Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berlin was not a medieval town. It was just a bog. Centrally located Frankfurt would have been more appropriate, although the Holy Roman Empire did not have a single capital.

Burgos was the capital of Castilla, not Madrid. Madrid was not much in the Middle Ages.

Lombardy, site of the Renaissance of the 14th century, was an important region in the Middle Ages. It deserved a city.

Lorraine was of some importance, worth a city.

Cordoba, capital of Moorish Spain, was more important than Bejaia, Algeria.

I know, it's a game not a history lesson. But some respect for the history would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with my fellow Texan, Mr. Griffey. This game could've been so thematically complete with just a little historical research. Hasbro developers could've found such info in mere minutes on-line. I'm turning 60 on Veterans Day, and world history was well covered in my school days. I'm guessing the developers are 20 to 30 years younger and reflect their educational system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
I agree with my fellow Texan, Mr. Griffey. This game could've been so thematically complete with just a little historical research. Hasbro developers could've found such info in mere minutes on-line. I'm turning 60 on Veterans Day, and world history was well covered in my school days. I'm guessing the developers are 20 to 30 years younger and reflect their educational system.

I do not disagree with the OP, but I'm not ready to blame the developers or designers for this. I have a feeling (hope?) that they knew very well the history here and were simply overruled by some corporate product managers concerns for "marketability" and customer ease of use.

I have a feeling the conversation went something like this: Hey, we really like the game but what are these cities you have on the map? Lombardy, Castilla? Are those real places? How about we put some places on there that our customers will recognize, say Berlin and Madrid?

Designer reply: Um, okay, whatever it takes to get this thing published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're worried about historical accuracy, Risk games are not your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.