Subject: I'm so proud of our armed services right now rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they're very good at killing people, but IMO much more importantly they're very good at staying out of politics.

It's times like this when a populist human trash fire, racist demagogue is inflaming the public with fear and hate that I appreciate the US military's long and firm tradition of staying out of politics the most.

Imagine how much worse this could be getting if the most powerful military in human history were leaning on the levers of power in this election. That's the kind of thing that could turn this bad situation into a literal civil war / disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Members of the Armed Services take their oath very seriously. And yes, they're very good at killing people. That's the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rylfrazier wrote:
Yes, they're very good at killing people, but IMO much more importantly they're very good at staying out of politics.

It's times like this when a populist human trash fire, racist demagogue is inflaming the public with fear and hate that I appreciate the US military's long and firm tradition of staying out of politics the most.

Imagine how much worse this could be getting if the most powerful military in human history were leaning on the levers of power in this election. That's the kind of thing that could turn this bad situation into a literal civil war / disaster.

I'm sorry, but I must disabuse you of the notion that there aren't some in the military who would -- or might -- already be predisposed to lean on one or more of the levers of power.

Indeed, I've mentioned this possibility before. After all, the military is a component of one of the seven major spheres of interest that Dominionists aspire to dominate in leadership positions.

For more information about how military attorney Mikey Weinstein and his Military Religious Freedom Alliance are combating Dominionism in the armed forces, click on the following news-story link: "The Crusade for a Christian Military": Are US Forces Trying to Convert Afghans to Christianity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
An old military joke goes "You're here to defend democracy, not participate in it." The military structure is an hierarchy, and orders flow from the top. I've never heard a single one of my fellow vets suggest that the civilian officials at the top shouldn't be part of the chain of command or shouldn't be calling the shots. They might sometimes be idiots, but they're our idiots, and we're here to defend them and the democracy they represent. That's how simple it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
SPIGuy wrote:
An old military joke goes "You're here to defend democracy, not participate in it." The military structure is an hierarchy, and orders flow from the top. I've never heard a single one of my fellow vets suggest that the civilian officials at the top shouldn't be part of the chain of command or shouldn't be calling the shots. They might sometimes be idiots, but they're our idiots, and we're here to defend them and the democracy they represent. That's how simple it is.

Yup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

Yes true that! But I find it funny you want to disparage the Trump side in this when law enforcement and the military overwhelmingly support him.

So the military is NOT staging a coup in support of Donald, and that somehow looks good for hillary? Ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Yes true that! But I find it funny you want to disparage the Trump side in this when law enforcement and the military overwhelmingly support him.

They do ? source ?

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/288546-poll-libertarian-jo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

So the military is NOT staging a coup in support of Donald, and that somehow looks good for hillary? Ok.

No, I hate Donald Trump and I also like our military and the fact that our military doesn't get political.

I understand that in your tiny little world there are only "good guys" like you, Trump and Putin and bad guys, like me, Hillary and Satan, but in reality I can like some people and still disagree with them.

Not you. But some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
rylfrazier wrote:
.. I appreciate the US military's long and firm tradition of staying out of politics the most.
It's a comforting notion, given that there are nations on earth where the military serves as another avenue of political power for the ruling party. But it does give one pause about how many of the "unwritten rules of politics" have been broken this time around.

You shouldn't mock the disabled? Trump did.
You shouldn't classify an entire nationality as rapists? Trump did.
You shouldn't brag about sexual assault and getting away with it as a powerful man. But Trump did.
You shouldn't endorse the US military conducting torture. But Trump did.
You shouldn't shit on democracy by emboldening conspiracy theorists with crackpot tales of institutionalized voter fraud that "stacks the deck against you." But Trump did.
You shouldn't scapegoat an entire world religion by threatening to "keep them out." But Trump did.
You shouldn't threaten assassinations of the families of non-combatants. But Trump did.
You shouldn't cozy up to avowed dictators in foreign lands. But Trump did.
You shouldn't fantasize about dating your own daughter. But Trump has.
You shouldn't insult Gold-Star families of fallen servicemen. But Trump did.
You shouldn't threaten to hold American democracy hostage by claiming to not accept an election outcome because it didn't go your way. But Trump has.
You shouldn't want to change libel laws so that suing the media in court becomes easier. But Trump has.
As a mature adult & candidate for the highest public office in the land, you shouldn't make a cottage industry of insulting perceived opponents on social media. But Trump has.

So as we pat each other on the back and talk up our American democracy and all of its wonderful "unwritten rules" we should also be very mindful of the unwritten rules that were tossed completely in the trash this time around. And maybe have a little bit of fear for the future, and about which "unwritten rules" will be the next to go.

Because in 2016, it was basic decency & civility that was cast aside, in the future... ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. They're doing much better than the FBI...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.