19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game after Settlers of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liad Pelled
msg tools
Hi,
My playgroup and I were recently playing the hell out of Settlers of Catan and would like to try something new. We like to play strategy games, and have no problems being aggressive and extremely competitive (we sometimes fill with a few rounds of Exploding Kittens, so you get the idea).

We'd like to try a new strategy game that isn't TOO complicated, doesn't take forever to setup and lasts 2 hours max. We'd like it to fit for 6 people, but 5 or 4 is also fine if necessary.

A few titles I came across while doing a little research:
- Mission: Red Planet
- Five Tribes
- Cyclades
- Imhotep

Will gladly receive opinions on the above titles and other general recommendations.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 players is the difficulty...Many 6 player games tend to get into party game territory.

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery with expansion plays up to 6

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery

Mission Red Planet is great fun.
Cyclades is brilliant but only plays 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Cyclades or Mission Red Planet but, Five Tribes and Imhotep only play up to 4 players. They're both great games, setup of Imhotep is quicker and the game's quicker too, Five Tribes is the better game in my opinion.

If the 6 player mark is a goal maybe consider Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia it's certainly more challenging than Catan but worth the additional effort in getting to grips with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liad Pelled
msg tools
I came across Euphoria but after watching the Watch It Played tutorial on YouTube it seemed a little too complicated for my taste. Perhaps I got the wrong impression?

Also, on most of our game nights we are 6 people so it could be great finding a good game for that amount of players, but we wouldn't want to pass on other great games just because they are for 4 or 5 - it's also fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I'll second Empires: Age of Discovery - comes with everything you need for 6 players. I really enjoy this game, has worker placement, area control, warfare, etc. but also includes simplistic design and mechanics so it's very easy to teach/learn. It might be a good next step up from Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group is open to it, consider something like Star Wars X-Wing, Wings of Glory, Star Trek Attack Wing, D&D Attack Wing, Sails of Glory, or Dreadfleet. These types of games scale well with more players, have few complex rules, zero set-up time, are directly competitive, and play very quickly. They aren't the same kind of strategy game as Catan, but worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande plays up to 5 but otherwise fits your criteria pretty well. Very interactive (area majority), pretty intuitive, and plays under 2 hours. The big box version is more readily available last time I checked, but the expansions are by no means necessary if you can find another copy cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
These are good for 6 players, and 2.50 weight or below (Catan is 2.36):

7 Wonders
Mission: Red Planet (second edition)
King of Tokyo
Flash Point: Fire Rescue (a cooperative)
Libertalia
Colt Express
Citadels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gab Pal
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
The best games ingeniously blend Euro and Ameritrash styles
badge
THE CAKE IS A LIE !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your description I prescribe the following:

March of the Ants

Mare Nostrum: Empires

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) (likely take over 2 hours using all players)

I think you would like Cyclades too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep + Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cyclades has an expansion that takes it up to six players and is a lot of fun. I'd certainly add my recommendation for that, especially if you're already looking at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liad Pelled
msg tools
Thank you all for your comments, they are very helpful.

I also came across the game Istanbul - any opinions on that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Power Grid yet. It plays up to six and is often recommended as a next-step from gateway games like Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FinalArrow wrote:
Hi,
My playgroup and I were recently playing the hell out of Settlers of Catan and would like to try something new. We like to play strategy games, and have no problems being aggressive and extremely competitive (we sometimes fill with a few rounds of Exploding Kittens, so you get the idea).

We'd like to try a new strategy game that isn't TOO complicated, doesn't take forever to setup and lasts 2 hours max. We'd like it to fit for 6 people, but 5 or 4 is also fine if necessary.

- Five Tribes
- Cyclades
- Imhotep

Will gladly receive opinions on the above titles and other general recommendations.

Thanks!

I LOVE Mission: Red Planet, so I highly recommend it.

If what you enjoyed about Catan was the negotiating, playing across the board aspect, then I definitely recommend Cosmic Encounter. It only holds 5 with the base game, but any of the expansions will add a 6th player. The "Incursion" expansion also adds the Rewards Deck, which I would never play without now that I have it.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Ludrick
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
If your group is open to it, consider something like Star Wars X-Wing, Wings of Glory, Star Trek Attack Wing, D&D Attack Wing, Sails of Glory, or Dreadfleet. These types of games scale well with more players, have few complex rules, zero set-up time, are directly competitive, and play very quickly. They aren't the same kind of strategy game as Catan, but worth a look.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I mean I love X-wing, but those are games you collect, not ones you pull out on a game night. They have tons of rules systems, and generally work best 1v1. I think it's worth looking into but its a big commitment.

I think 7 Wonders is a good fit since it scales so well, although its a little short and not as directly competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liad Pelled
msg tools
Mentat1231 wrote:
FinalArrow wrote:
Hi,

- Five Tribes
- Cyclades
- Imhotep

Thanks!

I LOVE Mission: Red Planet, so I highly recommend it.

If what you enjoyed about Catan was the negotiating, playing across the board aspect, then I definitely recommend Cosmic Encounter. It only holds 5 with the base game, but any of the expansions will add a 6th player. The "Incursion" expansion also adds the Rewards Deck, which I would never play without now that I have it.

Cheers.

I've seen two main negative opionions of MRP:
- The whole game can be turned around near the end due to one player's lucky draw
- The game mosty ends with high point differences due to players having a bad start and not being able to catch up

I'd be happy to hear your opinion about these statements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 Players is tough.

Steampunk Rally is fantastic for 6 players. I think that would be my pick of the litter.

Acquire is a good one for up to 6 players.

Dominant Species is fantastic with 6 players, but allow 4 hours.

El Grande or Cosmic Encounter are highly recommended, but max 5 players.

Power Grid is a good choice, but it will run over 2 hours with 6 players. (Maybe 2-3 hours for your first time playing, and then a bit shorter with time).

Catan: Cities & Knights is a fantastic strategic addition to Catan. We never play without it now.

7 Wonders is great, up to 7 players.

Incan Gold is great for 4-8 and plays in 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with the suggestions of El Grande and 7 Wonders (if you like the card-drawing mechanic). Both decently competitive yet not too hard to learn. Also, if you do not have the Catan expensions: Seafarers and Knights & Cities are worth it.

I very much disagree with Cyclades, because I personally really disliked it. It is competitive, yes, but in an American style, meaning possible player elimination and players being shut out of the game completely. If that is your cup of tea, then fine I guess, but for me it was gamebreaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to some already mentioned: 7 Wonders, Mission Red Planet, Libertalia, Steampunk Rally, all good games for 6 players.

Some games off my 6 player shelf that might work:

Small World A nice 'next step up from Risk' game that goes quick, I think you need an expansion to play with 6 but I can't remember.

Alhambra Only played a few times but everybody seems to like it.

King of New York A little more strategy than King of Tokyo
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! needs the 5-6 player expansion.

Jamaica Not much strategy but a fun pirate racing game that plays 6.

Lords of Vegas One of our favorite games that always goes over well. Needs the Lords of Vegas: UP! expansion to play 6 but is well worth it.

Tokaido A nice game to pull out after playing some big cut-throat, in each others face game, settle everybody back down with a relaxing trip across Japan.

Dice Town Need the expansion to play with 6 but the expansion adds a lot of new game play so you'll want it anyways if you like the base game.

Camel Up Another light weight, silly game that was originally purchased for playing with our kids but gets more play time with our friends. It's nice to play between heavier games and just have silly fun betting on camels and watching everything fall apart. We recently got the Camel Up: Supercup expansion and have started adding in parts of that for more variety.

I know a bunch of my recommendations also require buying an expansion but, like others have mentioned, games that play up to 6 are harder to find. A lot of the options will be like I mentioned, 4-5 player games that eventually got a player bump to 6 with an expansion.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.