Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I bought this nice game (2nd edition) recently and I am quite happy with it. But I have some problems with some linguistic inaccuracies. And with the circumstance that some(important) details are in the rules which are not on the charts and vice versa.

Question 1:

14.9.1 Demoralization test
(...) the force is demoralized if the modified score is greater than the morale of the force.

The morale modifiers are as follows:
The tactical value of the general (...): +#
Differential in losses with the winner, these include the losses suffered from retreating across a river or through a mountain without a pass: -1/step

(...)

For example, a defeated Prussian army with morale 3, commanded by Blücher with a tectical value in defence of 1, has suffered 3 more steps losses. the force is demoralised if the die score higher than 3-3+1 =1.

Ok, seems to be clear. But let us assume that a french force (morale 4) lead by Napoleon (defence value 3) had a real bad die result and loses with two step losses difference. So I recalculate the morale: 4 (morale) + 3 (Nappi) - 2 (losses) = 5 -> I must roll a 6 to demoralize the french because their morale is higher then before. If they lost just one step it is impossible to demoralize them?!

Question 2:
Differential in losses with the winner, these include the losses suffered from retreating across a river or through a mountain without a pass: -1/step

I do not understand this part. I calculate the morale before the troops retreat. So there are no losses at this time by crossing mountains etc.. Or do I look for the path of retreat in advance an substract the future losses - hard to believe.

Gerrit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Campaign
Question 3: Nothing to do with the rule quality

Is it possible that a force intercept during a major campaign of the opponent?

Allies play MC-card, moves first small force to Salzburg and activates the russian force to support. Nappy sits in Vienna and attacks the smaller force before help arrives.

I would say that is not correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Question 1 - yes

Question 2 - yes

Question 3 - yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward, thanks for you exhausting answer.

To No.2, so the text on the short rule sheet is wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You poor, poor man. Good luck trying to decipher the rules to this game.

Unless you're fluent in french, your best source of information is the archaic CSW site and its 1000+ NaE posts. You may (slowly) find answers to how to interpret some of the most awkward rules there. Using the recently updated rules also helps somewhat.
(2nd ed. rules found here: http://www.hexasim.com/nae/NaE-rules-V2-web.pdf)

That said, I think we can agree that the answer to Question 1 is: Yes.
So use those combat cards, or better still, don't attack Napoleon...

Question 2 just shows, again, how very badly written the rules are. Just to make it more confusing, there's a difference between the French (2nd ed.) and English (2nd. ed) versions.
The English one now reads: "The difference in losses from the victor, including losses from crossing a river or mountain without a pass."
The French version still includes the words "retreating across..."

Maybe Edward can provide some sources for his reply on Question 2?

The answer to Question 3 has been confirmed on CSW as: Yes, you can intercept movement during a Major Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Malleus_Berlin wrote:
Edward, thanks for you exhausting answer.

To No.2, so the text on the short rule sheet is wrong?

To what "short rule sheet" are you referring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Brastias wrote:
You poor, poor man. Good luck trying to decipher the rules to this game.

Unless you're fluent in french, your best source of information is the archaic CSW site and its 1000+ NaE posts. You may (slowly) find answers to how to interpret some of the most awkward rules there. Using the recently updated rules also helps somewhat.
(2nd ed. rules found here: http://www.hexasim.com/nae/NaE-rules-V2-web.pdf)

That said, I think we can agree that the answer to Question 1 is: Yes.
So use those combat cards, or better still, don't attack Napoleon...

Question 2 just shows, again, how very badly written the rules are. Just to make it more confusing, there's a difference between the French (2nd ed.) and English (2nd. ed) versions.
The English one now reads: "The difference in losses from the victor, including losses from crossing a river or mountain without a pass."
The French version still includes the words "retreating across..."

Maybe Edward can provide some sources for his reply on Question 2?

The answer to Question 3 has been confirmed on CSW as: Yes, you can intercept movement during a Major Campaign.

I don't agree that the rules are badly written. My opponents and I haven't had any problems with the 2nd edition rules. The sources for my reply are the rules as written and the application of some common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward and Martin, thanks for your help.

@ Edward: Play Aids is the correct word.

@ Martin: But you know my problem: there is a nice looking game, with beautiful counters, nice looking cards, some good ideas and then you have got these rules. I will not say that are so bad, but really needs and update and a closer look at special aspects. I will give it a try and fill the gaps. Thanks for your advice with consimworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.