Subject: Wait till Black Friday (or Boxing Day) now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Through the year, I've gotten great deals on sales. Since Black Friday is approaching should I wait until that day rather than order now? In Canada I would wait until Boxing Day as well?

Most of the stuff I want is new or pre-orders though. I doubt if the stores will give big discounts on hot new items but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Buy it now.

Then on Black Friday (Boxing Day) save yourself the headache of battling servers that can't handle the traffic (or roads that can't handle the traffic) and play some games instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I dunno. I love games, but also saving as they are expensive. If I really like something I buy at anytime if sales are far apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hocker
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If they are not on sale now then why not wait until Black Friday/Boxing Day. Best case scenario you get the games you want for cheaper, worst case is you lose a few weeks play time with those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
Buy it now.

Then on Black Friday (Boxing Day) save yourself the headache of battling servers that can't handle the traffic (or roads that can't handle the traffic) and play some games instead.

Also, if you're ordering now, hopefully you're ordering what you actually want. I myself am frequently far too swayed by good deals. It means I buy games that I am less likely to actually play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I dunno. I love games, but also saving as they are expensive. If I really like something I buy at anytime if sales are far apart.

You should buy games you really like.
Don't buy games you don't really like. Even if they're inexpensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shane
Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Buy games that other people like (hence lookup the BGG game rating), that way you wont loose much when you trade them / sell them away.

You would be surprised at how many people apparently use this strategy(!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanwen Dong
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lachinois wrote:
Buy games that other people like (hence lookup the BGG game rating), that way you wont loose much when you trade them / sell them away.

You would be surprised at how many people apparently use this strategy(!).

Except that they sit on your self forever and eventually when you did move them, the thin margin does not make it worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy them when the urge hits you (and you can afford them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanruhe wrote:

I'm ashamed that it took me a few years to learn that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honestly, though, some of the best deals of the year are around black Friday. If you have the patience and discipline to wait (not me, of course) you can get some great deals on the games you want.

Last year the black Friday sales started randomly and early. Because of the competition you won't be able to get everything you want before it sells out. That's just part of it.

Also keep in mind that most good, popular games will go on sale at some point. I picked up Dead of Winter for $25 at one of the last Cardhaus sales. Pandemic Legacy is now routinely on sale for $35. Patience and discipline - and take advantage of the opportunities when they arise.

imho, ymmv.

p.s. - if you have no patience or discipline then disregard all of that nonsense or you'll start worrying more about saving money on shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
bryanruhe wrote:

I'm ashamed that it took me a few years to learn that!

I learned that lesson a couple years ago after buying a bunch of games at B&N when they hit 75% off. Just takes up valuable room.

As far as the original question. I would say it doesn't matter. Having bought my fair share of board games I would say if the price is close to 50% off msrp you normally won't do better than that. Some games that don't get discounted often 30% off might be a great deal. But for me 50% off is when I feel I am getting a good deal. I have found getting more than 50% off normally happens more one off rather than in large sales. Also many games that may get more discount than that is because they aren't great games. The only exception to that is a B&N clearance but you still have to be lucky usually to get stuff more than 50% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game store, and Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for us. We have a line down the block in the morning, and have some amazing deals. It's a great time to get some great deals, but there is one pretty large caveat...

More now than ever, there are only so many copies out there of many games. How many threads on BGG are started asking when something will be reprinted?

If you want a game, just buy it from your preferred source when you can afford to. Is the potential of saving another $5 worth missing out on a game you really want? Is it worth delaying getting it a few weeks? Every year, I always have a few customers annoyed that by the time they roll in at 10AM, I've sold out of New Release X. Invariably, some of those games are weeks or months away from a reprint.

By all means use BF sales to get those games you were on the fence about! It makes the risk more palatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sales are great, but if there's something you really want for Christmas, get it now. The good stuff on these sales is sometimes literally gone in seconds. And sometimes, owing to the holidays and demand, it doesn't come back into stock until well after Christmas.

So if there's something you want (or want to give) that'll "make or break" your Christmas, buy it now.

If it's just stuff to stock the game closet, then wait for the sales and be happy with what you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Good advice from every body. I will hedge my bets and buy games I really want now like A Feast for Odin. That game is already sold out again

If I am lucky, I may be able to get some good popular new games at a large discount but because I have no idea what will be on sale., I won't hold my breath.

If it is 10 percent across the entire inventory that may be worth it, but sometimes deals of the day, flash sales and dings and dents beat BF sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.