12 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card: Caretaker Contract rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Card says Action: Spend 8 heat to increase your terraform rating 1 step.

Requirement: 0 degrees C.

Question

If I can perform this action normally. Why do I need this card.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petho22 wrote:

Question

Cheers

If you mean that you can spend 8 heat to increase temperature and so increase TR, then you don't need the card, but when temp is maximum you can no longer use heat to increase TR and that is when the card is useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Oops. I think I found my answer. I assumed this action work similar to a standard project because of the way it is set out in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
petho22 wrote:

Question

Cheers

This card is not increasing the temperature, it's only increasing your TR. Therefore, this is a great card if temperature has maxed out already and you have heat resources that you cannot use anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Price
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you normally do it you also get to raise your Temp as well. Toward the end of the game the temp may be maxed out and with this card you can still raise your TR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Ahhh. So spending 8 heat then is a optional form of a standard action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
petho22 wrote:
Ahhh. So spending 8 heat then is a optional form of a standard action?

Actions on blue cards are always optional, but may only be used once per generation. Standard projects (printed on the board) may be used several times, for example spending 8 heat to raise temperature if possible (and get TR).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your quick responses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
Standard projects (printed on the board) may be used several times, for example spending 8 heat to raise temperature if possible (and get TR).

This doesn't count as a "standard project" though, right? I assume spending 8 heat/plants does not trigger Standard Technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
jeff0 wrote:
EagleEye80 wrote:
Standard projects (printed on the board) may be used several times, for example spending 8 heat to raise temperature if possible (and get TR).

This doesn't count as a "standard project" though, right? I assume spending 8 heat/plants does not trigger Standard Technology.

Standard projects are only the actions printed on the board. It would be really crazy if "Standard Technology" would give you refunds for actions on blue cards too!!

While on the subject: The extra MC-production for doing the standard action city is only for building a city as a standard action. You DONT get extra MC-production for building cities from cards. (this is a common question on these forums)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
jeff0 wrote:
EagleEye80 wrote:

Standard projects are only the actions printed on the board. It would be really crazy if "Standard Technology" would give you refunds for actions on blue cards too!!

While on the subject: The extra MC-production for doing the standard action city is only for building a city as a standard action. You DONT get extra MC-production for building cities from cards. (this is a common question on these forums)

I'm not sure he was asking about blue cards. I believe Jeff was asking about the action of playing 8 plants to play a greenery, or 8 heat to raise the temperature. Neither of these require a blue card, and neither are considered "standard actions" (as they are not printed on the board), and therefore do not give you 3M back when you have standard technology.
I think your initial post quoted above is a bit misleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add that Caretaker Contract can be useful even if the temperature is NOT maxed out, if you want to delay the game end. This is only useful if you're gaining more VP:s per turn than your opponents, but even so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.