, contrary to the SFG spin. And claiming that the second shipment is free is rubbish; they are clearly double or triple charging wave 1 shipping to mitigate the cost of the "free" wave 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Geoff wrote:
They are doubling the shipments because they are behind schedule, and I speculate that they need the core box rushed to shops for retail sales. They must do this before the hype surrounding DS3 and the DLC fades.

Shipping in two waves is no favour to backers, contrary to the SFG spin. And claiming that the second shipment is free is rubbish; they are clearly double or triple charging wave 1 shipping to mitigate the cost of the "free" wave 2.

Not meant to offend anyone, but you need to read the update carefully.

[...due to the way we plan to split the shipment we are able to offer backers FREE shipping for all Add-On purchased (or selected) during the Pledge Manager.]

This doesn't meant the second wave of shipment is free. We're paying for two shipments in order to get everything. This statement means that since we already paid for the second shipment, any additional add ons you purchased will not incur additional shipping cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
gla55jaw wrote:
Yes, it's that much. It's kind of crazy. They're also splitting shipping up. The core game box will be March 2017. Then all stretch goals and additional add on's will ship October 2017!

this won't help lowering your shipping cost, they need two shipping waves just to send stretch goals and the core games. if you skip on wave 2, you lose your stretch goals, even if you canceled add-ons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
They're even charging £20 shipping to the UK. I could go to Steamforged HQ and collect in person for less than that after taking into account fuel for the car.

I was only in for £1 on this before, very unlikely to be upgrading that now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
They are splitting the shipments because it isn't possible for the factories in China to produce everything by April 2017, due to a month-long break for Chinese New Year in February, and due to all the additional Add On people purchased. Splitting the production allows them to produce the Core Game first (for both backers and retail), thus freeing up some time to produce all six expansions and all the add ons for backers. Delivering the Core Game in October isn't possible either as they have no way of storing 4 million copies.

To be honest, those that purchased add ons gets the better end of the deal here, as their shipment isn't more expensive than those that didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
phoenixandy wrote:
They're even charging £20 shipping to the UK. I could go to Steamforged HQ and collect in person for less than that after taking into account fuel for the car.

That would apply if you live in China, as the game is produced there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Misfiring wrote:
To be honest, those that purchased add ons gets the better end of the deal here, as their shipment isn't more expensive than those that didn't.

Weren't the add-ons supposed to be delivered with everything else on the original schedule so everyone's losing here equally?

What I don't understand is that they spend so much time on insisting they've counted in the possible delays in their schedule and will deliver on time and now the Chinese New Year somehow messed everything up so badly that they had to delay add-ons and stretch goals half a year. They must have known for months that they're five months behind the schedule. They just decided not to tell the customers about it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misfiring wrote:
phoenixandy wrote:

That would apply if you live in China, as the game is produced there.

Actually, no. They stated that THEY would cover the costs for shipping from China to their hubs. So the only thing he is supposedly paying for now is shipping from a UK address to another UK address.

gla55jaw wrote:
They want to ship it 7 months later...when everything should be out in retail. Not sure if I'll even be able to get one. I don't want to eat Kickstarter and processing fees.

They stated in the comments yesterday that backers would get it before it hits retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just paid $50 to ship something FedEx Ground the other day, I saw the shipping cost for everything I'm getting and was pleasantly surprised. Funny how people's expectations can do completely change a situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Alabama
msg tools
I wish they would give us a weight for the core box. I understand that the second shipment is "free" because we are paying up front and that is fine. The second shipment with all the SGS + addons should be heavier than the core box if i am looking at it right.

I don't think it is a completely unreasonable number for the US. If i was in the UK i'd probably be trying to drive to their hq for my copy heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
InkSplat wrote:
Having just paid $50 to ship something FedEx Ground the other day, I saw the shipping cost for everything I'm getting and was pleasantly surprised. Funny how people's expectations can do completely change a situation.

You know they're not paying the same price for the shipping as you do for one shipment, right? They're sending thousands of packages and have different prices.

The actual shipping cost didn't even change that much, they amount of shipments did and people are just misinterpreting the info.

It seems they've just fallen behind the schedule and couldn't manufacture everything before the Chinese New Year (according to someone working on the project and is commenting on the KS page). Since they've pushed the second delivery 7 months, they've roughly 5 months behind their original schedule which is as much as with Arcadia Quest Inferno.

Tahona wrote:
The second shipment with all the SGS + addons should be heavier than the core box if i am looking at it right.

It might be. It's easier for them to use fixed shipping costs as some people will get more add-ons than other and it would be really challenging to charge per shipping size. Everyone is getting the stretch goals anyways and they alone can take quite a big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
masaiko wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

You know they're not paying the same price for the shipping as you do for one shipment, right? They're sending thousands of packages and have different prices.

The actual shipping cost didn't even change that much, they amount of shipments did and people are just misinterpreting the info.

It seems they've just fallen behind the schedule and couldn't manufacture everything before the Chinese New Year (according to someone working on the project and is commenting on the KS page). Since they've pushed the second delivery 7 months, they've roughly 5 months behind their original schedule which is as much as with Arcadia Quest Inferno.

Tahona wrote:
The second shipment with all the SGS + addons should be heavier than the core box if i am looking at it right.

It might be. It's easier for them to use fixed shipping costs as some people will get more add-ons than other and it would be really challenging to charge per shipping size. Everyone is getting the stretch goals anyways and they alone can take quite a big box.

Yes, I understand that. But I also understand I'll be getting boxes roughly 3x+ the size (if we combined wave 1 and 2) of what I shipped for just over half the price. I call that a good deal, personally. I mean, hell, Wave 1.5 of Shadows of Brimstone was $50 all by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:

I paid $65 shipping for 6 20 pound boxes from CMON sent through fedex ground. The shipping for this game is highway robbery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
And they were SOOOO insistent they could make the shipping date they had set. This delay isn't surprising, but it being Oct 2017 (without any more delays) is a pretty drastic difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Also real quick, one thing to keep in mind here folks is that Steamforged is still somewhat new, and mass distribution does cost quit a pretty penny. For more established companies they are able to negotiate shipping prices down, where as SFG may not be able to. This may not be the case but just something to keep in mind. I do think it's extremely dumb that they didn't take this shipping into account before pumping out so many items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Boivin
msg tools
mbmbmb
This guy https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/273370317 from Ludo Fact (the company that produce the mini) have some comments/explanations about the shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brufio11 wrote:
This guy https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/273370317 from Ludo Fact (the company that produce the mini) have some comments/explanations about the shipping

Interesting. From his comments, only some sculpts are done and a lot of things (like box sizes) still haven't been decided on. That explains the October 2017 date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
InkSplat wrote:
Yes, I understand that. But I also understand I'll be getting boxes roughly 3x+ the size (if we combined wave 1 and 2) of what I shipped for just over half the price. I call that a good deal, personally. I mean, hell, Wave 1.5 of Shadows of Brimstone was $50 all by itself.

To be honest, I don't get the raging over the shipping cost either. Their biggest mistake was the communication, but the shipping costs are pretty normal when looking at the per shipment price which, in my case, is lower than the estimate (original £25, new £20 per shipment). Arcadia Quest: Inferno had $40 shipping to Finland but it's only a single shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gauthier D.
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
30$ for shipping a KS boardgame is normal.
Shadows of Brimstone 1.5 wave was 120$ to the EU!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Ultimately this is an area that just about all (newer) companies on kickstarters fall short in. Shipping is a major part of any retailer, and can easily be overlooked or underestimated. Newer companies, or those creating new (in this case larger) products don't have the experience to be able to calculate proper shipping estimates. I remember them complaining they were having trouble getting shipping quotes in the US because they don't have the exact measurements and weights of the products yet. I can only talk about the US (not sure about the rest of the world) but we do have some wonky ways of calculating shipping costs with major carriers (UPS and Fedex).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, this is about sending 2 shipments instead of 1 shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.