Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally put these comments in another thread, but decided putting them here may be more useful to people interested in these map boards:

So far I have played one solo game on the Belgium map, and two four-player games on the Russian map.

The Belgium map, as well as a great lakes map (played once solo and once against another player), have made Age of Industry a fantastic two player experience. Playing two player on these is really just as satisfying as playing more players on the larger maps. The rules tweaks and map design Claude put into these maps are really that good. AoI is now one of the few multiplayer strategy games I own that play just as well with two players.

The Russian map is also excellent. The first game we played had me a little concerned as we saw a tremendous amount of coal and iron being built on the map (there is an abundance of coal and cheap iron locations on this map). We did not have any purchases from the market until the second to last turn of the game. I was concerned that The map simply provided too many resources. The second game however did not play out at all like this. We were purchasing and selling to the market early in the game and throughout the game. I think in the first game a couple of players were playing less than optimal by building Coal and Iron factories before there was demand in the market. The incentive to use state-provided cards for building also added an additional level of strategy to The game, requiring you to plan your movies earlier in advance. Also we found the games played on the Russian map played a bit quicker than on the other maps we played with four players. This is due to the state-provided cards that ultimately go away helping to deplete the deck sooner.

AoI is definitely our hot game right now. The additional maps that are available only make it that much better (BTW Jack I hope to get the chance to try your map out sometime soon as well). It is disappointing that AoI is not any more popular than it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Claude's maps are really excellent. You really should check out my Portugal map in the file section. Too many resources certainly won't be the case with that one.

Thanks for the nice sentiment. I don't worry about popularity. One of the best compliments I've received from one user was that they enjoyed it better than the maps that came with the base game. That's all I need to hear to make it worth it for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Claude's maps are really excellent. You really should check out my Portugal map in the file section. Too many resources certainly won't be the case with that one.

Thanks for the nice sentiment. I don't worry about popularity. One of the best compliments I've received from one user was that they enjoyed it better than the maps that came with the base game. That's all I need to hear to make it worth it for me!

Ohh, I've not heard about this map. Will try to try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Industry is a game that gets plenty of table time within our groups which is interesting given its age. However, the new maps make it fresh every time we play it, so people keep coming back to it. Claude has done a terrific job with his maps and we enjoy them thoroughly.

You should make a point to print Jack's Portugal map. With higher player counts, one member of our group described it as a "knife fight in a phone booth". I think he meant that in a good way. The map has several interesting areas to explore, but the topography and the ease with which you can get cut off, make it tight starting in the mid-game. Planning for that tightness is a key to the map, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Joe! Also, the aspect of getting cut off makes the "combining 2 actions to build anywhere" option something that gets used more frequently as opposed to on some of the other maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apparently I'm too stupid to find it. I can only find German rules for it in the main game's file section.

Never mind, it is its own entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Thanks, Joe! Also, the aspect of getting cut off makes the "combining 2 actions to build anywhere" option something that gets used more frequently as opposed to on some of the other maps.

That rule is a lifesaver on your map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Silver wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

That rule is a lifesaver on your map.

That was the idea - making the map feel restrictive, but still allowing you a way to reset yourself. For anyone who is interested in printing it up, I just came back from Staples - $23 for them to custom-print it onto a matte 32"x17" poster. Bought a $12 frame that was a little bigger width-wise and it's ready to go. You just need to make sure that they have someone in the print center that knows how to assemble the (tiled) file into one whole map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.