Subject: How many Settlements do I need to score a Castle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Mattson
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Seems like a simple question, but please read the whole thing before responding.

On page 3, near the bottom (in my English book), there is a heading for "Castle Hex" that reads as follows.

At the end of the game, players will earn 3 gold for each castle hex if they have built at least one of their own settlements next to it.
<picture here>
Players earn 3 gold only even if they have built more than one settlements next to a castle hex.

These two sentences (seem to) conflict, where one says that you only need one castle-settlement and the other says you need more than one castle-settlement.

My guess is that it's a translation issue, but which is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Mattson
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Looking into the original German rules has shed some light on this issue. In German, the right-side text reads as follows:

Auch wenn mehr als eine eigene Siedlung an ein Burgfeld angrenzt, erhält der Spieler nur 3 Gold.
--translating into--
Even if more than one own settlement adjoins a castle field, the player receives only 3 gold.

Now, I'm just hoping that someone at agrees with me that the sentence is confusing in the English rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No conflict. You need only one settlement to score a given castle. Additional settlements at a single castle confer no further benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Mattson
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks! I struggled a long time on whether or not to post the question. I looked through old posts and FAQ.

It didn't occur to me to check other translations until I'd already posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second sentence is correct, but the word order makes it less clear than it could be. Try this on:
Quote:
Players earn only 3 gold, even if they have built more than one settlement next to a castle hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodguy5 wrote:

Players earn 3 gold only even if they have built more than one settlements next to a castle hex.

I think it's just a missing comma between the words only & even.

Players earn 3 gold only, even if they have built more than one settlements next to a castle hex.

Plus it would read really awkwardly otherwise... the word even would be out of place. If the word "even" were removed, then it would totally change the meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not see any contradiction

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/even%20if
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodguy5 wrote:
On page 3, near the bottom (in my English book), there is a heading for "Castle Hex" that reads as follows.

At the end of the game, players will earn 3 gold for each castle hex if they have built at least one ]of their own settlements next to it.
<picture here>

These two sentences (seem to) conflict, where one says that you only need one castle-settlement and the other says you need more than one castle-settlement.

The "need" more than one in your restatement is not a proper interpretation of the original text "even if" more than one. The two are not equivalent, so I see no conflict.

But you get credit for quoting the actual rule in presenting your case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodguy5 wrote:
Players earn 3 gold only even if they have built more than one settlements next to a castle hex.[/i]

Side issue. Something there caught my eye and sent me to unbox my own printed rules to check if you might have made a typo. Instead I judge it as a publisher's grammatical error. In that context "settlements" should be singular.

one or more settlements
more settlements than one

but more than one settlement (singular)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Mattson
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your help!

I'm gonna still chalk it up to a translation error and my own tendency to overthink things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.