$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 105.26

6,583 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Getting into it finally rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lordson Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried this years ago and thought was pretty good but couldn't commit due to other games.

But as i grew up and friends gotten married and having babies, I find myself needing a solo game, and maybe a game to play with my mother.

I'm getting two core+first cycle+ khazad dum. Is that a good place to start?

Has anyone played with their non gamer parents before?

I would probably delve into Arkham horror lcg with my mom if LOTR lcg is too much for her.

Anyway, solo gaming route, here i come!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a grest place to start and keep you busy for a long time.

Check The Back to Basics threads for making 2 killer decks using the core sets. They work great. I used them with my son. There is also s thread for a single deck list.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/22535496
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiden00 wrote:
I'm getting two core+first cycle+ khazad dum. Is that a good place to start?
yes

Quote:
Has anyone played with their non gamer parents before?
no, but this is not a light game. i suggest at minimum you construct the decsk for them (i also suggest simply using the 29 card + gandalf 'core' decks)

Quote:
I would probably delve into Arkham horror lcg with my mom if LOTR lcg is too much for her.
the theme is definitely different, but i think they will have similar weights as far as mechanics go (but i don't know for sure as i haven't played it yet)

Quote:
Anyway, solo gaming route, here i come!
welcome!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Love
msg tools
CPBelt wrote:
It's a grest place to start and keep you busy for a long time.

Check The Back to Basics threads for making 2 killer decks using the core sets. They work great. I used them with my son. There is also s thread for a single deck list.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/22535496


These can be mix and matched with some success too. My wife really wanted to play Leadership/Tactics (Aragon and Legolas basically); so I built a Lore/Spirit deck. We have completed the three scenarios that come with the base game and are looking for expansions now. We only lost once on the third scenario because the top of the encounter deck was brutal. Treachery where we gained threat, + Ungliant's Spawn + Orc Chieftan (the one that gets bigger each attack) and we just couldnt handle all of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordson Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I supposed going through it chronologically is the best way to experience the game, but I would really like to play this with someone though, also probably won't sleeve, just too much to sleeve, take out decks and put back decks etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiden00 wrote:
also probably won't sleeve, just too much to sleeve, take out decks and put back decks etc.


I had the same problem considering sleeving up this game.

I have chosen to use penny sleeves on everything for this game when I purchase stuff. While penny sleeves are a little too large, they work OK considering how many cards you could build up in a collection. The penny sleeves do allow for easier mash shuffling, and does keep your cards nice. Makes it easier to thumb through stacks of cards as you tweak / build decks as well. I like some of the custom sleeve artwork thats available, however, I think it would be too much of a pain to physically remove and replace cards into the themed sleeves each time you redo or change scenarios.

Now that I think about it, I would have preferred using perfect fit sleeves for these cards. They would have made for a cleaner experience, but I am so far into the game at this point, I think I will stick with the ultra pro penny sleeves I have been using.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordson Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game sleeved via trading, it's good cause here people mostly buys swan panasia sleeves, it's serviceable.

But now thinking have to sleeve the entire collection of it can be a pain, and wallet burning.

The alternative is just buy a good set of sleeves for player decks, and take more time unsleeving and sleeving in between games
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiden00 wrote:
Got the game sleeved via trading, it's good cause here people mostly buys swan panasia sleeves, it's serviceable.

But now thinking have to sleeve the entire collection of it can be a pain, and wallet burning.

The alternative is just buy a good set of sleeves for player decks, and take more time unsleeving and sleeving in between games
i keep all my encounter cards sleeves and only sleeve up my current player card decks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Anathem
msg tools
Welcome back to the game!

I received nearly the same cards as you did as my first foray into the game (2 cores, shadows of mirkwood, KD, but also Dwarrowdelf). My best advice would be to go progression style for a little while. Although you may struggle with Escape from Dol Guldur, restricting your own card pool allows you to grow as a deck builder without being overwhelmed.

My set came sleeved, so I kept up the tradition. I sleeve everything with KMC perfect size, which can be had for $25 for 1,000 sleeves on Amazon and fit great. I highly recommend sleeving, even though I have quite a few sleeved player cards I have never used.

Finally, I would advise you learn this game playing one deck solo, then when you get the basics down, try two handed. This way you can experience ranged, sentinel, and experience more synergies in both player cards and the encounter deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordson Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
i keep all my encounter cards sleeves and only sleeve up my current player card decks


Yea thinking of doing the same, but since i am taking it slow, or if i can get one friend to join me consistently, will consider sleeving everything with the extra help!



Secretsofthesky wrote:
Welcome back to the game!

I received nearly the same cards as you did as my first foray into the game (2 cores, shadows of mirkwood, KD, but also Dwarrowdelf). My best advice would be to go progression style for a little while. Although you may struggle with Escape from Dol Guldur, restricting your own card pool allows you to grow as a deck builder without being overwhelmed.

My set came sleeved, so I kept up the tradition. I sleeve everything with KMC perfect size, which can be had for $25 for 1,000 sleeves on Amazon and fit great. I highly recommend sleeving, even though I have quite a few sleeved player cards I have never used.

Finally, I would advise you learn this game playing one deck solo, then when you get the basics down, try two handed. This way you can experience ranged, sentinel, and experience more synergies in both player cards and the encounter deck.


Yup, been playing the first scenario with all the preconstructed decks, very cool, now just have to play progressively and build decks, will worry about getting the cycles later.

Love this game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.