Subject: Can someone define "Unbroken Chain" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, for the building tiles where you score points for a "chain" here is the official ruling:

The owner scores 1 victory point (2 victory points
if the tile is upgraded) for each tile that is connected
directly, or indirectly, to this tile by a connector of the
colour indicated on the tile. The links must form an
unbroken chain.

The last sentence is what is confusing us. An Unbroken Chain.

How does that affect the below examples:

This is obviously fine, scoring 5 points:
O - O - O - O - 0

But what about this:
0 - 0 - 0 - 0
..../
Would that score 5 or just 4 for the MAX chain?

please ignore the ...'s - i couldn't line the "tiles" up!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
For each tile on your board check if you can trace back to the scoring tile using only connectors of the indicated colour. If you can, that tile scores points, otherwise it does not.

If I'm reading your second ascii-graph correctly that would be 5 scoring tiles. They are all interconnected using the appropriate connector colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I struggle with the "unbroken chain". It all depends if side chains count or whether it just has to be the main links. If you count the tiles from the start of the chain then you have to come back on yourself with every branch to a tile you've already counted so I'd say that would break the counting chain. It would be great to get definitive answer on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
For each tile on your board check if you can trace back to the scoring tile using only connectors of the indicated colour. If you can, that tile scores points, otherwise it does not.

If I'm reading your second ascii-graph correctly that would be 5 scoring tiles. They are all interconnected using the appropriate connector colour.

That is my understanding as well, and it was how that scoring tile was explained to us in Essen when we playtested the game,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
That's correct Jon. Thanks for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simpsqo wrote:
Yeah I struggle with the "unbroken chain". It all depends if side chains count or whether it just has to be the main links. If you count the tiles from the start of the chain then you have to come back on yourself with every branch to a tile you've already counted so I'd say that would break the counting chain. It would be great to get definitive answer on this.

As I understand it branches are fine as long as you can follow a path of the appropriate colour connectors back to the tile that gives you the bonus.

You could even have the following

O O O
\ / /
O - O - O - O - O - O
/ \
O O - O

If all the connectors are the appropriate colour then all those tiles count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks all. Andy, your diagrams were infinitely better than mine. I couldn't get the branch to line up!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Breese wrote:
JonBen wrote:
That's correct Jon. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks Richard and massive thanks for producing another great game.
So in these 2 situations:

The setup on left would score 14
The setup on right would score 12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clownfeet wrote:
Excellent. Thanks all. Andy, your diagrams were infinitely better than mine. I couldn't get the branch to line up!!!

For future use the key is to use the Code button The C on the toolbar. This will then display in a fixed-width font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.