Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played our first game last night with two players and noticed two things:

1. We had each played a ton of cards and were quickly filling up our respective sides of the table (almost to capacity).

2. Towards the end of the game, we had our engines running so well that at the beginning of each new generation our resources were piling up (even without hoarding them).

I was wondering, if we played with more players, does it tend to reduce the amount of cards you are able to play and the amount of resources you gather just through the fact that you have more players? If it doesn't, then I would think we'd need a much bigger table to accommodate the cards and we'd run out of resource cubes towards the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Ensure you are taking more than one turn (1 or 2 actions) per generation (not just 1 or 2 actions per generation).
2. Because the end game conditions are the same no matter the player count, it means the more people playing, the less cards played per person, and likely lower scores and less generations played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
generic_erwin wrote:
Played our first game last night with two players and noticed two things:

1. We had each played a ton of cards and were quickly filling up our respective sides of the table (almost to capacity).

2. Towards the end of the game, we had our engines running so well that at the beginning of each new generation our resources were piling up (even without hoarding them).

I was wondering, if we played with more players, does it tend to reduce the amount of cards you are able to play and the amount of resources you gather just through the fact that you have more players? If it doesn't, then I would think we'd need a much bigger table to accommodate the cards and we'd run out of resource cubes towards the end.

The amount of players greatly affects game length and final scores.
Since the amount of terraforming steps needed to end the game stays the same, each new player will decrease the average game length by a few generations (Probably something like 17-2n generations is normal, n being the number of players)
Of course, this also affects the amount of cards you play, since you see fewer of them, but it's noteworthy that your strategy (and perhaps which cards you draw) will greatly influence how many cards you play as well. I remember a 2player game in which I played 47 cards, and then there are others where you barely play 20.

As far as resources are concerned, all resources beside steel and titanium can always be used for something (with energy/heat becoming "useless" at some point). Those two are especially prone to being stuck on your player board at the end of the game, since it can be difficult to find cards you can (or want to) spend them on.
That's the tradeoff for getting relatively efficient production of those resources laugh
Of course, this also means that increasing steel or titanium production becomes a lot worse the more production you already have. (Well, ALL resource production has diminishing returns, even M€ income, but for steel/titanium and energy/heat the effect is much bigger)

Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
The number of cards played greatly influences how efficiently your engines will run.

If throughout the game you are constantly playing cards that increase resource production instead of oxygen, heat, and oceans, the game will last a long time and you will have a ton of resources.

In a game with more players, the player that is pushing for TR generally helps speed the game along, because it forces players to decide whether a highly productive engine is worth the increasing TR gap.

We played a 4 player game, in under 2 hours even with new players, because we were all pushing for the end game requirements.

We played on a small game table, and it was tight, but I dont think anyone had more than 15-20 cards

As with any game, players have a huge amount of control of how long a game lasts, Usually when im teaching I just really emphasize the end game requirements, to make sure they are a goal for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
1. Ensure you are taking more than one turn (1 or 2 actions) per generation (not just 1 or 2 actions per generation).
2. Because the end game conditions are the same no matter the player count, it means the more people playing, the less cards played per person, and likely lower scores and less generations played.

1. No issues with not playing as many actions as we could during each generation. If anything, I often felt I was playing too much each time it came around to me and stretching myself thin for future generations.

2. That makes sense about more people, less cards, lower scores and less generations. I think our two player game ended somewhere around generation 15 and the final score was my wife with 100 and I had 92. She concentrated on putting out forests, whereas I think I focused way too much on making my machine spit out crazy amounts of resources. In the end, I had a ton of useless resources, but nothing really to show for it. I did have a lot of microbe cards as well that I never took advantage of, but that's because I still don't really understand how those and the animal cards work. Still need to do some reading up on that I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Malek1 wrote:
If throughout the game you are constantly playing cards that increase resource production instead of oxygen, heat, and oceans, the game will last a long time and you will have a ton of resources.

In a game with more players, the player that is pushing for TR generally helps speed the game along, because it forces players to decide whether a highly productive engine is worth the increasing TR gap.

This is where I think I messed up on my side. With the two of us having so much fun making our machines run efficiently, we didn't focus on the end goals as much as we probably should. My wife did switch it up in the end and start working on creating a ton of forests and I think that is what pushed her over the top. I had a ton of heat, but once our temperature had maxed out, my production was so high and cranking out so much heat each generation, I was kind of stuck with a useless resource pile. I at least had the corporation that lets it use heat as money as well as the card that let me take an action of using the heat once a generation for 1 victory point. I kind of misread that though at first and didn't realize I could only take that action once a generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned the game changes drastically with more players - our 4/5 player games have never gone beyond 10 generations.

Just a quick note on table space - you actually don't need a lot of space for your cards, as you can simply overlap them so that only tags show for green cards, and only the top 3rd for blue cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.