$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 81.6

5,454 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.4% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » General

Subject: Best map with 6 players ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I own all the map, I've played almost all of them with 3-5 players..

We are planning a 6 players game soon. According to you, which map is the best for 6 player ?

Got 5 new-power grid players. I think I will suffer a bit but so be it

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're all fine with the various player counts. But for 5 new players I'd recommend the base game's Germany map, just because it seems better for newbies to learn the base game first, and the more homogeneous Germany map seems to confuse newbies less than the US map with its very cheap and very expensive regions.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the Iberia map which is fairly homogeneous as to connection costs, so the new players won't suffer too much from initial placement. The "no nuke" zone needs to be explained, but that's not too hard.

Good luck with the game and report back how it went.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

I was hesitating between Quebec(we are all coming from there) or a more generic map (Germany). Quebec is a fun one to play, just not sure with the 6 players count (including 5 new players).

I might go with a safer bet.
Thanks
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's a case of best map, more which maps to avoid.

Italy is terrible for 6, 1 or 2 players will spend 2 hours with no chance after the early builds because of the map shape. India is great but a long game for 6, with its slow economy and drawn out (but fun) resource buying. Britain is a dull map for any number. I don't like the America map; some do.

Of the rest the rectangular maps are reasonable (Spain, Germany, East Europe), Brazil I like but my favourites are China (map can be friendly or mean depending on region removed) and Nordic (lots of good clusters, variation of plants).

Most of my games are with 6 players - makes for some very punchy auctions and volatile resource markets.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
Italy is terrible for 6, 1 or 2 players will spend 2 hours with no chance after the early builds because of the map shape.


Uhhhhh, no. Italy is great with 6 because the northern part of the map is so cheap that no one gets cornered. If you think you got squeezed playing on the Italy map you are not playing correctly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
PaulinTheLion wrote:
Italy is terrible for 6, 1 or 2 players will spend 2 hours with no chance after the early builds because of the map shape.


Uhhhhh, no. Italy is great with 6 because the northern part of the map is so cheap that no one gets cornered. If you think you got squeezed playing on the Italy map you are not playing correctly.


So should all the players start in the North?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 new players I second Germany. They should learn the base game, not a map with tweaks. For experienced players, sure go another map. Korea is "fun" with six devil but definitely not for a first time game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:

Italy is terrible for 6, 1 or 2 players will spend 2 hours with no chance after the early builds because of the map shape.


I played Italy with 5/6 players at least 10 times and never had particular issues. Well, of course it's a tight map, and you have to battle almost every round, but this is something I really enjoy cool (I hate easy maps like Benelux).
...anyway, I recommend the Germany map too. Don't overwhelm newbies with new rules.
With experienced players, I consider Korea the best (and probably most difficult) map overall, especially with 5-6 players
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benelux is very fast. I've done it in 90 minutes with six.

Good ol' USA is good with six, but to make it more interesting, kick out the Northeast and put the whole West Coast in play... or do a "horse shoe" with one of the two middle regions out devil

PG Deluxe seems to accommodate six quite well on either map.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:

Good ol' USA is good with six, but to make it more interesting, kick out the Northeast and put the whole West Coast in play... or do a "horse shoe" with one of the two middle regions out devil


We do the "horseshoe" trick all the time with all maps cool much more blood spilled!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We do the "horseshoe" trick all the time with all maps cool much more blood spilled!!


Have you tried the doughnut? (France)

We did it once. I did not think it was as bad as people said, but one guy was pissed off when he got blocked in (connection cost was something like 70+ to get out)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
So should all the players start in the North?

No. If the first five players start in the north the sixth player should start south of them. If there is not a lot of space for you in the south, start in the north where you can always build over people.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
PaulinTheLion wrote:
So should all the players start in the North?

No. If the first five players start in the north the sixth player should start south of them. If there is not a lot of space for you in the south, start in the north where you can always build over people.


One of my friends (maybe he's reading this thread too cool) ALWAYS starts in Reggio Calabria for "ancestral" reasons. I'm pretty sure he never won a game cool
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
Quote:
We do the "horseshoe" trick all the time with all maps cool much more blood spilled!!


Have you tried the doughnut? (France)

We did it once. I did not think it was as bad as people said, but one guy was pissed off when he got blocked in (connection cost was something like 70+ to get out)


Of course cool
In fact, we almost always exclude the easier regions (lower costs). And when some absurd (but valid) region configuration is possible, we usually end up with it cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always favor fast maps when it comes to newbies or large groups. Benelux would be my pick or USA if not available. Germany is good, but way slower.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
I always favor fast maps when it comes to newbies or large groups. Benelux would be my pick or USA if not available. Germany is good, but way slower.


I get your point, but (IMHO) Benelux is WAY too easy to give the feeling of how the real Power Grid works. It mainly depends on the kind of newbies you're dealing with. If they are tendentially competitive, they would probably like the game more when playing on Germany. If they don't, Benelux could be a viable choice (but misleading: it's by far the easier map...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately the game has been delayed and will be played only in 2 weeks cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.