Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does this skill give a bonus die when opening a chest? They are not specifically described as locked, but it does take a complex manipulation to open one. I ruled that it does apply.

Rule (from "Miscellaneous Skills" card): This character rolls an extra [red die] when picking a lock.

French side also seems to specify picking a lock ('une serrure"), so does not seem to be translation-related. I also know that in some scenarios there are doors specifically noted to be locked, so it might just apply there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
It applies to both chests and locked doors.
A "serrure" can be found on a chest or a door in french.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that. Another subtle difference in translation.

I also found this on the bottom of page 9 of the Heroes' Book:
"To open a chest, the Hero must pick the chest's lock."

It is in a black box, and when I was looking for a rule, I skipped them as clarifications rather than explicit rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crispy66 wrote:

Which is kinda weird: Conan can break through walls, but can't break open a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
crispy66 wrote:

Which is kinda weird: Conan can break through walls, but can't break open a box.

In earlier versions of the rules (before the KS), I heard that it was actually a possibility. Don't know why they chose to remove it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
crispy66 wrote:

In earlier versions of the rules (before the KS), I heard that it was actually a possibility. Don't know why they chose to remove it.

i seem to remember, maybe incorrectly, that in early versions of the Hunting the Tigress scenario, you could fail to jump between ships, and land in the water instead, at which point you had to use the Swim skill to make your way back to some part of the ship. i'm glad they removed that, though - it would have been cumbersome to play out. The current mechanism is much more streamlined (heroes and bosses simply fail to jump, while Minions and Allies fall into the drink and is consumed by sharks).

i speculate that they removed the ability to smash open chests because it would potentially marginalize the characters who are weak and need to rely on Lockpicking. Lots of people have Strong Opinions when it comes to "role protection" for characters in tabletop games. They don't want the party's Fighter being able cast Healing Spells because that marginalizes the Cleric. Likewise, if Conan can bash open chests, there's less for Shivvy (the Thief) to do. Some people are Very Protective of their character's role in that regard. Or so i hear, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuffie kasiragi
msg tools
Shoum wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
[q="crispy66"]I also found this on the bottom of page 9 of the Heroes' Book:

But he still can, he just needs to put gems into manipulation of of massive chest cracking skillz

Quote:

In earlier versions, Conan also needed to spend stamina for the wall-wrecker skill. Now he spends the same stamina to make a manipulation check, sounds the same for me, especially if you want to roleplay that he does not open the chest with a small tool,but rather smashes the box to smithereens.

Gameplay explanation: They buffed the Wall wrecker skill inbetween though to just cost 2 movement points and opening chests with movement would have been op I guess (as it makes his manipulation stat/dice color redundant on top of guaranteeing a success - and makes skills like master thief look like a joke)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talaris wrote:
Gameplay explanation: They buffed the Wall wrecker skill inbetween though to just cost 2 movement points ...

By the way, Wall Wrecker has a translation error regarding its cost: "2 movement" is supposed to say "2 additional movement". i.e. 3 movement for most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.