Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an edge case, but I am curious.

The game has no forced progress rule. (In SW:TCG the dark side wins by default) There may be a situation where players do not want to ever proactively play, and so they could keep passing every turn. The game doesn't have a rule like "discard / play" a minimum of one card per turn.

Does anybody know how that would be resolved in a tournament setting? Would the game go to time, and whoever has control of the battlefield wins? Or whoever has the most cards left in the deck and hand maybe?

Also, do you think there should have been a rule guarding against that to prevent control deck matches to degenerate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you explain the exact situation this would happen? The game is built to where eventually a player will pass their action and eventually the opponent will also pass, ending the turn. There is no "resolve 0 dice" rule and so there isn't currently an easy way to stall the game to an infinite game state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsplice wrote:
Can you explain the exact situation this would happen? The game is built to where eventually a player will pass their action and eventually the opponent will also pass, ending the turn. There is no "resolve 0 dice" rule and so there isn't currently an easy way to stall the game to an infinite game state.

I didn't mean that a turn never ends, but rather, that the game never ends, if players repeatedly pass to end the turn, the only thing that happens is both players getting 2 extra resources per turn. No one is getting closer to losing the game since discarding cards is optional.

There could be a situation where the first player to do anything other than pass loses the game, therefore the optimal strategy is to keep passing.

Also in tournaments, it is possible both players are trying to draw the game to guarantee advancing to the playoffs, would that be prevented?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
If you pass, your opponent will just murder you. You won't be able to prevent their attacks or discards allowing them to win.

FFG has anti cheating rules that state you're not allow to collaborate with an opponent. If you both pass with out attacking each other the judge can disqualify you both from the tourney. I see this as a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you're talking about taking an Intentional Draw (ID). I suspect that FFG will ultimately allow this at official tournaments. I'm not a fan, but I'm also not an ultra competitive player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam kouzmanoff
United States
champaign
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess theoretically if they print some characters who don't have discard or damage on their dice, it's possible for both teams to be down to 1 card, and not have any way to make their opponent discard or take damage.

In any other situation there will likely be ways to deal even 1 damage a round, or the battlefield itself will have damage or discard on it. Theoretically the game could take a long time, but it would be soluble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is possible in many other games. In Dice Masters, for example, this could theoretically happen, since there's no "decking out": (there's no deck, per se), and players could simply decide not to attack or field characters. However, this pretty much never happens at the tournament level - even in the worst-case "turtle up" matches, somebody is at least trying to overpower the other guy before the tourney clock runs out. Even then, resolutions like this are incredibly rare and never really intentional.

There's a ton of tabletop minis games like X-Wing, Warmachine, Warhammer 40,000, etc. in which no rule forces players to attack, which could lead to endless and/or stalemate games. But even without a rule forcing game resolutions to occur, it is just natural that, if two people decide to sit down and play a game, especially if they paid to play that game in a tournament, they are pretty likely to, y'know, actually PLAY that game (and maybe even try to win it).

As for colluding to intentionally draw top matches in tourneys, well, everyone has a different opinion as to whether or not this should be allowed. Nonetheless, it happens, even in games where an endgame would be inevitable (i.e. Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc), so it'll be up to FFG to decide what their stance is, which I don't see being any different than their other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
If you pass, your opponent will just murder you. You won't be able to prevent their attacks or discards allowing them to win.

FFG has anti cheating rules that state you're not allow to collaborate with an opponent. If you both pass with out attacking each other the judge can disqualify you both from the tourney. I see this as a non-issue.

i agree, such a situation would only occur if both players let it happen.
even if neither player wants to play/discard cards, they can still roll and resolve the dice already in play and since the dice tend to do more damage than protect the characters, the player's characters should eventually be killed.

i do think some cards/dice results let you discard cards from your opponent's hand so even if he dont play them, he may still lose them and lose the game.

if your opponent keeps passing, it frees you to attack at will his characters, so i really dont see a standoff to occur in normal circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.