Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy last week, and we got to play it right away too.

I just wanted to say thanks to all parties involved in getting this into the "mass market" (for our hobby anyways).

It is a first rate production at a reasonable cost. I highly recommend it for anyone with any level of interest in the 18xx hobby.

Thanks again, and i'll be supporting any future 18xx endeavors by GMT based upon this production.

thanks again to all parties involved in making 1846 happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded. Nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they get 1889, 1862, and 1817 next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirded.

Yeah, I'd be all over a GMT 1889. Beyond that I don't know--I'm still finding my footing in 18XX and have a limited local audience so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
I hope they get 1889 next.

This!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love to see 1817 next, although it definitely has a smaller audience compared to 1889.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Shmoe
United States
LEXINGTON
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, thank you for all of the work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will note that there is a very nice print-and-play version of 1889 available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I would love to see a new 18XX with an exciting stock market and a sub 3 hour play time. The only one I currently know of is 1849.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
I would love to see a new 18XX with an exciting stock market and a sub 3 hour play time. The only one I currently know of is 1849.

have you tried 1830? .... fits this after a certain amount of experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
easterly1 wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:

1857 as well but it's hard to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see 1867: The Railways of Canada or 1879. Of the games mentioned earlier, I'd recommend 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight over 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties. I don't see 1817 reaching a mass market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping 1851 is packaged up nicely as a great teaching game.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RvdH
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captaintobs wrote:
easterly1 wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:

I don't find 1857 having an exciting stock market. The game often ends with a bankruptcy in OR3.1 or OR3.2. I like a fast train rush, but the lack of trains makes it that the game ends too soon for my taste. Track placement doesn't provide really interesting choices, either; it often plays out the same.

Now 1879, that's a (shorter) game I find replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daveberry wrote:
I'd like to see 1867: The Railways of Canada or 1879. Of the games mentioned earlier, I'd recommend 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight over 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties. I don't see 1817 reaching a mass market.

This is GMT. 1817 is more mass market than A World at War.

I'd buy any and all future 18XX they come out with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D'Cotta
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
franczyk wrote:
Seconded. Nice work.

Just want to say a big thank you to GMT. Now I am eagerly waiting to table this.

This is my first 18xx purchase (had previously played my friends' 1830, Steam over Holland and 180E).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
RvdH83 wrote:
captaintobs wrote:
easterly1 wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:

I don't find 1857 having an exciting stock market. The game often ends with a bankruptcy in OR3.1 or OR3.2. I like a fast train rush, but the lack of trains makes it that the game ends too soon for my taste. Track placement doesn't provide really interesting choices, either; it often plays out the same.

Now 1879, that's a (shorter) game I find replayable.

I'm hugely thankful for the wonderful professional production done on 1846, but I sure wish there was a simple way to get some of these shorter winsome title maps out to a wide group. There seem to be more an more 18XXers around these days (myself included) and one of the great things about the system is the variety in the maps (similar to Age of Steam). I sure do hope GMT put out more 18XX, but if we have to wait 1-1.5 years for each new print it's going to be a while till we get to 1849, 1879, 1862, etc.

I have a strong suspicion if they do another, it will be 1889. Yay. But I'd sure hope for some others sooner than later to complement 46 and 89.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
blu_in_green wrote:
I'm hugely thankful for the wonderful professional production done on 1846, but I sure wish there was a simple way to get some of these shorter winsome title maps out to a wide group.

Well, the answer might be lower production values. Go down the Cheapass Games route and print 18xxs for people who already have a stock of ordinary tiles and money, only with the components specific to that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
damerell wrote:
blu_in_green wrote:
I'm hugely thankful for the wonderful professional production done on 1846, but I sure wish there was a simple way to get some of these shorter winsome title maps out to a wide group.

Well, the answer might be lower production values. Go down the Cheapass Games route and print 18xxs for people who already have a stock of ordinary tiles and money, only with the components specific to that game.

Maybe GMT should prep a core 18XX kit with all the tiles, generic colored shares, and then start selling map packs with unique charters with colors to match the generic shares...

I'd be down with any way to get more 18XX faster and cheaper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do realise that it is possible to buy 1889 and 1849 now, along with many other titles?

Some are harder to get hold of but there are plenty of 18xx games available from DTG, AAG, Mayfair and Marflow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but GMT $61 & get it now, or DTG (ready to play) $101 + multi year wait. A subjective difference: GMT's updated graphics treatment. I get the enthusiasm for GMT doing more based on those two factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
claudermilk wrote:
Right, but GMT $61 & get it now, or DTG (ready to play) $101 + multi year wait.

Nope. Order from AAG and you can have it in single digit days and get a better product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

Nope. Order from AAG and you can have it in single digit days and get a better product.

As JC said - that's why I said you can buy them now. I thought you might not be aware of that option. Yes, they're more expensive. Yes, the production is different (it's a matter of taste which you prefer). But if you can afford them, you can get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1846 arrived this week (Australia!), and I promptly ignored all the prejudice that it is a niche game and too hard and brought it along to a popular downtown meetup. Arrived early, set it up, and welcomed any and all to join me for a teaching game. The only observation I made to all who showed interest was that it would be a longer game. An all evening one. This being a large group geared to the standard euros and party games, I didn't want to mislead anyone in that sense. I got three people interested, none of which had ever played a train game before. Nor a GMT game.

We jumped right in, with some broad explanation of how the structure of the game worked. What happens in the stock round, and how corporations operate in the operational rounds. What shares represent, and how routes run. I didn't stop to explain every single detail, as I find that a bit pointless. No one can remember it all if I front load all rules, and I find it best to keep moving and filling in the details as they are required.

We made it all the way to the end of phase 3 - it was ambitious to think we would finish the game in 3.5h. But you know what? All players loved the game. They asked me to bring it next week, while also getting my contact details to play it on a weekend with more time to spare. Also asked me about how other 18XX games are dfferent. Another passerby, having heard of 18XX on the Heavy Boardgames podcast lamented not being able to join my game, and also asked to be invited to a future one.
One of the players praised the clarity of the board design. The production values are really top notch for an 18XX game. I do like the thicker tiles. I've also sold a few people on the idea of using poker chips in games with a lot of money changing hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

I can't see 1846 listed on AAG.

https://sites.google.com/site/aagamesllc/home/ordering-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.