Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
After receiving Inis in the mail today, I convinced 3 non-boardgamer friends to try it out. Playtime for 4 players took about 1 hour and 30 minutes, this included the rules explanation and slowly going through our first season. By the end, each player was eager to play again (I even convinced one to play a two-player game immediately after)

I could tell that things started to click as the possibilities for the game opened up for each player in the third season. Friends were starting to stack cards in a smart ways while we all fought for a victory condition. The game ended when one player snuck his way into 6 territories and then proceeded to grab the pretender of the throne token on his following turn. We loved how the game played out and how each player took a different route to win. (We even had a member purposely lose his last clan so that he could place two during the next season phase)

All in all, this game is amazing. Playing 1v1 also made me feel as we were playing chess with hidden surprises around each corner. Can not wait to play again! Please ask any questions, it is late for me and this post maybe lacking some detail. I would love to answer anything relating to the game or the session that was had!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm very keen to play this. One question, since you asked. I've read the rules and feel that I understand how the game plays out but wondered one thing: do players tend to pass quite often with the idea that they will delay playing their cards for a round forcing others have "shown their hand" and strategy first, obviously risking all other players subsequently passing and ending the round, or is that not a common action that people take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Holly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'd like to know the above as well.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm doing my first play with three friends tomorrow night. I'm worried about what others have said concerning the game dragging on as people constantly beat up on whoever takes the pretender token. Any advice for first sessions regarding helping the players strategize towards victory rather than just plink away at a single objective?

Also, how did you clashes go? What was the usual approach, in terms of making war vs. making peace, and losing clans vs. losing cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
StupidGabe wrote:
I'm very keen to play this. One question, since you asked. I've read the rules and feel that I understand how the game plays out but wondered one thing: do players tend to pass quite often with the idea that they will delay playing their cards for a round forcing others have "shown their hand" and strategy first, obviously risking all other players subsequently passing and ending the round, or is that not a common action that people take?

I noticed people tended to pass when they felt a clash coming. They knew they were going to be attacked and did not want to loss a clan and be caught with no cards. Some simply because the cards drafted were more reactionary/timing event then an action on your turn.

Passing is strategic and can be used powerfully!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How easy to pick up was it for your non-board-gamer friends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
How easy to pick up was it for your non-board-gamer friends?

Rules plus game time was about 1 hour 45 minutes. If we played again I am sure it would only last an hour. After the second season we had the hang of the game and no one needed to ask any more questions!

I did about 5-7 hours of prep over the week, read the rule book front-to-back twice. Watched SU&SD review and reviewed most of the rule questions in the forum. This way we were not digging into the book every turn to figure out what to do. I would recommenced prepping this way if you are playing with non-board-gamer friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerm Stewart
msg tools
I could be wrong but, if you lose your last clans you don't need to wait until the next season to place 2 more. You can place 2 clans on your next turn in the rotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
only if you have a deed token iirc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerm Stewart
msg tools
If you have deed tokens you must discarded one. You still get two clans even if you had no deeds to discard. You don't need to wait for the next season as long as you still have cards to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.