Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few house rules my group uses.

Fandonia never goes to war with Besyzan

This only changes things if you are playing with the optional rule Effects of Unresolved Political Problems. It means that even if the war spreads to all countries, Besyzan is unaffected.

Justification: This seems to fit with the errata and its intention to keep Besyzan as being safe from wars so you can always banish people to there. We see Besyzan as a tiny little country without a standing army.

When recalled, Ambassadors still need a travel action to return to Fandonia out of war time. NC's do not return from abroad unless a Political Problem or war requires it.

Justification: The rules are muddy on this point. It makes sense that characters still have to spend time travelling when no emergency requires their return and brings the abroad rules into play more frequently.

Female Characters can become Monarch's Counsellors

This is a change back to the original ruleset.

Justification: This is partly there for game balance reasons. Female characters are already limited in what they can do and this is the only way they can gain status without a title. In terms of plausibility, the Monarch's Councellor position is a more informal one, as it being an Event Card that is discarded on a Monarch's death shows. We see it more as a "ear of the monarch" card, so there's no logical reason why a female character is precluded.

Characters 45-55 become unaligned if they are Banished, Imprisoned or go into Hiding

You could carry on rolling for them to be found because of interrogation, but we decided that was too much bookkeeping to justify it.

This does lead to these characters choosing to hide less frequently.

Justification: These are all forms of office and office holders lose their position when found guility of wrongdoing. It makes no sense to have a General in jail. The monarch would just appoint a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fandonia never goes to war with Besyzan

I agree with this -- although I picture Besyzan as inconsequential due to distance rather than weakness.

When recalled, Ambassadors still need a travel action to return to Fandonia out of war time. NC's do not return from abroad unless a Political Problem or war requires it.

Hmm, I view recall as automatically bringing the former ambassador (and spouse if any) back to Fandonia -- unless they have been recalled due to going into hiding to avoid a hearing. I could see a house rule allowing the option to remain abroad and placing a Travel marker on them at that time. Also, as with Hiding, I would see NCs that are abroad returning to Fandonia the moment they became NCs (except ambassadors).

Female Characters can become Monarch's Counsellors

This I would whole-heartedly support.

Characters 45-55 become unaligned if they are Banished, Imprisoned or go into Hiding

These characters aren't permitted to travel (13.4.18) or be abroad (20.7) so banishment should revert to imprisonment. The rules already provide that 46-51 get immediately executed if found anything other than "not guilty" (28.3).

I don't think 45-54 should be allowed to hide (consider them as "office holders" under 24.4 for this purpose), and I agree that imprisonment doesn't make sense given their nature. Perhaps allowing them to hide (to avoid a hearing only) or be imprisoned, but have them revert to NC & normal situation during the next office phase when the regular offices are filled.

I don't have a problem with 55 (Archbishop) hiding or being imprisoned as there is plenty of historical precedent for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.